MDR vs. Steakhouse

Roxxy4me

I made reservations in the Steakhouse for our cruise in October. Instantly my soon-to-be husband poo poo'd it. His reasoning... "Why spend $60 on a steak and lobster that we can get included in the MDR?!" He is also a lover of food and really likes being able to order anything in excess in the MDR. Is that 'seconds' rule applied in the steakhouse? Are there any real advantages in booking the steakhouse?!

He can only order one entree, but you can also have app, soup, salad & a HUGE dessert. Plus they bring you excellent bread as a starter and an amuse bouche from the chef. It is SOOO much food and the quality is over & above what you get in the MDR. Try it!

I made reservations in the Steakhouse for our cruise in October. Instantly my soon-to-be husband poo poo'd it. His reasoning... "Why spend $60 on a steak and lobster that we can get included in the MDR?!" He is also a lover of food and really likes being able to order anything in excess in the MDR. Is that 'seconds' rule applied in the steakhouse? Are there any real advantages in booking the steakhouse?!

I am with your husband,save your money and go for quantity in MRD:D

Pay extra for food on a cruise ship? To each their own. I feel like i"m already being treated like royalty. Those who like to pay more, good for them, and they can help subsidize the cost of cruising for the rest of us and feel like they're getting something special for them, so a good deal for all! m--

ACtually, the steak house's dinner is sooooo filling you're almost at that "I'm going to puke" stage (think of how we feel after Thanksgiving ;)). There's no WAY he couldn't be full after eating in there. The steak....I must say was the best I have EVER had and I've eaten in some good steak houses here in ATlanta. I wasn't thrilled by the lobster tail though. It tasted like warm water lobster and the MDR's formal night lobster tasted like Maine. See, I totally perceived it would be the opposite before the cruise.

I enjoyed the steakhouse on the Conquest I guess... Service was out of this world...food quality...MEH... Bread was great....cheesecake was awesome. Shrimp cocktail was for REAL! Steak....BEAUTIFUL but full of gristle. Lobster...better in MDR.

I won't do it next time.

He can only order one entree, but you can also have app, soup, salad & a HUGE dessert. Plus they bring you excellent bread as a starter and an amuse bouche from the chef. It is SOOO much food and the quality is over & above what you get in the MDR. Try it!

On the Legend a few weeks ago, we were told that you could only order 1 starter or 1 salad or 2 starters, etc. That is the first time we had ever been limited like that before. Still alot of food, though.

We'll be sailing on Dream the week of October 20. Do you think we'll have any trouble getting a reservation on board, or is it always necessary to book well in advance? When we've sailed with RC, we've always booked Chops in advance, but, we've only sailed during the summer months when the ship is at full capacity.

Pay extra for food on a cruise ship? To each their own. I feel like i"m already being treated like royalty. Those who like to pay more, good for them, and they can help subsidize the cost of cruising for the rest of us and feel like they're getting something special for them, so a good deal for all! m--

Have to agree. We never go to the speciality restaurants on any cruise line and with the exception of NCL, never had a bad meal in the MDR's. Those who feel that they must spend extra money to get a good meal are welcome to do so and we'll just continue to "suffer through" in the MDR. :)

It was bigger but in no way better its only $30 so try it. Who knows maybe you'll have better luck.

Well, I'm with you...for $30 pp I'm willing to try the Steakhouse. We weren't disappointed with Chops or Portofino's on our RCI vacations. So, of course we have to try Carnival's Steakhouse. ;)

Archived