Yet another Live (almost) from the Maasdam Thread (Jun 9 thru 16)

SharonN

I have just one question -- on the Maasdam, where's a good, quiet place to sit and read or watch the ocean?

Since Sharon & John left the ship this morning, they may not see your question for a while. I'm sure they'll give their view when they do.

In the meantime, let me suggest an excellent place to sit quietly and watch the world go by, as you see and listen to the sea, is a spot on Lower Promenade. It's as close to water level as you will get.

Thanks, Sharon and John, for taking us along.

We spent the day a bit south of Boston but still in Boston Harbor, on our daughter and son in law's boat...I so wanted to go into the city on their boat to see the Maasdam but it was too rough. :( We're not usually here this time of year so that would have been a treat.

Thanks so much for your very informative and interesting posts. I'm glad you're enjoying your cruise. I have just one question -- on the Maasdam, where's a good, quiet place to sit and read or watch the ocean?

The small deck on the stern of the Verandah deck...you can access it from the stairs at the back of the Sea View Pool!

We made it home last night and it's back to work this morning (not sure I'm ready for that but...). We stayed an extra night in Boston to visit with my aunt (who will be 95 this year) and 2 cousins. We had a great visit with them. They were a couple of days behind on the blog so the first thing she asked John when she met him was whether he'd ever got a good Lobster Roll.

Thanks for following crusing along with us. Our next cruise is only 205 days away (not that we're counting).

Welcome Home:D:D Our thanks to YOU for taking us along and taking the time to share your experiences with us:D Thanks for a great thread and good luck facing work ;)

The ship is showing her age a bit but still in pretty good shape.
And you may quote me on that, as well. When you see buckets in the Lido near the Canaletto section catching the water coming down, or the flow of water from the inside pool's cover, the old gal is showing signs. There are more, as well, but overall, she's in good shape for her age.

Sharon, I tried Tomc, but could not get any support, so will try you. We will be on the Maas later, and would like to know if they offer Spin classed in the Fitness Center. Could you help with that?

Thanks, GandG

Sorry this took so long but am just getting caught up today on this (after trying to catch up at work all week). We didn't go to the Fitness Center but I checked the Daily Programs and didn't see any mention of a Spin Class.

Enjoying your posts immensely...and I do have a what may be a silly question. Were the lobsters served at dinner Atlantic lobsters? When we were on the Statendam in Feb., they were not.

Honestly not sure but John thinks they might have been since they didn't have the big claw he'd expect from an Alaska one.

Thanks so much for your very informative and interesting posts. I'm glad you're enjoying your cruise. I have just one question -- on the Maasdam, where's a good, quiet place to sit and read or watch the ocean?

Since Sharon & John left the ship this morning, they may not see your question for a while. I'm sure they'll give their view when they do.

In the meantime, let me suggest an excellent place to sit quietly and watch the world go by, as you see and listen to the sea, is a spot on Lower Promenade. It's as close to water level as you will get.

Even with the Lanai cabin we didn't spend much time on deck this trip due to the long tours we had and fog on the one sea day. I always love the Lower Promenade deck but from what I could see all the chairs that have a view of the ocean are the reserved ones for the Lanai Cabin. We did see some people using ours one time when we were about to go out there but didn't seem worth it to make them move when we only had about 15 mins. We also had an issue with people smoking out there which I don't remember being a problem in the past.

Well finally got my photos downloaded. This was the first trip for a new camera (figured I needed to practice with it before next January's cruise where the photos will be very important). Still having problems with accidentally hitting some buttons on the side so will have to work that out. Anyway, thought I'd post a few here:

Maasdam in Quebec City

2706901880081391383S425x425Q85.jpg

Mural on Building in Old Quebec

2428402230081391383S425x425Q85.jpg

St. Anne De Beaupre

2087710260081391383S425x425Q85.jpg

2246321060081391383S425x425Q85.jpg

Making Maple Taffy on Isle D'Orleans

2600476290081391383S425x425Q85.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by g&gtravel viewpost.gif

Sharon, I tried Tomc, but could not get any support, so will try you. We will be on the Maas later, and would like to know if they offer Spin classed in the Fitness Center. Could you help with that?

Thanks, GandG

Sorry this took so long but am just getting caught up today on this (after trying to catch up at work all week). We didn't go to the Fitness Center but I checked the Daily Programs and didn't see any mention of a Spin Class.

Thanks for looking. The other "g" would like to participate if they have them, but if you look at the deck plan video tour, we do not see bikes on the MAAS, but it could be old video.

Glad you are home safely,

g

And you may quote me on that, as well. When you see buckets in the Lido near the Canaletto section catching the water coming down, or the flow of water from the inside pool's cover, the old gal is showing signs. There are more, as well, but overall, she's in good shape for her age.

This is the first negative comment I have ever heard about the Maasdam--the second of the "S" class vessels. And to think I heard it from the August lips of TOMC! She is ONLY about 19years old. The Rotterdam V was on line until she was 47 or 48!

Those are some great pics, Sharon. I especially like the one from Cadillac Mountain.

You'll be all set for those fab shots in Antarctica.

The Rotterdam V was on line until she was 47 or 48!

Rotterdam V was a grand old lady, but let's not make her older than she was. She was 38 when she left the HAL fleet.

Rotterdam V was a grand old lady, but let's not make her older than she was. She was 38 when she left the HAL fleet.

Totally agree Ruth - what a ship she was. We were lucky to be on her.

I didn't realize how old she was (how do you know this stuff;)). I'm just hoping the Prinsendam can last as long:):) Pretty sure they won't replace her:mad:

I didn't realize how old she was (how do you know this stuff;)).

That was the easy part. It's often noted that Rotterdam V debuted in 1959. I was on her last cruise, disembarking Sept. 30, 1997.

I did the basic subtraction.

The new Rotterdam VI was supposed to be in Ft. Lauderdale, boarding passengers the day I disembarked Rotterdam V. Alas, her maiden voyage was delayed, so the two ships didn't meet to transfer the mantle as flagship.

That was the easy part. It's often noted that Rotterdam V debuted in 1959. I was on her last cruise, disembarking Sept. 30, 1997.

I did the basic subtraction.

The new Rotterdam VI was supposed to be in Ft. Lauderdale, boarding passengers the day I disembarked Rotterdam V. Alas, her maiden voyage was delayed, so the two ships didn't meet to transfer the mantle as flagship.

Wow Ruth - you were a part of history - last sailing on the Grand Damme. Somehow I am betting that cruise was sold out big time.

sort of like the Norway on NCL - she was a grand damme too. Should have been in the HAL fleet with her teak wrap around decks

May all the Grand Dammes rest in peace - but I confess I miss them.

Of course the Grande Dame continued sailing for another 3 years under a different flag. I had the privilege of sailing her last Alaska season for HAL, and enjoyed a visit to her last summer.

Roy

Wow Ruth - you were a part of history - last sailing on the Grand Damme. Somehow I am betting that cruise was sold out big time.

You'd be amazed. No one was allowed to book the cruise (at least those of us who weren't "connected" somehow weren't).

When the final cruise was announced, we were allowed to put in our names. Bookings were going to be granted based on how many cruises people had sailed. I did point out to our TA that, although my husband and I didn't have many cruises in total, the ones we did have were a lot of days. I had 75 days on that ship.

Perhaps that made the difference? We got a booking. We didn't even know the itinerary at the time!

Archived