Personal Cruise Consultant

irisheileen

I was wondering about the difference between a PCC and CS rep so I googled it and found this job description. My question is, why HAL would have both postions? My daughters used to both work for an Internet agency. One was in sales and answered the phones first. The other daughter was in CS and only solved problems refered to her via the agent. So, curious why it seems to be the opposite with HAL directly.

Am I missing something? I booked with HAL myself and dealt with a CS, I realize now. Any benefit to me at this point (1 day before final payment) switching to a PCC?

Personal Cruise Consultant Apply Now

Company: Holland America Line

Date Posted: April 24, 2012

PRIMARY FUNCTION: Increase sales and market share on Holland America Line cruises and Alaska cruise tours. Build personal clientele relationships by contacting leads through company's guest database and leads generated by marketing efforts. This is a salary plus commission outbound call center position. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Contact guests and clients through outbound calling efforts. 2. Apply professional sales techniques in the promotion and sale of cruises and cruisetours 3. Build personal clientele base and brand loyalty. 4. Provide superior customer service to all guests. 5. Meet department revenue and call volume standards per month and fiscal year.

I was wondering about the difference between a PCC and CS rep so I googled it and found this job description. My question is, why HAL would have both postions? My daughters used to both work for an Internet agency. One was in sales and answered the phones first. The other daughter was in CS and only solved problems refered to her via the agent. So, curious why it seems to be the opposite with HAL directly.

Am I missing something? I booked with HAL myself and dealt with a CS, I realize now. Any benefit to me at this point (1 day before final payment) switching to a PCC?

PRIMARY FUNCTION: Increase sales and market share on Holland America Line cruises and Alaska cruise tours. Build personal clientele relationships by contacting leads through company's guest database and leads generated by marketing efforts. This is a salary plus commission outbound call center position. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Contact guests and clients through outbound calling efforts. 2. Apply professional sales techniques in the promotion and sale of cruises and cruisetours 3. Build personal clientele base and brand loyalty. 4. Provide superior customer service to all guests. 5. Meet department revenue and call volume standards per month and fiscal year.

If I was dealing with HAL directly I would only deal with a good PCC. Why? I want to talk to the same person every time. I want service and I want to feel secure and safe in my booking. I don't think I want a lot but if there is something that happens (extra obc offer) then I want to be taken care of and right now, I am very well:)

since I have a fabulous TA I have not gone that route yet - but if she retires (like my last) - I will probably go to this as it's too hard to find good TA's. ;)

You PCC will call you if the price goes down and make certain you get the discounted price. A PCC knows your wants, likes and needs and can advise you with more surety. Your PCC will deal with you every time you call and return your calls promptly.

A good PCC will see that you have a Bon Voyage gift waiting in your cabin. And best of all a good PCC can handle any problems that arise and take care of them for you with home office should the need arise.

We've used a HAL PCC for over 7 years and wouldn't consider any other options at this time.

The difference is that PCC's call clients & try to sell them a cruise..They are highly trained in cold selling & they try to build up their own client base..As stated they work on Salary & commission & have to work hard!

When one normally calls into HAL you will be put into an incoming call center & deal strictly with Reservation Agents AKA Customer Sales Agents who will make your booking & answer your questions..They normally work on salary only.. HAL's PCC's have to make cold calls to leads & they get commissions as as well as a nominal salary..Their paycheck is never the same..If they work hard & make the sales they are fine..Once they make that sale they try to keep their customers very happy so they will book with them again

I worked in an International Airline & when it was slow our Reservation Agents AKA CS Agents were asked to call clients & try to book them on a flight.Many of our Res Agents hated doing this as they also were cold calls....We also had special Agents which handled our top producers who had a special phone line into their own Agent..

IMO there are born Salesmen/women who would love to be in Outside or Direct Sales..I believe that HAL's PCC's enjoy making cold calls & get a great deal of satisfaction when they convince some one to book & they receive their commission checks..

We don't need to use a HAL PCC, we have an excellent Travel Agent who we have dealt with for years, but like Kazu if he retires, we may have to go the PCC route...

Cheers...Betty

You PCC will call you if the price goes down and make certain you get the discounted price.

A good PCC will see that you have a Bon Voyage gift waiting in your cabin.

I have not found these things to be true. I called my PCC when prices dropped (he then refared them) and didn't receive any gifts from him (wasn't really expecting any). In fact, I had a small OBC and free PG dinner coming because of a minor problem on a previous cruise, given before I had a PCC. My PCC said he provided these for me - maybe he decided these were my Bon Voyage gifts.

