You dont tip the photographer , but we must to tip the waiter!!

Yeah , Im sure we all can taste the difference betwenn coke and pepsi

I can get a 99cent double cheeseburger anywhere but I am sure most of us can taste the difference between eating at McDonald's, Fuddruckers, and Ruth's Chris.

so , unless I eat at a fee restaurant , i wont get a great service>, even when I paid for the full cruise fare ?

It's not just about the service. I can get great service at Denny's. It's about the attention to detail and the specialized food and preparation you get from a smaller venue where the waitstaff are serving a much, much smaller ratio of passengers than in the MDR where your waiter may be serving upwards of 20 people at several different tables and the food is made in mass.

Here are several pictures from my last cruise of the MDR and of the Specialty Restaurant. You can see that the 'experience' of dining in a more intimate venue, and not just the food, has it's own rewards:

Main Dining Room

6514598761_d766086ffa_z.jpg

6514599909_bc4248cc20_z.jpg

6514608493_db63f0f9e2_z.jpg

Specialty Restaurant

6513597761_4381b84395_z.jpg

6513599085_a9809a15a5_z.jpg

6513538823_9d067dda85_z.jpg

I do not agree with the OP but as some one who applied and was accepted for a job as a cruise ship photographer,

I can tell you the that the salary is not that good and most of your wage was made up of commission on sales,

you were told to push your sales as hard as possible.

Now you know why the photographers are such a pain in the backside they are trying to earn a decent wage.

By the way I turned the job down I don't like hardselling and ripping people off on behalf of a photographic agency thats trying to rip me off at the same time (rent of photographic equipment and lab even if your own equipment is better quality)

1. Wants to get a reaction by posting argumentative comments

Or

2. Isn't very travel savvy and actually may be unable to understand the basic rules of of life.

My money is on number 1.

No..no, my money is definitely on #2. :D

I wonder why people don’t tip the photographer, the security guy,

the guy with the costume when you get off the ship or the guy cleaning the elevator bottoms?

Its funny how some people defend by all means when someone is trying on cutting the tip for the waiter or the steward ,

what make them so special that we have to tip them?

people don’t tip the photographer and he/she takes pic of you everyday or the security he is watching us every night but wait ,

we must tip the waiter and the steward , it makes no sense to me

So, using your warped logic, we should also tip the Captain? After all he's keeping you safe on your vacation and getting you to your destination.

It's simple. Salaried vs base + tips as someone else said. I waited tables during college and got a low base + tips. I now am salaried and do not get tips. Very, very simple.

BTW, your statement about defending people cutting the tip has absolutely nothing to do with your so called argument. You're not making any sense at all. I, for one have never defended anyone stiffing the staff. We tip well. Also, you probably don't know this, but I'm pretty sure the salaried staff cannot accept tips.

P.S. On a side note during my last cruise (10-nts Western Caribbean) I never used the ships photographers service, not at all, never.

However during that same 10-night cruise I did EAT and SLEEP and rather enjoyed the services provided by the hotel and restaurant staff quite a few times, every single day, multiple times a day. A LOT as a matter of fact.

And unlike the ships photographers the hotel and restaurant staff didn't charge me $20 (the cost of an 8X10 picture) or $100 (the cost of a picture package) every time that I used or benefited from their services.

I really don't think the OP actually thought this out before posting the thread. :rolleyes:

I am with you. We never use the ship photographer - walk past them when getting on/off the ship, tell them no thank you if they come over at dinner, and don't wait in line for them to take a picture of us with a backdrop.

Eating and sleeping are definately part of the vacation.

the guy with the costume when you get off the ship or the guy cleaning the elevator bottoms?

Its funny how some people defend by all means when someone is trying on cutting the tip for the waiter or the steward ,

people don’t tip the photographer and he/she takes pic of you everyday or the security he is watching us every night but wait ,

:cool:This is another example why I sure enjoyed the good old days. People understood how the system worked, and were able to own a coat for formal nights. Now the last two days, we have had at least three threads regarding tipping. I have no problem with our English friends. I realize customs are different, and they have questions. BUT when in Rome, do as the Romans. This fool is just an idiot looking for attention. The crew on the ships work hard for a little bit of money. Pay up or stay at home folks:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

:cool:This is another example why I sure enjoyed the good old days. People understood how the system worked, and were able to own a coat for formal nights. Now the last two days, we have had at least three threads regarding tipping. I have no problem with our English friends. I realize customs are different, and they have questions. BUT when in Rome, do as the Romans. This fool is just an idiot looking for attention. The crew on the ships work hard for a little bit of money. Pay up or stay at home folks:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN
Obviously,why respond to someone just out to aggravate people.:o

Do British people not tip then? As far as I am aware the custom here is to leave roughly 10% of a restaurant bill as a tip. Although in London it's more like 15%.
I agree and my following comments are not directed at yourself, so please don't take offence.

