Amtrak to Boston Question

BumperII

We are booked on the Maasdam Canada - New England 14 day on Sept 15. Although this is the third time we have taken this cruise, travel to and from Black Falcon has been by Air from Philadelphia International Airport and Taxi.

Looking at the maps, and train schedules, it looks like we could get business class booking on Amtrak out of Trenton, NJ for about the same price as flying coach. Total time elapsed from out front door to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal looks about. Has anyone ever tried this?

Amtrak will drop you at South Station, Boston, and that is about 5 minute taxi ride from Black Falcon.

We rode Amtrak Accela Boston to New York a few years ago and it was wonderful. By the time we figured transfer time to the city from the airport and the waiting around the airport time, it was faster by Accela than flying.

I have not actually done it but have used Amtrak frequently from Baltimore to both New York and Providence for my favorite small ship line running out of Warren Rhode Island. You will need to be able to get your own luggage on/off the train but there are nice luggage racks at the ends of the cars.

I was in Boston last week (on Enchantment of the Seas) and a bus/subway line runs directly to the port from the basement of South Station, or it's less than 2 miles by taxi.

Roy

There were porters in South Station that took our luggage to the entrance for us.

Very convenient. We had reserved a car company to take us home from Boston and they were waiting at the door.

Personal experience talking here: trains don't always run on schedule.

Following a cruise that ended in NYC once, I took the train home to Providence. I was supposed to take a train that left NYC sometime after noon. That's when the train that was supposed to come through sometime around 10:00 AM arrived, and I got on it.

I swear the train stopped at every tree and telephone pole on the way along the coast. Then we got stuck for over an hour. A bridge over a small amount of water wouldn't close properly, and we sat and watch the view until it was fixed.

I arrived in Providence around 5:30 PM. Boston is another 45 minutes (or so) up the road.

But it was comfortable. I'll give it that.

I took the train round trip from Boston to Philadelphia in March, to save money over the airfare. Time, as others mentioned above, wasn't more than an hour or so different (no waiting around airports, etc,). I didn't take the Acela, or travel in business class, and I would highly recommend that. As Ruth mentioned, we stopped a lot (but no delays, everything was on time).

I will mention that on my return trip, the restroom was absolutely disgusting,

and I should have sent a letter! Otherwise, I enjoyed the trip. (at that time in March, the train was less than 1/2 the cost of flying)

Thank you everyone for the quick and informative responses. That covers about what I was hoping to hear, and we appreciate the extra tips. We are going to try the train.

The bride really doesn't care for flying all that much, and I'm just getting too old to be putting up with TSA agents running their hands over my unmentionables. So, the train it is, and we will load a couple of good novels on the Kindle to take along for the ride.

Again, thanks for the info!!:)

Personal experience talking here: trains don't always run on schedule.

But it was comfortable. I'll give it that.

I usually don't mind a delay as long as the view is OK and I don't have anything scheduled. Seems people have lost interest in traveling by train, personally I love it!

-Mus

I usually don't mind a delay as long as the view is OK and I don't have anything scheduled.

Since I was coming home, the delay didn't have an unfortunate impact. The view, on the other hand.... :eek:

The train delay was right by a deserted stretch of shoreline. There was a man skinny dipping, who kept going into, and out of, the water.

If you feel like treating yourself to Acela first class, it's really relaxing. They served us breakfast going and lunch coming home. They had an open bar and a few people served us right at our seats.

The 'steward' or whatever his title is called, took our luggage from the porter and stowed it for us. He got it out at the end of the trip and handed it to a porter. Made it a pleasure for us. Also, we got to use the 'lounge' to wait in both cities. They had newspapers, coffee, soft drinks, muffins and whatever.

As I recall, there was WiFi and the trip was relaxing.

Wish they had train service from South West Fla to Boston..DH also hates to fly, but in checking the Skeds it would take us close to 36 hours as have to change in Orlando & NYC..

