Mediterranean 2013... Help!!

Lars5

Thought I was ready to book the NCL Spirit for early June 2013 and now have cold feet! We're a family of 4 with college age kids and have only cruised on Carnival once previously, so not a lot of cruising experience to draw from. Here's the dilemma.....

The Spirit has the itinerary we like..... daughter doesn't want to miss Greece and Venice, however the more I read about NCL the more nervous I get. I know everything here says to book the itinerary you like, but....The cabins are TINY and there are very few that accommodate four. Booking two balcony rooms is going to be pricey. I have a package deal that includes one cabin and trying to stick with that if at all possible.The ship appears nice but older, darker, lower ceilings, more dated than some of the others out there. Does NCL really end up costing more in the long run with all the add ons?

Royal Caribbean has the Splendor of the Seas with itineraries that would be close. No Venice if we do Greece or No Greece if we do Venice. Any thoughts on that tradeoff? The ship looks newer and nicer. Certainly gets far better reviews on Cruisecritic than the Spirit. Are four at sea days too many on this type of cruise? Three seems perfect but two not enough! I'm guessing this itinerary gets exhausting!?

Third option is the Royal Princess inaugural Europe sailing end of June.... Beautiful, new ship..... perfect itinerary..... pricier, by far...... but I'm worried about the weather heading into July in the Med. Will it really be that much worse in late June than early June? Is the extra price worth it on such a port intensive cruise when we won't be on the ship that often? However, I want this to be special. May be last big trip with the kids.

Sorry to be so long winded... I tried (and failed) to keep it brief. Ha! Any advice you can give on any of these options would be greatly appreciated. Don't want to spend this much money and make a mistake!! I'm driving myself crazy!!!

Thanks!

In terms of the cruise line and the ship I would recommend Princess over the others that you mentioned hands down. I also think they do a wonderful job organizing their tours.

The reality is that the summer can be warm and busy in ports but it won't be a lot different between the two time frames you mentioned.

I would go with Princess but that is a personal opinion.

Keiht

First of all, do not worry much about cabin size. With a little organization and scheduling (showers, dressing, etc..) it may be cozy and bring a family closer together. We've dove the family of four in an inside cabin. No worries.

Splendor of the Seas (built in 1995) is actually older than Norwegian Spirit (built in 1998). Otherwise they are quite similar. Either way, it depends on your style of cruising. I have cruised on all three of the lines you are choosing from, and on similar class ships.

I personally am not a fan of freestyle cruising that NCL does. Basic difference is that you have dinner wherever you want, whenever you want. And the meals in the specialty restaurants was far superior to the main dining room. I also found that since you never had the same waiter twice, the attention to detail was lacking, and so was a lot of fun, and you don't really meet and talk with anyone outside of your group, unless you start chatting it up in the bars, or spa, or hot tub (yikes).

RCI I thought was very nice and very enjoyable, and I found that size ship and amenities very suited to my speed.

My experience with Princess was awesome. At the time, our ship (Crown Princess) was in her inaugural year, brand new, and the line goes all out to impress. Of course you pay for that privilige. Was it worth it? YES.

I would choose the Royal Princess. You say this may be the last trip with your kids as a family unit, so make it a memorable one for all.

Whichever ship you choose, Have fun and enjoy the med. Take a lot of pictures and make good long lasting memories.

Am a bit puzzled why you would worry about Med weather in early July. We have spent more then a year of our lives cruising in the Med and for many years it was all in July (DW was a teacher). The Med is normally under a huge high pressure system throughout the entire summer which usually means good weather with little rain. The only concern for some is that it can get quite hot in some places (like Rome) but we are talking normal summer temps.

Hank

Whoops! Just noticed I said it was the Splendour and it's the Serenade of the Seas. So you're right t_car... the Slendour is older but the Serenade is newer than the NCL Spirit. Yes, Hlitner, I would wait to book but I'm amazed how full these ships are already! Especially the new Princess ship. Thanks for all your input and I'm hoping to hear more about how these three ships compare.

Four in a cabin will make your cruise memorable in more ways than one! The cabins are not large. Even some of the mini suites are smaller than standard hotel rooms. Your youngsters will be in fold down bunks usually over your bed. And then there is the bath. This is definitely a one person at a time space.

