2013 voyages - nothing new?

mollymoo12

Hi All

I have just been looking through the 2013 brochure looking for some inspiration for next year but I couldn't help but think there is nothing new for next year. It is all getting a bit boring and "samey" in my opinion.

Isn't it about time that Cunard came up with something different? Here are some of my suggestions:

How about some cruises that go to fewer ports but spend 2 days in port for several of the ports of call so you can get to know a place better?

What about having voyages around Australia, Hawaii, Pacific Islands, New Zealand etc

Going on a Cunard ship to see Alaska would be good

What are your suggestions?

Hopefully, Cunard staff monitor this forum and may take up some of the suggestions on board (excuse the pun:rolleyes:).

Cunard customers tend to be quite loyal on the whole so there must be quite a few of us who are starting to think that they have been there, done that and got the proverbial t-shirt.

We are limited on when we can go away, due to my job, and where due to my partner not being able to fly so we are left with the med or fjords in the summer.

The first cruise we ever took on QE2 had the best itinerary of our four cruises.. We went all the way to Greece, but since then all of our cruises call at pretty much the same places. I'm not complaining as its just wonderful to be going anywhere, but it would be nice to spice it up a bit xx

I'd be happy if QM2 did New York-Caribbean-New York other than over Christmas/New Year, as she used to.

Maybe not many voyages, but at least one that didn't involve being away over the festive season.

(I understand that Carnival want some of their cruise lines to cover the Caribbean [Princess, HAL et al] rather than Cunard, but I enjoyed being on QM2 in the Caribbean in the past).

Ah well, like they'd listen to me...

We too are disappointed and concerned about the future of Cunard Schedules after viewing 2013.

We have not cruised for three (3) years and not sure about our future of cruising with Cunard unless using another line out of the Port of NY-NJ. Reason: not flyers anymore.

The only way will cruise again will be a ship (preferred Cunard's) embarking out of NY. As all can see, we love to cruise. It reflects in our sailing history in our signature. Due to scheduling of the Cunard Line, we have not had the opportunity to even as of yet, experience the two new Queens

We enjoy reading the reviews and experiences of our fellow CC's. True they do fly which is their advantage of meeting up with the ships at other ports.

We have read of about the QM2's problems with her engines or power problems, but that does not concern us. Our very first cruise on the QE2 with her maiden call at Baltimore was exciting. But a day or two at sea, we too lost power and drifted overnight till midmorning and eventually were underway and continued and finished our cruise, with many, many decades for sailings.

We are wondering if it is true about the real reason for this problem is the fuel prices. It is the talk of the town among cruisers in NYC. Also many in NY have noticed the assignments of the ships mostly to Europe. What about the America's? We deeply supported you in the past.

I can remember the days of the NY Terminals over filled with passengers waiting and boarding the Cunard Ships. The way the traffic was so congested on West Street to enter the terminal to board the ship or to drop loved one off. "Bon Voyage".

We remember the days in March & April after the World Cruise terminated in NYC we would go on delightful Caribbean Cruises of 9, 11 and 13 days on Cunard ships. Know only at Christmas Time.

We are proud to show our partonage to Cunard as Diamond Club Members. We did not cruise to attain that level, we cruised because we loved to cruise many times. Thru those cruises we earned that level one step at a time (ex. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum to Diamond). If we cruise again, hopefully we will go higher.

I know that the Company seats down with the Ships Staff quite abit of time before the Schedule is released to figure out the different trips. I wish they asked their Cruising Family what trips they like or look at our past cruising history for that answer.

We keep getting calls from our Cunard Rep in California why we aren't cruising and we tell her "We Can't Find Anything On The Schedule To Our Liking". We know that she really can't do anything but hope she could forward out displeasure to mind to be.

We hope we can return cruising with Cunard in the future and Cunard understand their "Old Time" cruising public. We earned points thru our cruising pleasure but can't uses them under these circumstances.

Wish the Schedules for 2014, 2015, 2016 etc.. return to the "Way They Were In The Past".

Please listen to you Loyal Customers (Passengers). Our Cruising History Shows and Proofs Our Loyality!

My wish would be for more trips to New England on the QM2.

The one in September could be affected by the hurricane season and the one in October is just too late in the year for us.

The 12-nighter in June has some categories sold out already even though they were only released for sale a few weeks ago. There are more cabins available on the 19 night sector but that might be too long a voyage for us.

Very true, so many Caribbean cruises and the same old, same old, I have just booked Alaska with another line, I am now trying to book South America and it wont be Cunard, Princess or HAL it will have to be.

Cunard, wake up, we dont all want the Caribbean every year, we are now more adventurous .

At least they do the world voyages, so we can get to Australia and the east

I'd be happy if QM2 did New York-Caribbean-New York other than over Christmas/New Year, as she used to...

In December 2010 there was an 11-day Caribbean voyage in early December. It didn't sell very well and many were there on deep discounts. (I had booked a flash rate in PG just one month before sailing.) The ship seemed to be filled with people who had no idea what they had signed on for - complaints about sea days for example (!) The call at Grand Turk Island was cancelled due to storm damage so instead we were the 6th ship in Saint Lucia. It ended up as the identical iteniary that I had taken in 2004.