A third option is to use an big online cruise agency. I have saved big bucks over booking with directly with HAL or with a nearby travel agency and have never had any problems. Give me a low fare and let me buy my own bottle of wine, bouquet of fowers, or Pinnacle Grill dinner if I want one.

When we no longer had TA's we wanted to use, we went to PCC. I never would have worked with CS whoever picked up the phone each time I called type situation. I want a relationship with a PCC that doesn't require me to remember every little detail of what we want and how we want it and waste my time telling them our wishes each an every time we book a cruises. Not interested.

If we don't have a PCC, we will find a different way to book and it won't be on the internet.

Any good reason to switch to PCC today or tomorrow, which is my final payment day. The price has remained the same all along. If HAL were to drop the prices, it would most likely be the day AFTER final payment is due, correct?

In your personal experience, is a PCC more likely to be able to get their clients an upsell? If so, that would be a big advantage.

It's hard to know for sure but I would not recommend you switch to a PCC ONLY in the express hope of getting higher category than what you paid for. Their upgrade/upsell record might be the same as TA, might be better, might be worse........

I don't think that is something most of us can say for sure.

If I'm understanding this correctly, a PCC is a 'travel agent' working directly for Holland America. They receive a 'low' base salary, plus commission.

Does this mean that the perks/gifts and OBC that costumers receive, come from the PCC's own commission or does it come out of Holland America's pocket?

So, each individual PCC would be as helpful/successful as any brick/mortar or online TA, based on their sales skills. That's why it sounds like some people really like their PCC and others not so much.

If I'm understanding this correctly, a PCC is a 'travel agent' working directly for Holland America. They receive a 'low' base salary, plus commission.

Does this mean that the perks/gifts and OBC that costumers receive, come from the PCC's own commission or does it come out of Holland America's pocket?

So, each individual PCC would be as helpful/successful as any brick/mortar or online TA, based on their sales skills. That's why it sounds like some people really like their PCC and others not so much.

I was told that NO a HAL PCC does NOT receive commission they do however receive a bonus based on number of cruises they sell and dollars that have been set for their goal but they do not receive a direct commission for your indivual booking. Gifts they give are the basic VIP that gives a bottle of Champagne, Pinnacle Lunch or dinner based on the dollar amount of the cruise and a bouquet of flowers. The VIP package is given out quite often and is chalked up to cost of buisness. The PCC just asks to have this place on a booking. I am sure they cannot ask for each and every booking they do but a lot would depend on your Mariner status and the number of cruises you have booked with that particular PCC. Anything you receive above anyof these things is mostly likely coming as apersonal gift from them but then I have not heard of anything mentioned that is not what would be normal of VIP gifts.

Which BTW a regular TA can also ask HAL to have the VIP package / gifts attached as well for a very small cost but in most cases people would prefer bigger discount. ;)

A PCC really is not a TA in the usual sense.

They only can handle HAL provided air and cannot work with any air not related to booking it directly through HAL. Same for hotels. Only hotels that HAL uses.

As to OBC and 'gifts', that is very individual. PCC's, like all professionals, make relationships with their clients. Like all professionals there are some clients who provide more income stream and some less.

I think there may be a commision albeit a small amount.

But, I feel the same way about discussing PCC's salary arrangements as I do about tipping. It's not my business about PCC's pay system and I find it uncomfortable discussing how someone else is paid. I wouldn't want them talking about how I 'used to' :D get paid.

[i fully realize I did not have to respond to this post but chose to for those areas that I did wish to add some clarification.]

This does not jibe with the job description the OP posted. Do you think irisheileen's quote is wrong?

No I am not saying that, I am just stating what I was told by people who work in Seattle at HAL, now unless things have changed in the last 12 months when I was told this that could be too but the person who told this to me would definitely have know and there would not have been a reason to tell me something different .

Trust me I am not trying to argue here I am just stating what was told to me. Remember commission can be explained several different ways, being set to reach goals and receiving a bonus is also commission. You be shocked how many positions at HAL receive bonus for reaching a goal, I guess this could be called a commission but trust me I have worked for commission for many year with 15 years in the car business where my only pay was strictly commission no salary the same as it is now. In reading the job description I stand my what I wrote and state that I am saying the same thing.

I have not found these things to be true. I called my PCC when prices dropped (he then refared them) and didn't receive any gifts from him (wasn't really expecting any). In fact, I had a small OBC and free PG dinner coming because of a minor problem on a previous cruise, given before I had a PCC. My PCC said he provided these for me - maybe he decided these were my Bon Voyage gifts.

