Personal Cruise Consultant

irisheileen

No. I wouldn't. Just be happy with things the way they are and look forward to your cruise. :) (I am sooooooooooo not willing to read through all of this to help you find your ?) :D Have a great cruise!

My question was: Any benefit to me at this point (1 day before final payment) switching to a PCC?

Price would be my goal, and maybe any other perks thrown in :D I am already satisfied with my price, just curious ;)

Thanks everyone.

When we no longer had TA's we wanted to use, we went to PCC. I never would have worked with CS whoever picked up the phone each time I called type situation. I want a relationship with a PCC that doesn't require me to remember every little detail of what we want and how we want it and waste my time telling them our wishes each an every time we book a cruises. Not interested.

If we don't have a PCC, we will find a different way to book and it won't be on the internet.

I am surprised at the number of Cruise Critic regulars who would rather not save 10% on a cruise by booking over the internet. If I save $200 on a cheap cabin, how much could suite passengers save? Sure, it costs me ten minutes to fill in a webpage with our personal details or do the same over the phone, but a $200 dollar savings in 10 minutes works out to a savings of $1200 per hour.

I would be surprised if a Personal Cruise Consultant did not spend almost as much time verifying your personal information. "Is this still your address? Is this still your telephone number? Is this still your e-mail address? Is this still your passport number. Do you still want late seating, table for 2?"

Do you decide which cruise you want to take? Do you decide which cabin you want? Do you shop around for a better price on any of your purchases?

I am surprised at the number of Cruise Critic regulars who would rather not save 10% on a cruise by booking over the internet. If I save $200 on a cheap cabin, how much could suite passengers save? Sure, it costs me ten minutes to fill in a webpage with our personal details or do the same over the phone, but a $200 dollar savings in 10 minutes works out to a savings of $1200 per hour.

I would be surprised if a Personal Cruise Consultant did not spend almost as much time verifying your personal information. "Is this still your address? Is this still your telephone number? Is this still your e-mail address? Is this still your passport number. Do you still want late seating, table for 2?"

Do you decide which cruise you want to take? Do you decide which cabin you want? Do you shop around for a better price on any of your purchases?

When I am satisfied with what I am getting, I don't often look around for an alternative. If and when I am not satisfied, I look for change.

We are very satisfied working with the PCC who has now booked us probably 40 cruises or so.

Each to their own choices, as they say. :)

It works for us.

You PCC will call you if the price goes down and make certain you get the discounted price. A PCC knows your wants, likes and needs and can advise you with more surety. Your PCC will deal with you every time you call and return your calls promptly.

A good PCC will see that you have a Bon Voyage gift waiting in your cabin. And best of all a good PCC can handle any problems that arise and take care of them for you with home office should the need arise.

We've used a HAL PCC for over 7 years and wouldn't consider any other options at this time.

^quoted for truth.

Trisha is a goggol plex correct. The PCC is yours, where a CS is first line phone person for calls going in.

We used TAs and PCCs for/from various lines, honestly our HAL PCC has proven to be the best PCC I have ever experienced. She is equal parts personal and professional; handles all questions/needs with eloquence and an attention to detail like I saved her life.

To top it off she has a great accent, Dracula's daughter purring in your ear and getting ready to convince you that a vampire is the way to be... I completely love her!

Derek

Lisa...Either your source is totally wrong or someone in HAL is misrepresenting the position in their Help wanted on-line ad..

View land-based openings at: https://www.hollandamerica.apply2jobs.com/

I bolded the commission statement..

https://www.hollandamerica.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=21190&CurrentPage=1

Personal Cruise Consultant Apply Now

Company: Holland America Line

Date Posted: April 24, 2012

PRIMARY FUNCTION: Increase sales and market share on Holland America Line cruises and Alaska cruise tours. Build personal clientele relationships by contacting leads through company's guest database and leads generated by marketing efforts. This is a salary plus commission outbound call center position. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Contact guests and clients through outbound calling efforts. 2. Apply professional sales techniques in the promotion and sale of cruises and cruisetours 3. Build personal clientele base and brand loyalty. 4. Provide superior customer service to all guests. 5. Meet department revenue and call volume standards per month and fiscal year. Unquote

Serendipity - Re commissions, Lisa explained that "commissions" can mean a number of different things, including bonuses. The ad did not define what was meant by "commissions."

