Missing the boat....repercussions?

Ok so I've never really thought about this but our upcoming Mediterranean cruise had me thinking. What happens if we miss the boat? Is it as simple as taking the train to the next port? Can we decide to miss the boat and let them know so no one worries? Are there any fines? I'm just stressing about getting back to the port after a day in Rome and wishing we didn't have to rush back.

(The boat is what you get in if the SHIP is sinking)

You pick up the whole tab. Plus, you have the concern of your proof of citizenship...so if you think you might miss the ship....bring credit cards, passports, etc.etc.etc And find your way to the next port.

You would need to connect with the RCI Agent at the Port They will advise the ship you are heading to the next port. Otherwise, you might show up, and find your stuff placed in storage. The port agent for each port is listed in your daily info

The ship will know you are not on board, announcements of your name will be made to call guest relations. If they do not hear from you, the Capt will leave without you. Your picture will be left at security and they may look for you. You will put a bad light on yourself. If you know that you will not reboard at the port, it would be proper to tell someone, relate your plans, take your passports, credit cards, cash, etc, and catch up with the ship at your own expence. No fines, but please don't hold up the ship for others. Maybe a cruise is not for you, but it is a great way to sample new ports in a short time so you can decide if you'd like a land vacation there at another time. Please be curtious to the thousands of others.

(The boat is what you get in if the SHIP is sinking)

You pick up the whole tab. Plus, you have the concern of your proof of citizenship...so if you think you might miss the ship....bring credit cards, passports, etc.etc.etc And find your way to the next port.

boat   [boht]

noun

a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion.

The best way to miss the ship.....is to do it legally, in advance, with the Corporate office, which, in turn will pass it down to the Captain, who will give it to Security.....for both leaving the ship, and coming back aboard.

We have, from time to time, when in Europe or the UK, will leave the ship at one port, do an overnight trip, and rejoin the ship at the next port.

I would not advise doing this, unless you are an experienced traveler, and know what you have planned. because if you have misplanned.....you might be travelling across the ocean to arrive at the final destination of the ship.......just in time to pick up your already packed luggage at immigration.

So.......the question really is.....are you missing the ship on purpose, or did you just forget to get back to the ship on time????:D:eek:

Rick

Another thing to considered is that it is not guaranteed that the ship will stop at the next port. For example if you "plan" get all prior approvals etc to leave in Rome and rejoin in Naples what happens if the ship for some reason like weather, emergency , etc does not stop at Naples. Been on several cruises that itinerary were changed while at sea.

A far better alternative, is to add time and just go to Rome. Depending where your cruise is embarking/disembarking, there are at least 3 low cost airlines flying the UK, Europe etc. I've used them several times. With any European/UK cruise I take, I ALWAYS add additional weeks. I am just back last week from a TA to Harwich, then another week in London, and another in Paris. Last year was 5 extra days in Rome, year before, Started ini Dublin, Med Cruise out of Southampton for 14 days, then to Amsterdam.

Take advantage of being all the way there.

Another thing to considered is that it is not guaranteed that the ship will stop at the next port. For example if you "plan" get all prior approvals etc to leave in Rome and rejoin in Naples what happens if the ship for some reason like weather, emergency , etc does not stop at Naples. Been on several cruises that itinerary were changed while at sea.

And, you are right Sue L. We try to judge these things carefully before deciding to disembark, as to where we will catch up with the ship next, who the port agent is, in case we need to get a hold of them for help, so we feel that we are prepared, checking weather, and even with the powers that be inboard and understand the consequences if a ship cannot dock, where we are supposed to meet them. We have done this about 8 times so far, and God willing, we will continue, as we see somethig that makes sense to us.

Rick

Ok so I've never really thought about this but our upcoming Mediterranean cruise had me thinking. What happens if we miss the boat? Is it as simple as taking the train to the next port? Can we decide to miss the boat and let them know so no one worries? Are there any fines? I'm just stressing about getting back to the port after a day in Rome and wishing we didn't have to rush back.

First thing to remember is that Rome is actually a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive to/from the port . So this must be calculated into your planning.

Secondly just getting back to the port is not sufficient , you actually have to be on board the ship prior to the gangway closing. There's been many of cruisers arrive at the port thinking that since the ship was still there that were not let on board as the gangway and anchors had been pulled up.

Third if you're already worried about not having enough time in Rome and don't want to rush, than perhaps a cruise is not for you. You might be better off in taking a land tour vacation.

With this said, people on the CC forum always tell you that you don't need to bring your passports going ashore. For the vary reason that there can be numorous things to delay you from getting back to the port you should always carry your passport,. If you have it ,it will facilitate you getting to the next port in a more timely manner. If not than you have to wait to contact the nearest embassy office and it canbe a few days to process a new passport. Not to mention that you will have to go to that embassy office before a new passport can be issued ( another costly expense) In which case it may be cheaper to just contact your airline and pay the change fees and extra charges to fly home rather than trying to meet up with the cruise.

Bottom line don't miss the ship

Hi guys.

To those who thought I was being selfish and was just going to be late and let people search for me.... reread my post. I specifically asked how to do it and let people know. I haven't decided for sure but I was curious.

Yes we are experienced travelers, both cruises and land. Our jobs require a lot of traveling so we understand train schedules and so on.

Just because I am concerned about 1 port does not mean that land vacation is better. Thank you very much. However, I always look at all my options. Also we ALWAYS carry our passports and credit cards with us. Always.

