Which side is better?

The side of the ship doesn't matter much, unless you're on an itinerary that will travel close to shore and you think you'll be able to see something worthwhile. In that case the "best side" of the ship depends on the ship's direction of travel. Another factor might be whether you'd rather see sunrise or sunset from your balcony - then again, your direction of travel would be the deciding factor. Much more important than port or starboard is what's above or below you, no matter whether it's a balcony or any other cabin. Make sure you're not above or below a bar or other noisy venue, or kitchen areas which will have rolling carts, etc. Check your ship's deck plans carefully!

Is one side of the ship better to get a balcony on than the other?

Txs

If you are doing a trans Atlantic, decide if you want the sunny side or the shady side.

For closed loop, really no difference.

Ships generally dock in port on one side or the other. (Should be the PORT side, don't you think?) However, I've been told that about 20% of the time the ship will dock on the opposite side for repairs, painting or specific drills that will be performed while in port.

So if you're looking to be on a specific side for views in port, there's no perfect answer. And it depends on the ship and itinerary (as already said).

As others have posted the side of the ship will vary. The DH and I pick which side the ship will face the sunrise and sunsets. Example we want to see the sunrise on the way south, but on the way back north we want to see the sunsets..so we chose our cabin accordingly. It doesn't matter if we are facing the port or not as we can always go 'top side' and get photos of the port/land etc if we want.

We use to think portside was better :p UNTIL :eek: we woke up a couple of times to find our portside view was actually facing away from the dock.

Now as long as I am on a cruise ship's balcony I will be happy.

My side.

:D

Best point made on this thread. There were a few that on the 46 night ATH, on the Mariner in '09, wanted a Port side down from Florida, to enjoy the sunrises, and avoid the afternoon glare, and once in South America, for the trip around the Horn and the return up the West Coast to Los Angeles, preferred the Starboard side, again to avoid the hot afternoon sun. I joined my DW, who had started in Cape Canaveral, in Valparaiso, Chile, and we had cabin 1320 on the starboard side of the ship for our trip home.

All of this would fall in line with the word POSH......which was used by the wealthy, in the days of sailing ships, when sailing from England to India and back.....and they thought it meant Port Out, Starboard Home, each side giving the cabin the shadow side of the hot afternoon sun.

It's a false statement, but a good one to spin a yarn, when asking what the term "posh" stands for!!

Our bookings......where ever we find a cabin that we like!:D:D

Rick

If you were a man on the Titanic, it made all the difference in the world. The officer in charge of loading the port side lifeboats interpreted "women and children first" to mean "women and children only," and didn't allow men into the boats, even when there was room. But the officer in charge on the starboard side interpreted it more literally, and allowed men into the boats when there was room and there were no more women or children immediately present.

I will grant that this is highly unlikely to be an issue on your particular cruise, so I'd go with the other comments made on this thread.

The cruise is adventure of sea Feb. 2014 southern caribbean out of san juan. 7 day.

Generally it doesn't make a huge difference but, given your itinerary you have two choices. The port side may have better views of the islands as you sail to St. Thomas and St. Kitts and again down around Aruba. Plus you'll likely have the sunset on the run back to San Juan. The starboard side will get you the sunset more often though. There are no guarantees but this is sort of the thought process I use when choosing sides.

We use to think portside was better :p UNTIL :eek: we woke up a couple of times to find our portside view was actually facing away from the dock.

Now as long as I am on a cruise ship's balcony I will be happy.

Sometimes that can be a good thing in my opinion! For example, we had a port side on Liberty and shared Labadee port with another ship, so our starboard side was the docked side. While people on the starboard side had a view of the other ship and a very busy port of call, we had a view of the sea tapering off in to the distance. Much preferred (and quieter)!

Archived