Thank You Tampa Girl :)

ALL companies that pay something other than a straight salary or hourly wage will lump the additional pay into that word "commission". In my explaination I said they get paid in various different ways and it could be called a "commission" but it really is not a true commission. True Commission is being paid a percentage based on a dollar amount of sales instead they receive bonuses, One month it may be based on how many Flash sales they sell, or how many Suites. They may even make extra for new clients but they do not get a percentage from each individual person they sell to. During Wave Season they get many different goals and have contests. Their main source of Income is their salary and the "commission" is just basically incentives to make the job fun and drive them to sell more.

Again I state they do NOT make a direct commission on what they have sold YOU. It is totally possible that what they have sold you when you called in was not even on their goal for that month and your sale was not something that helped them.

Is it the same for Future Cruise Consultants aboard the ships?

I have found some to be inappropriately agressive.

Not all, of course, but some get more 'pushy' than I would like in their effort to get us to book our future suites with them.

They don't seem to like that we buy the Future Cruise Deposits but never book our cruise with them. :rolleyes:

When my PCC called to offer us an SA upsell I wasn't home, so I asked for the covering PCC when I could call back later that evening. She handled the upsell and we were very happy. When our PCC did get me for our 'welcome home call' he thanked me for accepting the upsell. Quite frankly my feelings were the other way around. :)

Anyway I guess it does make sense; he gets sales credit for an upsell and we get to enjoy the SA for less than original pricing.

Dennis

When my PCC called to offer us an SA upsell I wasn't home, so I asked for the covering PCC when I could call back later that evening. She handled the upsell and we were very happy. When our PCC did get me for our 'welcome home call' he thanked me for accepting the upsell. Quite frankly my feelings were the other way around. :)

Anyway I guess it does make sense; he gets sales credit for an upsell and we get to enjoy the SA for less than original pricing.

Dennis

I am the OP and now you have me wondering this...if I switch to a PCC today, my final payment day, (still happy with the price agreed upon for a K inside)will I then have a better chance of an upsell to a Lanai or Balcony than if I just stayed with the CS who booked me? I would consider an upsell for a good price. I didn't choose a guarrentee because I just don't want my K sideways changed. An upsell I would consider!

There is no definitve answer to your question.

No one can say you have better chance getting something better than what you booked by using a PCC over a regular Customer Service Rep or TA or over booking on your own over the internet.

When you speak with the rep to make your final payment, tell them you do not want an upgrade without your approval but would consider an upsell.

I am the OP and now you have me wondering this...if I switch to a PCC today, my final payment day, (still happy with the price agreed upon for a K inside)will I then have a better chance of an upsell to a Lanai or Balcony than if I just stayed with the CS who booked me? I would consider an upsell for a good price. I didn't choose a guarrentee because I just don't want my K sideways changed. An upsell I would consider!

To answer your question "No" it will not make a difference if you change to a PCC now or not for the simple fact of an Up Sell offer. There are other factors which go into play that determine if an upsell offer will even happen. You chances will be exactly the same.

Thank You Tampa Girl :)

ALL companies that pay something other than a straight salary or hourly wage will lump the additional pay into that word "commission". In my explaination I said they get paid in various different ways and it could be called a "commission" but it really is not a true commission. True Commission is being paid a percentage based on a dollar amount of sales instead they receive bonuses, One month it may be based on how many Flash sales they sell, or how many Suites. They may even make extra for new clients but they do not get a percentage from each individual person they sell to. During Wave Season they get many different goals and have contests. Their main source of Income is their salary and the "commission" is just basically incentives to make the job fun and drive them to sell more.

