Reservations for Speciality Resturaunts

cgrn

It's a good thing everyone here is so kind....I can't figure out how to make reservations for a speciality restaurant on line. I read in the helpful hints that the last night of the cruise is a good time to eat dinner not in the main dining room. The idea of meatloaf or turkey on my cruise vacation does not appeal to me. So where and how can make reservations? Is there an age restriction (13yo daughter)for these resturants?

Thank you!

Unfortunately Princess is far behind here - no on line reservations. You can visit the restaurant when you get on the ship to make them, or call DINE on your room phone. No age restrictions that I'm aware of :-)

It's a good thing everyone here is so kind....I can't figure out how to make reservations for a speciality restaurant on line. I read in the helpful hints that the last night of the cruise is a good time to eat dinner not in the main dining room. The idea of meatloaf or turkey on my cruise vacation does not appeal to me.

Those are not the only entries on that last night's menu. You might find other entries that you would like very much including broiled freshwater perch, black mussels in white wine sauce and grilled New York cut strip steak. Plus of course the "always available" list.

Last night is also the evening for Baked Alaska.

Those are not the only entries on that last night's menu. You might find outher entries that you would like very much..

It's a full menu ... just like every other night. You can eat there without fear.

Unfortunately Princess is far behind here - no on line reservations. You can visit the restaurant when you get on the ship to make them, or call DINE on your room phone. No age restrictions that I'm aware of :-)

Very true, I can't believe they make you wait until you board.

Since the OP's question was answered, I hope it's okay to ask a semi-related question here. I've read the first night in the dining room is less than desirable. What is the reason for that? It sounds like this may need to be one of our Sabitini's nights. FWIW, I also wish we could book the specialty restaurants, Chef's Table, & UBD online. It would make the first day more relaxing.

Since the OP's question was answered, I hope it's okay to ask a semi-related question here. I've read the first night in the dining room is less than desirable. What is the reason for that? It sounds like this may need to be one of our Sabitini's nights. FWIW, I also wish we could book the specialty restaurants, Chef's Table, & UBD online. It would make the first day more relaxing.

My experience has been that it's difficult to predict exactly when the specialty restaurants will be busy. I've heard that the first and last nights will be busy at times but had no problems. I've seen it busy on formal night possibly because those who did not bring formalwear preferred to go to a specialty restaurant instead of the buffet. On a recently completed cruise we booked the Bayou Café upon boarding the ship for that evening at 6 o'clock and were one of the few couples at the restaurant.

It's never been a problem for us to get reservations in a specialty restaurant or for the UBD however you definitely need to call the DINE line ASAP upon boarding if you're interested in the Chef's Table. Whatever reservation system they use for CT...onboard or if it was available online...it's still generally first-come first-served. There's no perfect system for making reservations for popular limited availability things onboard. If they made the CT available to be booked online then it's limited only to those who book their cruise very early.

I've never had an issue on the First night, but I have seen them. Most of what I have seen is related to people learning where to go (AD versus TD) and for those in AD learning the AD process (you mean we have to WAIT?!?!?!), things like that. In TD, the servers are meeting new people for the first time as well, and you have people finding out they don't care for tablemates, etc. I've also noticed the servers look a little more tired, perhaps due to helping out with turnaround.

Generally speaking however, the food on the first night has been equal to the rest of the cruise.

It's a good thing everyone here is so kind....I can't figure out how to make reservations for a speciality restaurant on line. I read in the helpful hints that the last night of the cruise is a good time to eat dinner not in the main dining room. The idea of meatloaf or turkey on my cruise vacation does not appeal to me. So where and how can make reservations? Is there an age restriction (13yo daughter)for these resturants?

Thank you!

As others have said there are other items on the menu the last night. I do have to say though, very surprising to me, the meatloaf was really, really good!

No age restriction in the specialty restaurants. No online reservations but I've never had problems making reservations except on formal nights. You can call the dine line after 1pm on the first day and make reservations or just pop by each venue and make reservations as there is usually someone there.

Oh, the horror.

I know! Isn't it just horrific that you cannot make reservations online:eek::eek::eek:

I know! Isn't it just horrific that you cannot make reservations online:eek::eek::eek:

Yes, simply horrific! :eek:

No matter how reservations for limited availablity options such restaurants, CT, UBD, UST, etc. are handled unfortunately not everyone will be happy. :(

If they allowed online booking in advance then it's those who booked their cruise early who would get them. By making reservations onboard there's a chance that maybe more will get a opportunity to book them.

There's no system that will keep everyone happy & not everyone will get these limited participation options for their cruise. :(

Yes, simply horrific! :eek:

No matter how reservations for limited availablity options such restaurants, CT, UBD, UST, etc. are handled unfortunately not everyone will be happy. :(

If they allowed online booking in advance then it's those who booked their cruise early who would get them. By making reservations onboard there's a chance that maybe more will get a opportunity to book them.

There's no system that will keep everyone happy & not everyone will get these limited participation options for their cruise. :(

I agree. Plus, I would bet that there would be a considerable amount of those that booked online would cancel.

I agree. Plus, I would bet that there would be a considerable amount of those that booked online would cancel.

Or to be no-shows which denies someone else from doing something they want to do. :(

Princess has the best pre-cruise online booking system that I've experienced for shore excursions. Not having to pay in advance is great & being able to cancel up until shortly before the tour is also great. With the recent trend where many tours increase in price closer to sailing or onboard, Princess probably doesn't care if someone with an early booked, less expensive tour cancels because they'll sell it at a higher price. ;)

Very true, I can't believe they make you wait until you board.

Oh, the horror.

Yes, horrible. But as others have said, it pretty much levels the playing field. We never have a problem finding the reservations table, taking a look at the MDR menus and then making a choice as to when we'll be visiting a specialty restaurant.

Prime rib baby!! :D They seem to always have prime rib on the first night. And so do I. :p

I've read the first night in the dining room is less than desirable. What is the reason for that?

It is just as good food as any other evening.

However, going into the traditional dining room the first evening can be a pain as you have hundreds of people lined up when the doors open and everyone must be led to their tables that first evening. The other evenings you do not have the same congestion.

I just wait an extra 10 minutes before going the first eveving. By then the line to get in is reasonable.

It is just as good food as any other evening.

However, going into the traditional dining room the first evening can be a pain as you have hundreds of people lined up when the doors open and everyone must be led to their tables that first evening. The other evenings you do not have the same congestion.

I just wait an extra 10 minutes before going the first eveving. By then the line to get in is reasonable.

Thanks for the reply. :) That will help, when making our decision. We're usually not as relaxed on the first evening, so that may not be the best night for a specialty restaurant. I don't want to start the cruise on a bad note either. We're used to the first night of traditional dining though. As long as the food is as good that night, we have patience for the congestion.

• 4 weeks later...

Prime rib baby!! :D They seem to always have prime rib on the first night. And so do I. :p

Well, that is one of my favorite dishes -- and you just (potentially) threw a wrench into my plans! As I understand it, Princess has recently added a suite perk (just booked our first sailing with them) that gives you a complimentary evening in a specialty restaurant on the FIRST NIGHT...!

Is it offered more than one night, typically, on a seven night sailing?

THANKS,

Tom

Well, that is one of my favorite dishes -- and you just (potentially) threw a wrench into my plans! As I understand it, Princess has recently added a suite perk (just booked our first sailing with them) that gives you a complimentary evening in a specialty restaurant on the FIRST NIGHT...!

Is it offered more than one night, typically, on a seven night sailing?

THANKS,

Tom

Not the newest information but maybe this will help you decide. Thank you to the person who posted this.

Archived