I don't know what to say. Perhaps longevity as a client has something to do with it. Or the length of the cruise.

Kakalina,

I think we have (had) the same PCC. I was told he was retiring and my new booking this weekend was handled by another PCC.

I believe we did. We got switched a few months back and just love the new one almost as much. You can email me.

It's hard to know for sure but I would not recommend you switch to a PCC ONLY in the express hope of getting higher category than what you paid for. Their upgrade/upsell record might be the same as TA, might be better, might be worse........

I don't think that is something most of us can say for sure.

You jumped to a conclusion. I was not looking for a freebie....just wondering if that was one of the advantages of the PCC being 'inside' the HAL system.

You jumped to a conclusion. I was not looking for a freebie....just wondering if that was one of the advantages of the PCC being 'inside' the HAL system.

Sorry if you think I jumped to an 'illogical conclusion'.

To me, it was a logical jump. 'Just wondering' can easily translate into 'hoping' ...... for me.

Sorry if that is not a logical progression for you. :)

Any good reason to switch to PCC today or tomorrow, which is my final payment day. The price has remained the same all along. If HAL were to drop the prices, it would most likely be the day AFTER final payment is due, correct?

Still wondering..:) Any opinions?

I don't know what to say. Perhaps longevity as a client has something to do with it. Or the length of the cruise.

It was my 5th cruise with HAL, a 4-week collector's cruise. Yes, my first cruise with a PCC but all cruises were booked directly with HAL. I booked an inside category I and I'll just say that I didn't feel "special". I think all clients/customers should.

I'm leaning strongly towards using an online TA next time, not for freebies, but for price and maybe a sense that it matters to them if I book a cruise.

I may be wrong but We were called by HAL and asked if We were interrested in cruising some time soon I'm not sure if this was a PCC or A CS rep? This was followed up with a letter soon after. This person stated that if We used a TA We should book the cruise thu the TA, What catagory would this fall under? However We did book a cruise thru our TA by the way who is wonderful. Commision or god Pr.

A PCC really is not a TA in the usual sense.

They only can handle HAL provided air and cannot work with any air not related to booking it directly through HAL. Same for hotels. Only hotels that HAL uses.

As to OBC and 'gifts', that is very individual. PCC's, like all professionals, make relationships with their clients. Like all professionals there are some clients who provide more income stream and some less.

I think there may be a commission albeit a small amount.

But, I feel the same way about discussing PCC's salary arrangements as I do about tipping. It's not my business about PCC's pay system and I find it uncomfortable discussing how someone else is paid. I wouldn't want them talking about how I 'used to' :D get paid.

[i fully realize I did not have to respond to this post but chose to for those areas that I did wish to add some clarification.]

Sail...The reason I quoted the HAL AD was because the OP asked what the difference was in a CS position as opposed to a PCC position...HAL is advertising & stating that it the PCC's are in their outgoing call center & are paid a salary plus commission..Why are you loathe to talk about this..Anyone who works on Commission better be top notch sales person..I for one would rather work with someone such as a Trsavel Agent who works on commission as opposed to just an order taker..Most Travel Agents work on Commission now..

Lisa...Either your source is totally wrong or someone in HAL is misrepresenting the position in their Help wanted on-line ad..

View land-based openings at: https://www.hollandamerica.apply2jobs.com/

I bolded the commission statement..

https://www.hollandamerica.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=21190&CurrentPage=1

PRIMARY FUNCTION: Increase sales and market share on Holland America Line cruises and Alaska cruise tours. Build personal clientele relationships by contacting leads through company's guest database and leads generated by marketing efforts. This is a salary plus commission outbound call center position. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: 1. Contact guests and clients through outbound calling efforts. 2. Apply professional sales techniques in the promotion and sale of cruises and cruisetours 3. Build personal clientele base and brand loyalty. 4. Provide superior customer service to all guests. 5. Meet department revenue and call volume standards per month and fiscal year. Unquote

This does not jibe with the job description the OP posted. Do you think irisheileen's quote is wrong?

Agree the OP is not wrong..She just quoted the HAL Help Wanted AD..

To the OP..IMO it's probably too late for you to deal with a PCC..Your cruise is booked & ready for final payment..I don't understand what else you are looking for at this stage of the game..When you book your next cruise, perhaps you should request a PCC or go through a good Travel Agent..

Cheers..Betty

Archived