Like mariepr and also Salacia, we too were on QM2 11 nights in December 2010. We had booked while onboard the prior December and ultimately our fare was reduced no less than 5 times, plus we got a 6 category upgrade to Deck 11.

However, I noted last December's transatlantics slashed to ridiculous levels as well, so I don't think their revised itineraries are particularly profitable either.

We would also like to return to QM2 or try one of the other ships, but Cunard's 2013 itineraries are quite boring compared to HAL which we have been using recently, i.e. 9 days to Oslo & Elsinore with 2 stops in Hamburg in October, surely they could do better than that.

Also their only Caribbean cruise now does the same 5 ports in 12 days that used to be done first in 10, then 11. Too many unnecessarily elongated itineraries dictated by fuel savings, 8 day transatlantics are another sad example.

Hope 2014 looks better:rolleyes:

I am glad to see that I am not alone in my opinion. Lets hope that Cunard are monitoring this forum, as I suspect they must do.

I would also like to see segments of the World Cruises reproduced as shorter trips and at a better time of the year, especially those around the Middle East, Far East and South America with overnight stops in the main cities.

I see that the prices for the fiords and Baltic voyages are being heavily discounted so they must be struggling to fill the ships. Isn't this telling them something?

Brooklynboy8

E mail me rafex1@centurylink.net, how are you all. I am still shuffling around .

Lynn

Mollymoo8

Interesting your remark , re the fiords cruises, just had a vey bad conversation with my agent who is now my ex agent. One of the things she completely denies is that Cunard is reducing prices.

Even though I have seen ads on line and in the newspapers , and read of passengers going on my cruise for better cabins at lower prices than I have paid, she refused to believe them or me.

She also refused to believe in visits some passengers say they have received from the upgrade -fairy she says" they are lying."

Cunards' Mr Shanks needs to participate in the TV show "Undercover Boss" and HE NEEDS to read comments on here, (not leave it to Nellie at the front desk who is not going to tel him the truth).

Cunard has lost its way.

Lynn

I have booked an outside cabin on my baltic cruise but even on the Cunard website, the balcony is now less than I paid which is annoying. I am hoping for the upgrade fairy to visit but I shan't hold my breath.

I don't think I am going to book any future cruises until after the payment date.

June

Interestingly, I have just been asked by Cunard to complete a survey on the 2013-14 brochure, in particular about how appealing the itineraries were compared to previous years. I was also asked if I'd be interested in a "price match guarantee" - ie a guarantee that if I booked early and the price subsequently dropped, Cunard would honour the booking at the lowest advertised price (presumably there would be caveats around that).

There were also questions designed to tease out reasons behind not booking early. I think Cunard knows what the answer is, given I've just received an email from one well known online agent offering 7 nights to the Fjords on the Queen Victoria at the end of June for £500, 14 nights to the same destination on the same day on the Queen Elizabeth for £800 and an 11 night Baltic voyage on QM2 in August for £800. And these were just a few of the offers. Clearly the global economic situation has something to do with this plethora of deals but Cunard's headline brochure prices clearly aren't attracting enough of us, even if they are now willing to throw in an extra 5% discount and some free car parking.

Interestingly, I have just been asked by Cunard to complete a survey on the 2013-14 brochure, in particular about how appealing the itineraries were compared to previous years. I was also asked if I'd be interested in a "price match guarantee" - ie a guarantee that if I booked early and the price subsequently dropped, Cunard would honour the booking at the lowest advertised price (presumably there would be caveats around that).

May I ask if you're in the UK? Interesting if so.

I have just learned a new fact, I always thought that when an agency offered group bookings , they actually reserved certain cabins by number.

Today I found out that the agency with which I booked simply agreed to buy "x" number of D8, "y" number of D7, etc etc. They then sold the cabins by Cat to the public, leaving Cunard to choose after final payment which cabins the agency clients would get.

So no one wants D7 cabins 1 , 2, 3, etc because they are in a bad location, when final payment is made those cabins then go to said agencies clients. Tough on the clients of course but as long as the clients do not know this ," no harm done", is the agency view.

Cunard is then able to sell the more popular cabins to those passengers booking later, even sell these more popular cabins at a less expensive rate than the "loyal idiots" like myself who booked early have to pay for badly located cabins.

I have only myself to blame , I have been a gullible fool

Cunard have not sent me a survey, how I wish they would, the one thing I want from any company is honesty in describing their product, and integrity from their sales staff.

I think Cunard should do more cruises return from Sydney, such as Sydney to Hawaii and return to Sydney, or Sydney to Tahiti and return, because it is quite clear that the public in Australia and New Zealand love the Cunard ships, and that is the place where Cunard charges the highest prices for its cruises, and makes the best profits.

On the next world cruise on QM2 the New Zealand circumnavigation is sold out but that is the only part of the cruise sold out which is causing big headaches for Cunard in terms of allocation of cabins and also trying to fill the sectors before and after the New Zealand circumnavigation.