Of course we could drive to Orlando but that defeats the purpose..

Cheers...:)Betty

It amazes me that with all the snow birds from Boston, NH, Vermont and Maine going to Florida each winter and returning each spring that they don't have some train service that is more convenient. We know of many who use the auto train and ship their cars for a good deal of the ride but have to drive the rest.

It amazes me that with all the snow birds from Boston, NH, Vermont and Maine going to Florida each winter and returning each spring that they don't have some train service that is more convenient. We know of many who use the auto train and ship their cars for a good deal of the ride but have to drive the rest.

I don't know why the autotrain doesn't go farther south than it does, but I can tell you why it can't run north of Lorton VA: low bridges. The northeast gets the oldest rolling stock (except for Acela) because the newer double-decker cars can't fit under many of the bridges in the Northeast Corridor.

I love taking the train. But unless an employer is paying, we don't use Acela. For a business trip, where time is important, I've used Acela, just the regular business class. I only used first class on Acela once, and the from NY to Boston it cost $100 more than business, which is the "regular" Acela class. I didn't think the meal and drink were worth the difference, although there was one man on the car who was trying to drink his money's worth. :D

On non-Acela trains, we often upgrade to business class. It doesn't cost a lot more, and the seats have more leg room. Plus there are fewer people on your car, so the bathroom gets less use and gets less icky. On a few routes, the business class car has big leather seats in a 2/1 configuration. Love those!

Last fall, we took Amtrak to Montreal, Maasdam to Ft Lauderdale, and Amtrak back to NY. All that travel and NO FLYING!!!

Here's a hint for the train up to Boston--sit on the right side of the train. The water view along Long Island Sound as you go through Connecticut is beautiful!

If you feel like treating yourself to Acela first class, it's really relaxing. They served us breakfast going and lunch coming home. They had an open bar and a few people served us right at our seats.

The 'steward' or whatever his title is called, took our luggage from the porter and stowed it for us. He got it out at the end of the trip and handed it to a porter. Made it a pleasure for us. Also, we got to use the 'lounge' to wait in both cities. They had newspapers, coffee, soft drinks, muffins and whatever.

As I recall, there was WiFi and the trip was relaxing.

A couple of additional points here. OP is considering travelling from Trenton, and Acela does not stop there. The regular business class is a fine alternative. Until recently only the Acela trains had wifi, although it has recently been extended to the regular trains in the Northeast corridor.

The lounges are only available for passengers in Acela First Class. For the most part I'll travel on regular trains. The exception is when I arrive in New York on QM2, and really don't know what time I'll get to the station. Then I'll book Acela First class, stow my bags in the lounge, enjoy New York, and take a late train back home.

I think a good choice for the OP on return would be to book a late morning train. It should be no problem to change to an earlier train if they get to the station early. That worked very well for me before last summer's transatlantic on the Rotterdam. I had a fire department commitment the day before and had booked a late night train, arriving in NY about 1AM. I got to the station way ahead of time and got an earlier train without a bit of hassle.

Roy

You clearly are far more experienced with train travel than I am.

I described my personal experience on my one recent roundtrip Acela ride Boston to New York to Boston.

We would do the trip again, in the same way, should the occassion arise.

We are all ditching Amtrack up here in VT and taking megabus dot com! Check out the prices...they are very good! There is service from Philadelphia to Boston but their booking engine only goes until 9/15. I only discovered it a while ago when I saw this very cool "mega" bus stopping at our university with a load of passengers waiting to head to NYC direct trip...for minimal fee.

OP, check it out prior to booking your train. My hubby and I were looking at Montreal to Boston on Maasdam (7 day)and we were going to take megabus back home...which at the time was less expensive than renting a car for the day!

coka

I believe the poster needs to consider luggage.

There is no place to store large amount of luggage on Acela or Metroliner service.

Silver Service is very slow.

They had no trouble storing our luggage.

No one has ever accused me of traveling light. :)

Archived