Again I state they do NOT make a direct commission on what they have sold YOU. It is totally possible that what they have sold you when you called in was not even on their goal for that month and your sale was not something that helped them.

Thanks Lisa I understand what you are saying..I would think that these HAL PCC's are very good salespeople & more knowledgeable than the reg CS Agents..

Thanks to you & Kazu I spoke to our Travel Agent this morning & in a minute flat he had the extra ZPM Promo included in our booking...I'm very pleased as I was almost feeling guilty about being greedy..Now I'm glad I took your advice..

Thanks so much Lisa & Jacqui..If we ever get to meet you both drinks are on us!

Cheers...:)Betty

Thanks Lisa I understand what you are saying..I would think that these HAL PCC's are very good salespeople & more knowledgeable than the reg CS Agents..

Thanks to you & Kazu I spoke to our Travel Agent this morning & in a minute flat he had the extra ZPM Promo included in our booking...I'm very pleased as I was almost feeling guilty about being greedy..Now I'm glad I took your advice..

Thanks so much Lisa & Jacqui..If we ever get to meet you both drinks are on us!

Cheers...:)Betty

Betty, that is great :) I just was not totally for certain since your cruise was a longer voyage but I am so glad that it worked out.

So here's what has transpired since I posted the PCC question. I called HAL CS rep and asked to be connected with a PCC. Strangely enough, I was already assigned to one!! Huh?:confused: I've never heard from any PCC in the past. Apparently I had been assigned one because I've sailed HAL before.

I am transfered to him. Leave VM since his message says he is in Tues-Sat (today is Tues- yesterday Memorial day)) and will return call. Waiting, waiting the rest of the day.

I call HAL again they transfer me to another PCC "who is taking my PCC's calls" since he is off today, Tuesday. He hasn't picked up any messages for "my" PCC but is very helpful. I politely ask why, when I booked 5/4/12 with a CS rep, they didn't put me through to "my" PCC at that time. Apparently, the computer systems don't work together between the CS and PCC! :confused: CS reps are not aware if we have a PCC according to him. (But how did the CS know when I asked earlier today for a PCC?)

The PCC I did talk to today said that since I am "in cancellation period" today, my final payment day, I can't give my PCC the booking!!! Yesterday, a Holiday, I could have.

So bottom line is that I was advised to "keep calling" "my" PCC in future weeks to see about possible upsells. He won't be calling, servicing me-I have to call him. Nice, huh?

Now, I am very detail oriented and love planning, booking my vacations so I will stay on top of it, no problem. My point is just to give all of you the information, for those that were unaware as I was.:) I'm not complaining- no flames please.

I was told that NO a HAL PCC does NOT receive commission they do however receive a bonus based on number of cruises they sell and dollars that have been set for their goal but they do not receive a direct commission for your indivual booking. Gifts they give are the basic VIP that gives a bottle of Champagne, Pinnacle Lunch or dinner based on the dollar amount of the cruise and a bouquet of flowers.

That was my understanding too. We had a PCC who I liked but transferred to an outside agent when I realized there would be a large OBC. I felt bad and asked this person if he would loose a large commission. He said he worked on salary and the bonus was so small not to worry about it. I did later book a cruise directly through him and left it in place. It was a sold out short cruise and I hoped he would secure a 2 top that we wanted and he did.

My question was: Any benefit to me at this point (1 day before final payment) switching to a PCC?

Price would be my goal, and maybe any other perks thrown in :D I am already satisfied with my price, just curious ;)

Thanks everyone.

You can't switch. You are already booked through some Sales agent at HAL.

Lisa...Either your source is totally wrong or someone in HAL is misrepresenting the position in their Help wanted on-line ad..