I have also completed this most recent of - Cunard Your View. The questions were as usual interesting and thought provoking, last month for example asking opinion as to the use of other terminals around Britain. However as you have pointed out the questions with ref price matching and reasons for early booking were particularly interesting, in my own case with limited holiday windows each year waiting and watching for better deals is not possible. Whilst it is my choice to book early for this reason I cannot help being somewhat hard done by when the same voyage is heavily discounted further down the line. I was also keen to give my opinion on the voyage structure - days in port/sea days/fly cruise etc.

It would seem that the surveys are only been sent to UK passengers, pity as this will mean the results will not be an accurate picture of Cunrd passengers.

If you have 2000 people on a cruise , you cannot survey just 20 all based in one cat of cabin and call the results an accurate evaluation of the Cunard product as a whole., perhaps no one has told Cunard this.

Going on a Cunard ship to see Alaska would be good

Cunard customers tend to be quite loyal on the whole so there must be quite a few of us who are starting to think that they have been there, done that and got the proverbial t-shirt.

Didn't Cunard do Alaska at one point years ago? I'm guessing they don't return there as there is so much competition and their pricing would probably be too high for that market. Way too many good choices.

We did Alaska last year on Princess, not because I care about Princess but for the great itinerary with 5 days inland to Denali ( absolutely NOT to be missed!!) then down the Inside Passage from Whittier.

Any cruise that does not take in Hubbard Glacier, and especially the full day cruising in Glacier Bay, misses the ultimate of the Alaska experience in my opinion. I know there are a couple of cruise lines banned from Glacier Bay and that's a pity for their passengers. I"m sure if Cunard did this cruise again they might find it difficult to get permits for Glacier Bay as they are stringent in allowing ships into that MUST SEE place.

I do agree the itineraries are just same old, same old which is why we have turned elsewhere.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

It would seem that the surveys are only been sent to UK passengers, pity as this will mean the results will not be an accurate picture of Cunrd passengers.

If you have 2000 people on a cruise , you cannot survey just 20 all based in one cat of cabin and call the results an accurate evaluation of the Cunard product as a whole., perhaps no one has told Cunard this.

It may be the case that the surverys are only being sent to UK based passengers but I doubt we are all in the same category of cabin.

Not everyone books the same category every time anyway !

We would also like to return to QM2 or try one of the other ships, but Cunard's 2013 itineraries are quite boring compared to HAL which we have been using recently, i.e. 9 days to Oslo & Elsinore with 2 stops in Hamburg in October, surely they could do better than that.

Also their only Caribbean cruise now does the same 5 ports in 12 days that used to be done first in 10, then 11. Too many unnecessarily elongated itineraries dictated by fuel savings, 8 day transatlantics are another sad example.

Hope 2014 looks better:rolleyes:

Agreed foodsvcmgr......With all the great, unusual itineraries to choose from elsewhere Cunard needs to step up to the plate and realize that it's not always the ship or the line that people choose. More often it's the itinerary, especially when they don't seem inclined to offer anything new and different. Many Cunard friends have told me that's what they are choosing to do now.

HAL is our choice for the Baltics next year, not one of the Cunard Queens. Aside from better pricing for basically a similar trip on a Vista ship, HAL's itinerary doesn't force one to sail from Southampton then waste time in the Channel both ways when there are other places to be seen in the same length cruise. Not to mention having to fly in and out of Heathrow, something I will never do again!

With HAL we can leave from Copenhagen, far better than Soton in my book, and depending on the trip chosen, return to Amsterdam. So instead of coming and going from Soton we get places I'd love to see again instead. From Copenhagen we can easily rent a car to go to see family in southern Sweden as long as we are there.

As for the Caribbean, way too much competition there now for Cunard to be a player. With the 2 RCI behemoths sucking up passengers plus all the other ships that hit the same islands, Cunard obviously knew they could not compete and scaled back drastically to only the Christmas cruise. ANd they still do the same itinerary we made on our first of 3 Caribbeans in 2006.

We far prefer the HAL trip that takes in the lovely ABC islands and have booked it again....super itinerary and ship with exceptional service and great food....a winning combination for us.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Jimsgirl;

When TA's block group space in certain categories , they indeed don't block actual cabins .

However , when full deposits are made along with guest names , cabins are assigned then (unless booked as a "Guarantee").

The exception is when a TA is accepting less than full deposit to hold clents space.

If you are not being asked for the full deposit , you will not have a cabin assignment.

Tell your TA you wish to pay the full deposit to receive a cabin assignment .

I'd be happy if QM2 did New York-Caribbean-New York other than over Christmas/New Year, as she used to.

Maybe not many voyages, but at least one that didn't involve being away over the festive season.

(I understand that Carnival want some of their cruise lines to cover the Caribbean [Princess, HAL et al] rather than Cunard, but I enjoyed being on QM2 in the Caribbean in the past).

Ah well, like they'd listen to me...

I'm with you all the way:)

Archived