Thank you to Rick and RETNAVY1996 for your incredibly helpful information. That is pretty much what I was looking for!!

I still don't know if we will do it but I like knowing there is an option. Rick I find it interesting you've done it 8 times. What ports did you do it in?

I'm just stressing about getting back to the port after a day in Rome and wishing we didn't have to rush back.

We are sailing in 3 weeks (!!!!) from Rome on a 7 day Eastern Mediterranean, and when planning our day trips was concerned about the same thing. So - on the ports where we are taking long tours, Messina up to Mt Etna - which is a 2 hour drive from the ship, we are taking tours through the cruiseline. That way if a bus breaks down, etc., the ship waits for us to get back. On our close port - Ephesus, we are booking through a private company - that and ship leaves later which gives us plenty of time to get back to the ship.

If you are concerned about getting back to the ship on time in Rome - use one of the cruiseline's tours.

I know someone who was on a ship where a person missed the ship in one of the Caribbean ports with just swim suits, minimal money, and no passport. The next stop was Europe!!

DON

boat   [boht]

noun

a vessel for transport by water, constructed to provide buoyancy by excluding water and shaped to give stability and permit propulsion.

ship/SHip/

Noun:A vessel larger than a boat for transporting people or goods by sea.

If one knows in advance that they will leave the ship in one port and re-board in another informing the cruise line in advance is prudent. Some lines even have formal procedures for handling this. If the decision is made aboard then contacting the purser/front desk would be a good first step.

If one is in a port and realizes that one may not make it back to the ship in time then calling the port agent as soon as possible is prudent. (I generally take my passport and a credit card with me whenever this is a possibility.) Always take the port agent contact information with you when you leave the ship.

If one simply misses the ship contact the port agent as soon as possible.

we are taking tours through the cruiseline. That way if a bus breaks down, etc., the ship waits for us to get back.

You do realize that this is a myth. The ship does not always wait for whatever reason.

RCI may collect passports if the ship is leaving the EU. They did on Navigator last month. Book a tour with highly rated company on TourAdvisor or from the ship to ensure you make it back on time.

First thing to remember is that Rome is actually a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive to/from the port . So this must be calculated into your planning.

Secondly just getting back to the port is not sufficient , you actually have to be on board the ship prior to the gangway closing. There's been many of cruisers arrive at the port thinking that since the ship was still there that were not let on board as the gangway and anchors had been pulled up.

Third if you're already worried about not having enough time in Rome and don't want to rush, than perhaps a cruise is not for you. You might be better off in taking a land tour vacation.

With this said, people on the CC forum always tell you that you don't need to bring your passports going ashore. For the vary reason that there can be numorous things to delay you from getting back to the port you should always carry your passport,. If you have it ,it will facilitate you getting to the next port in a more timely manner. If not than you have to wait to contact the nearest embassy office and it canbe a few days to process a new passport. Not to mention that you will have to go to that embassy office before a new passport can be issued ( another costly expense) In which case it may be cheaper to just contact your airline and pay the change fees and extra charges to fly home rather than trying to meet up with the cruise.

Bottom line don't miss the ship

• 1 month later...

Great info in this thread. I am just now investigating the possibility of doing this on our western med cruise in September. By going direct from Rome to Florence by train and staying overnight in Florence the re-boarding at Livorno

makes a lot of sense from an efficient use of time sense. Not cheap, and obvious risks of itinerary changes etc, but something I'm interested in regardless.

We just got back from a 12-day Med. on the Serenade. And we did exactly what the OP is considering.

We spent the night in Florence and took the high speed train to Rome in the morning (that in itself was a neat experience!)

The pros: We got to see much more in Pisa/Florence than if we had to run back to the port at 4pm. We saw the Leaning Tower, the Accademia, and the Uffizi, shopped at the Ponte Vecchio, and still had time for leisurely strolls through Florence. As well as a lovely dinner on the Piazza Reppublica. And seriously, taking the train to Rome was a very neat way to see the Italian countryside. We got into Termini in Rome at 9am.... no later than most of the people on the ship.

The cons: this takes TONS of planning and a bit of risk. We had several back up plans in case of late trains, transit strikes, etc. (This was not our first trip to Rome, so we also knew how to get around the city). The cost is also something to consider- the price of hotel, food, and the train to Rome. And also, IF the ship (boat, whatever!) didn't make it to Rome we had plans to get to Athens.

All in all, it was worth it to get some extra time in Florence and an authentic European experience of traveling by high speed train.

Note: we cleared everything with RCI prior to finalizing the plans for this "downline request," as they refer to it. They took our SeaPass cards and gave us our passports in Livorno. We gave them our passports back and got new SeaPass cards in Civitavecchia.

There was another couple who did the same thing on our cruise.... but did not notify RCI at all. The ship left Livorno 45 min late while they looked for them. Morons.

So if you are up for some adventure, are experienced travelling, and have some contingency plans, go for it! I would do it again for sure!

Another option is find a cruise that may be overnighting at a port...my December cruise on the Serenade is overnighting in Rome...we'll be there for 36 hours (from 7A to 7P next day)...

You do realize that this is a myth. The ship does not always wait for whatever reason.
Do you realize that you don't know what you are talking about. I have personally seen many ships wait and they always try to wait. Occasionally they cannot wait due port or schedule constraints ,however the cruiseline will transport you to the next port if this happens and you are on a ships sponsored tour..

Archived