Yes, in the UK, we do tip when cruising, especially if pre paying gratuities for My Time Dining. Then again it appears we in the UK are all tarred with the same brush and I'm getting very tired of it.

Perhaps as well as posting copies of the Cruise Compasses and associated flyers from our last cruise to help fellow CC'ers, I'll start scanning my SeaPass account to show the extra tips added to bar bills entered against the 'Additional Tip' line and publish those. Oh and while I am it, I'll photograph the additional envelopes showing the cash tips for Diamond Lounge staff that are not included in the pre plaid gratuities that I give out.

Have I missed anything? Hope not, would hate to be accused of stiffing the staff.

Methinks Netgear2020 MAY be from the UK, but he/she definitely is one of the following:

1. Wants to get a reaction by posting argumentative comments

Or

2. Isn't very travel savvy and actually may be unable to understand the basic rules of of life.

My money is on number 1.

Hope not (from the UK that is) :D

At home, (at least, in the USA!) you tip the waitstaff in a restaurant. You don't tip the salesperson in a store. In a hotel, you tip the housekeeper who cleans your room...you don't tip the front desk staff.

It's the traditional way of doing things.

I agree and my following comments are not directed at yourself, so please don't take offence.

Yes, in the UK, we do tip when cruising, especially if pre paying gratuities for My Time Dining. Then again it appears we in the UK are all tarred with the same brush and I'm getting very tired of it.

Perhaps as well as posting copies of the Cruise Compasses and associated flyers from our last cruise to help fellow CC'ers, I'll start scanning my SeaPass account to show the extra tips added to bar bills entered against the 'Additional Tip' line and publish those. Oh and while I am it, I'll photograph the additional envelopes showing the cash tips for Diamond Lounge staff that are not included in the pre plaid gratuities that I give out.

Have I missed anything? Hope not, would hate to be accused of stiffing the staff.

No offence here. I'm from Essex! I've not been on these forums long and only been on one cruise so far so was a bit surprised to hear we have a reputation for not tipping! As far as I am aware the custom for tipping is the same both sides of the Atlantic.

It's very simple. They tell you for whom gratuities are suggested. They even tell you how much! It's really sad that you can't seem to figure this out. You must really struggle in life. I mean, if you can't understand the very straightforward list they provide MULTIPLE TIMES before the end of your cruise, I can only imagine how much you must struggle with all of life's other pedestrian decisions....

At home, (at least, in the USA!) you tip the waitstaff in a restaurant. You don't tip the salesperson in a store. In a hotel, you tip the housekeeper who cleans your room...you don't tip the front desk staff.

It's the traditional way of doing things.

how about when you are not in a restaurant or a hotel , but in a cruise ship?;)

I believe OP was just wanting to stir the pot...looks like he/she succeeded.

I agree.

I wish CC has an option to Ignore Threads...I hate all the clutter for threads discussing the same issue over and over. Though I'll admit this one has a slightly different (and more bizarre) take on the subject.

Simple. The waitstaff brings me my meal and the steward cleans my room. I like that!:D On the otherhand, the photographer is a pain in the arse!;)

EXACTLY my thoughts. :D

Simple. The waitstaff brings me my meal and the steward cleans my room. I like that!:D On the otherhand, the photographer is a pain in the arse!;)

Maybe we should tip them to leave us alone.

DON

The pay scale is different. Have you ever heard of commissioned employees? They are paid differently, too. I suspect the photographers are compensated to a degree this way which is why they are in your face so much. Have you ever thought of paying them to GO AWAY!!! LOL

Obviously you are not a US citizen or a citizen of a country where people perform services for mostly tips. Our system works and we grow up learning who to tip and who not to tip. Most adults are of the mental capacity to still learn this even if they didn't grow up learning it naturally.

My very good Australian friend was staying with us and when I took her to Target to shop, as she was paying she leaned over to me and asked, "should I tip her?", about the girl who was the cashier. I explained to her why cashiers don't make tips. So I do understand the possible confusion...at first.

I once had a teacher in junior high who loved to use the expression - "you're wearing your ignorance as a badge of courage."

If the shoe fits...... :rolleyes:

Gina

Archived