View land-based openings at: https://www.hollandamerica.apply2jobs.com/

I bolded the commission statement..

https://www.hollandamerica.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=21190&CurrentPage=1

Personal Cruise Consultant Apply Now

Company: Holland America Line

Date Posted: April 24, 2012

PRIMARY FUNCTION: Increase sales and market share on Holland America Line cruises and Alaska cruise tours. Build personal clientele relationships by contacting leads through company's guest database and leads generated by marketing efforts. This is a salary plus commission outbound call center position. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Contact guests and clients through outbound calling efforts. 2. Apply professional sales techniques in the promotion and sale of cruises and cruisetours 3. Build personal clientele base and brand loyalty. 4. Provide superior customer service to all guests. 5. Meet department revenue and call volume standards per month and fiscal year. Unquote

Agree the OP is not wrong..She just quoted the HAL Help Wanted AD..

To the OP..IMO it's probably too late for you to deal with a PCC..Your cruise is booked & ready for final payment..I don't understand what else you are looking for at this stage of the game..When you book your next cruise, perhaps you should request a PCC or go through a good Travel Agent..

Cheers..Betty

But it could be a small commission/bonus like $15.00 per Sale.

I agree.

I know I'm repeating myself but why do we need to know what anyone else is paid and how? Why is that information that is any of our business? :confused: I'd be offended if someone asked me about my pay when I used to work and I expect most people feel that way.

You can't switch. You are already booked through some Sales agent at HAL.

The PCC I did talk to today said that since I am "in cancellation period" today, my final payment day, I can't give my PCC the booking!!! Yesterday, a Holiday, I could have.

I could have assigned my booking to a PCC, just not today. I could also have transferred it to a TA.

Well Folks, this was a heated read...

I love my PCC at HAL. She knows what I like and she is always responsive. She is also willing to communicate with me via email which I really apprecaiate. I have a PCC at NCL too and they seem to have real issues with email or outbound calling.

My HAL PCC makes we feel special when she invites us to have a complimentary lunch and tour when the ships are in Seattle at port. That is a perk I don't think a TA could offer, but I could be wrong.

As for her salary, I agree with some of the other comments previously stated. It really makes no difference how she is paid as long as it is a fair compensation plan. I just want to recieved good service which I define as timely, polite and accurate.

I agree.

I know I'm repeating myself but why do we need to know what anyone else is paid and how? Why is that information that is any of our business? :confused: I'd be offended if someone asked me about my pay when I used to work and I expect most people feel that way.

If a PCC works on commission, some people will feel bad about taking up their time and then switching their booking to another agent that saves them 10%.

Choices....... we all make choices.

Some of us choose to remain with the PCC. Some do not.

If the saving is that much and that important, maybe they shouldn't take up the PCC's time if they know they intend to transfer the booking to the TA that gives the best price?

Why are they using the PCC to begin with?

I am not being a 'smart alec'. I mean this as a sincere question.

Many people book with a PCC because that is what they thought was best and later realize they might be able to get something different. But the most frequent reason is because they were contacted directly by HAL to see if they are interested in booking especially if they have an open Future Cruise deposit.

It was about 6 months ago, right after we got home from our Hawaii cruise before I had applied the Future Cruise deposit I had purchased I received a phone call and the lady calling stated she was with Holland America and she was my Personal Cruise Consultant and wanted to know if I had a cruise in mind for using my Future Cruise Deposit.

I have to admit I was shocked and had never received such a call. I think my comment was "Really??" Then I explained about myself and she thanked me for letting her know. OK well first off I have never used a HAL PCC so to have her say she was assigned to me.

Now I must say that in the past two years I have also received a couple of emails from HAL stating that person was our PCC. Just my personal opinion this postion may get a bit more turn over and the new people they hire are assigned to getting a client base and they work off the Future Cruise Deposit list. If this is the case then they are contacting people that already have a Travel Agent and sadly many people just do not know the difference.

Archived