Wine

I have a few questions about wine on RC. Can you purchase a bottle of wine from any of the bars?

If you get the wine package....can you take one of the bottles to your room?

Also, if you bring one of the bottles to the dining room FROM your wine package....do they charge you a corkage fee?

My sister has been getting some information on these questions and I just can't believe her info is correct.

She was told you do pay a corkage fee on a bottle even if it's from your package. And that you can't take an unfinished bottle from the dining room to your room to finish? This makes no sense .

THANKS

I have a few questions about wine on RC. Can you purchase a bottle of wine from any of the bars?

Also, if you bring one of the bottles to the dining room FROM your wine package....do they charge you a corkage fee?

My sister has been getting some information on these questions and I just can't believe her info is correct.

She was told you do pay a corkage fee on a bottle even if it's from your package. And that you can't take an unfinished bottle from the dining room to your room to finish? This makes no sense .

THANKS

Yes (well, most bars, maybe not all - also room service)

Yes

Yes (stupid, I know)

THANKS

Yes, you can purchase bottles of wine from bars, but most bars will have a very limited selection, nothing like the dining room.

Yes, you can take one or more bottles from the package to your room, full or partially full.

You get the wines from the dining room, one (or more) at a time upon your request, so there's no corkage fee.

You can take the wine to your room, they can hold the rest if you don't finish it...

and as someone already said..you get the wine IN the dining room so you do not pay a corkage fee.....

you can also get it in the specialty restaurants and the windjammer but it may take longer...(i haven't done this, but others have..)

I see I misread OP's last question. If you get a bottle from your wine package delivered to your CABIN and carry it to the dining room they will charge a corkage fee. Same with a gift of wine from your TA - if it is sent to your cabin and you take it to the dining room they will charge a corkage fee. If they have it sent directly to the dining room, there is no charge.

I wonder whether that corkage fee is commonly done.

We brought a gifted bottle of wine that we had received in our cabin to Chops earlier in the day. They chilled it for us and served it during our dinner. They didn't charge us for that.

you can also get it in the specialty restaurants and the windjammer

Maybe it's just me, but the words wine and Windjammer shouldn't be used in the same sentence. Having a bottle of wine delivered to a buffet just seems so...well, I'm grasping for a word...but it just doesn't seem right somehow. And this is coming from someone who loves wine...

I see I misread OP's last question. If you get a bottle from your wine package delivered to your CABIN and carry it to the dining room they will charge a corkage fee. Same with a gift of wine from your TA - if it is sent to your cabin and you take it to the dining room they will charge a corkage fee. If they have it sent directly to the dining room, there is no charge.

We have not (during many RCI cruises), found this to be the case. If the wine came out of RCI,s inventory (via personal gift, from C&A, from TA, from ship's officer, etc.), there was no corkage fee charged.

Ray in NH

The RCI policy is to charge a corkage fee on any bottle of wine brought into the dining room from a gift or wine package purchase. That policy is not always observed by your waiter. But the wise thing to do is order the wine to the dining room in the first place. Stupid idea charging a corkage fee on bottles already purchased thru' RCI!

I wonder whether that corkage fee is commonly done.

It's just going to depend on your wait staff. I took a free C&A gift bottle to the dining room and the waiter told me if anyone asked, I "bought it in the MDR". The next cruise, I opened it before heading to dinner and poured it myself. Nothing was said. But I can see running up against a "by the book" wait staffer and being charged. Keep in mind, that same waiter is looking to the end of the cruise for his tip ;)

We will be on the Oasis next year. Are you saying I can go to Vintages try a glass of wine and if I like it, buy a bottle and take it to our room?

Archived