Emerald Princess missing Oslo today

80pence

Whilst checking to make sure that the Emerald was proceeding as planned and continuing to look forward to my first cruise, I noticed that today upon getting most of the way up the Oslo Fjord, she made a U-turn and began heading to the next port of call (Aarhus).

Don't think the weather was bad (but I'm not there so obviously can't be sure!

Anyone have any clues as to why she wouldn't visit Oslo?

Also, does this happen often (that a port gets missed that is)?

Thanks in advance,

80p

I think I may be able to answer my own question. I got this through from our company travel alert service...

"Norway: State, municipal employees strike nationwide over wage issues

24-May-2012 08:40:11 AM (GMT)

OSLO, May 24, 2012 (AFP) - State employees went on strike in Norway for the first time in nearly three decades Thursday after salary negotiations broke down overnight, impacting on schools, day care centres and even prisons.

Some 10,000 of LO's members did not show up for work Thursday, affecting among others municipal administrations, traffic and harbour authorities.

Police, customs authorities and prisons were also affected, forcing for instance all prisoners at one prison to be transferred to other facilities, NTB reported."

Hope it all gets sorted soon!

I have a friend on that cruise too. I noticed on the web cam that they were on their way to Aarhaus. Now I have the answer. How disappointing, especially since Princess has one of the few itineraries that go to Oslo. We are on this cruise in August so hopefully it's all settled.

Whilst checking to make sure that the Emerald was proceeding as planned and continuing to look forward to my first cruise, I noticed that today upon getting most of the way up the Oslo Fjord, she made a U-turn and began heading to the next port of call (Aarhus).

Don't think the weather was bad (but I'm not there so obviously can't be sure!

Anyone have any clues as to why she wouldn't visit Oslo?

Also, does this happen often (that a port gets missed that is)?

Thanks in advance,

80p

Our Baltic cruise they couldn't get into Stockholm because of high winds. They docked in a small part about an hour south of the city. Shuttle buses were provided for those on Princess excursions. Directions to train station were given to those not on Princess excursions.

Too bad! The Viking Museum was one of the highlights of the cruise for us.

What a bummer!

I agree that the Viking Museum is absolutely awesome, as is the folk museum and the Norwegian Resistance Museum.

So sorry for those onboard the Emerald. Hope the rest of the cruise is great.

Oslo is great and the folk museum and the Viking Museum are wonderful. If the employees are municipal that are striking then I just bet the museums etc would not be open either. 30 years without a strike and they chose my day in port -- what a bummer. Permission for a w(h)ine break. Oslo and the whole Baltic cruise is so wonderful. But is it warmed up there yet?

This is not the first time that this has happened at Oslo. We were on the Grand Princess in May 2010 on a fjords cruise. We got as far as the dock but the captain refused to tie up due to an impending pilot strike. He advised the passengers that if he let the pilot off the ship and they went on strike then he would be stuck in Oslo, so he decided to turn around and sail out again. You can read the story here.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3899

Luckily we had been to Oslo before, but it is a great port with plenty to see and do.

Happy Cruising - Mick

So sad not to get to Oslo. As others have mentioned the Viking Museum was on our bucket list but the unexpected highlight was Vigeland park. It's been many years since we were there and it still rates as one of most incredible highlights of our many cruises!!

This is not the first time that this has happened at Oslo. We were on the Grand Princess in May 2010 on a fjords cruise. We got as far as the dock but the captain refused to tie up due to an impending pilot strike. He advised the passengers that if he let the pilot off the ship and they went on strike then he would be stuck in Oslo, so he decided to turn around and sail out again. You can read the story here.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3899

Luckily we had been to Oslo before, but it is a great port with plenty to see and do.

Happy Cruising - Mick

I believe we were on the same cruise. I was so disappointed as I had booked the cruise because of it's stop in Oslo. I can truly sympathize with everyone on the Emerald. We just got off her on May 12th after completing her TA to Copenhagen. We did get to make Oslo this time. It is a great city. So sorry everyone is missing it.

Cathi, Are you on the Emerald Princess now? Did they explain why you guys had to skip Oslo and have they said if they're worried about needing to skip other Norwegian ports?

That's what I was thinking as well....If it's a national Norway Union job action, it would affect ALL Norway ports, right ?

Louzy timing as June is the big month for sailings in that superb area all over Norway...and all lines have approx 2 voyages each featuring a large number of Norway spectacular ports and Fjords ( where pilot is defenitely needed....)

Too bad

Cheers

Archived