You dont tip the photographer , but we must to tip the waiter!!

The pay scale is different. Have you ever heard of commissioned employees? They are paid differently, too. I suspect the photographers are compensated to a degree this way which is why they are in your face so much. Have you ever thought of paying them to GO AWAY!!! LOL

Obviously you are not a US citizen or a citizen of a country where people perform services for mostly tips. Our system works and we grow up learning who to tip and who not to tip. Most adults are of the mental capacity to still learn this even if they didn't grow up learning it naturally.

My very good Australian friend was staying with us and when I took her to Target to shop, as she was paying she leaned over to me and asked, "should I tip her?", about the girl who was the cashier. I explained to her why cashiers don't make tips. So I do understand the possible confusion...at first.

I once had a teacher in junior high who loved to use the expression - "you're wearing your ignorance as a badge of courage."

If the shoe fits...... :rolleyes:

Gina

There is no confusion here. Some people are cheap.

There is no confusion here. Some people are cheap.

Well, my friend WAS confused. But she's not ignorant so she learned quickly. There is definitely confusion for new tippers from other countries since the percentage isn't the same for each service. They really don't know who works for wages, tips, or commission. But once told, the educable accept the cultural standards and abide by them. :D

Gina

Well, my friend WAS confused. But she's not ignorant so she learned quickly. There is definitely confusion for new tippers from other countries since the percentage isn't the same for each service. They really don't know who works for wages, tips, or commission. But once told, the educable accept the cultural standards and abide by them. :D

Gina

My comment wasn't about your friend but someone else. ;)

It's true that the photographers are on a better wage - but they must make their weekly quota to get their full wage. And to make the quota they need to TAKE photos. Not SELL photos - just take them.

If you want to be kind to the photographers and help them get their wage - just stand in fornt of the camera for them, especially on the gangway and before dinner.

Raina

No offence here. I'm from Essex! I've not been on these forums long and only been on one cruise so far so was a bit surprised to hear we have a reputation for not tipping! As far as I am aware the custom for tipping is the same both sides of the Atlantic.
Oh stick around and I promise you'll never cease to be surprised at the barbed comments directed at us Brits (and others) on here when we don't agree with some, not all, but some of the more vocal. Makes good entertainment sometimes, but the tipping accusations are wearing me out, especially when you try to have a sensible debate.

I wonder why people don’t tip the photographer, the security guy,

the guy with the costume when you get off the ship or the guy cleaning the elevator bottoms?

Its funny how some people defend by all means when someone is trying on cutting the tip for the waiter or the steward ,

what make them so special that we have to tip them?

people don’t tip the photographer and he/she takes pic of you everyday or the security he is watching us every night but wait ,

we must tip the waiter and the steward , it makes no sense to me

Seriously???? Oh brother....at a loss for words!

I sure hope not! Let us not forget we are brethen seperated solely by a common language!

Seriously, different customs....different expectations.

When it comes to tipping, you will see the barbs aimed at those that KNOW BETTER and are...let me see, the right word...is....CHEAP!

You Brits have adjusted very nicely to the American Cruise model....and you are respected for your inquiries and your courtesy!!

I sure hope not! Let us not forget we are brethen seperated solely by a common language!

Seriously, different customs....different expectations.

When it comes to tipping, you will see the barbs aimed at those that KNOW BETTER and are...let me see, the right word...is....CHEAP!

You Brits have adjusted very nicely to the American Cruise model....and you are respected for your inquiries and your courtesy!!

You know I was only referring to some, as I said not all, although a common language, now mmm, there are many British sayings that can get me in hot water over the pond, and the same just this way too :D

Methinks Netgear2020 MAY be from the UK, but he/she definitely is one of the following:

1. Wants to get a reaction by posting argumentative comments

Or

2. Isn't very travel savvy and actually may be unable to understand the basic rules of of life.

My money is on number 1.

My money is on another possibility.:D

There used to be someone around who always posted ridiculous things and just seemed to want to stir the pot to get a reaction. If you look at this person's profile, there's a picture of flip flops. That other poster used a flip flop picture and also one of torn jeans....although expensive ones.:rolleyes: Also, that other person is no longer listed as a CC member.;)

Looks like a reincarnation of a former someone.:p

actually , the restaurant staff charge you even higher than the $20 for the 8x10 , the restaurant staff cgarge over $25 for speciallty restaurant :confused:

But you do have the option of eating in the MDR. We never eat in the specialty restaurants.

Photographers onboard RCI ships work for the concessionaire and aren't technically employees of Royal Caribbean. Aside from that, tipping wait staff and the people who clean your room is considered to be the norm in the hospitality industry, especially in the US. I know of no situation on land or on the sea where tips are suggested for photographers or most other persons (aside from the spas) who work for a concessionaire on any cruise line. Perhaps our younger generations have not been sufficiently exposed to traditional tipping practices, but the recent rise in complaints about tipping seems to reflect this lack of understanding about the process as well as an appreciation of the value of the services being provided by those working to make our cruises a wonderful experience.

My money is on another possibility.:D

There used to be someone around who always posted ridiculous things and just seemed to want to stir the pot to get a reaction. If you look at this person's profile, there's a picture of flip flops. That other poster used a flip flop picture and also one of torn jeans....although expensive ones.:rolleyes: Also, that other person is no longer listed as a CC member.;)

Looks like a reincarnation of a former someone.:p

I was thinking the same thing

tipping wait staff and the people who clean your room is considered to be the norm in the hospitality industry, especially in the US. .

So you tip the housekeeper 15% when you stay in a hotel?? or $5 pp per day??

Yes, almost. We usually do $5 a day total. The service in a hotel isn't quite as detailed as on a ship and it's only once a day. The standard isn't based on a percentage. Although in luxury hotels or a suite, we may tip more depending on service received.

Gina

But you do have the option of eating in the MDR. We never eat in the specialty restaurants.

but again, you wont find "attention to detail and the specialized food and preparation you get " in th MDR even when you pay full fare:p

when I only stay one night?

are you suppouse to pay for the gas the 1st time you drove the car from the dealer?:)

If you are driving away from a new car dealer with a new car you just bought and the tank is not full of gas shame on you.

Yes, almost. We usually do $5 a day total. The service in a hotel isn't quite as detailed as on a ship and it's only once a day. The standard isn't based on a percentage. Although in luxury hotels or a suite, we may tip more depending on service received.

Gina

Your very nice

when I only stay one night?

I never tip them extra unless I ask them for something extra. They are hired to do a job and get paid at least minimum wage.

I dont feel sorry for room stewards on cruise ships either they make $800-$900 a week in tips besides room and board and whatever wages they make from the cruiseline.

I always tip the housekeeper when I stay at a hotel even for one night. Their work isn't magnified by the number of nights that I stay nor is it undeserving of reward because my stay isn't longer. I don't know where you came up with the 15% figure. :confused: The suggested tips for room stewards isn't anything like that amount and I doubt that the hotel industry standard for tipping the housekeepers is anything like 15%, I love it when people like you figure out just how much money the workers on cruises make. Somehow the actual numbers never seem to match those inflated estimates, but you know what they say about figures. Perhaps we should all give up our day jobs and take on a new career as a room steward so that we can live in luxury.

Archived