Even though the Med itineraries are so port intensive I'd suggest you think about two cabins. To modify the expense you might opt for one oceanview and one interior or one balcony and one interior. This would give your college age children a little more of the freedom they might appreciate. I'd wager they're on a "little" different social schedule than you are.

You are correct about the overwhelming need to see everything and do everything on your cruise but four sea days is one or two too many. Even old folks like me have managed quite well with one sea day on a 12 day Med cruise.

Cruise planning is a challenge, especially the financial side. Don't forget to include tips x 4, passports x 4, flights x 4, cruise fare x 4, excursions x 4, independently (not ta or cruiseline) booked insurance x 4, and on and on. Excursions in Europe are very costly. Check out the Ports of Call boards for background info.

When you select your cruise please join the Roll Call for your sailing. It is one of the most beneficial tools for pre cruise planning.

If we could predict your summer of '13 weather we could afford a suite. Face it, it will be summer and crowded and that means warm temps. Just plan your wardrobes accordingly, making sure you have proper clothing to visit churches.

I'm not a big Princess or NCL fan but you may want to look at Celebrity or Carnival too if you want a ship catering to Americans. I don't think the "kids" would enjoy HAL too much

although they do have more youngsters (passengers less than 80) on their summer cruises.

Do you live in an area with a brick and mortar cruise specalist? A really good travel agent can find the best fit for you and your family. They will do a far better job than the posters here.

Good luck and I hope you and your family have a wonderful time.

Ruby Princess has a very nice itinerary out of Venice, and you could get a mini-suite for less than two balconies on NCL. Expect prices of cabins with balconies and below (OV & insides) to lower as the year moves along. If you book now and watch for the price drops, you can get your fare reduced or move up in cabin type if they happen before final payment. EM

A Med cruise vacation for a family of 4 will be very expensive after you add airfare and all other expenses. Therefore, I will suggest to go for the one you REALLY like. If you really want to see Venice and Greece, book the cruise that goes to both places. BTW, Santorini and Venice are my two favorite Med ports, and Venice is my daughter's favorite.

Don't worry about the cabin size. You are not going to spend too much time in the cabin.

When our family took our Med cruise, we sailed on Grand Princess. It was a great vacation. We went in summer during school holidays. Yes, it was hot, but manageable. Try to arrange outdoor activities in the early morning, and save museum trips (usually air-conditioned) in the afternoon. Gelato helped too :D

I did a Med cruise that included both Venice and Greece on board a Princess ship. Loved it! As to the Med in July, it will be hot, but it will be hot in June as well. I went in September and it was still hot then. It's the summer after all.

If you are cruising mainly for the ports, then I would go with your original NCL plan. You will be off the ship alot, you will probably even eat off the ship. Tours even Do it yourself costs will add up for 4. What you save on the cruise you can spend on land.

Do a budget for land costs as wellas look at cruise costs. Your land costs might be around $400 per day depending on how much you try to see.

Good luck.

To me, the ship is almost as important as the itinerary. If you sail on a ship that has underwhelming food, service and ambiance, it could really affect the rest of your trip.

There's few (if any) itineraries that would include all of our ideal list of ports. I think you may have to decide on what port(s) you may miss this time around.

I would choose a Med cruise with no sea days; I would prefer to be in different ports. You can always relax when you get home! :D

Med weather will be warm in June and July, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Keep doing your research and don't book until you are absolutely sure of ship/ itinerary. The more work that you put into it now, will more than pay off during your holiday.

I went to Greece and Venice aboard Splendour of the Seas - I haven't checked the Splendour itineraries for 2013 but I'm guessing there are still some sailings out of Venice that include Athens and some Greek islands in their itineraries.

If you're travelling something like 5,000 miles, then you're doing it for the itinerary, not the ship. So I'd recommend you pick the itinerary first and only let the ship be a deciding factor if it's totally impossible.

Four in a cabin? I've done it many times. 15 minutes to wash & dress in the morning, 15 minutes to wash & dress for dinner (though as NCL isn't formal you might be able to cut that to 10), 5 minutes to dress at night. That's 2 hours 20 minutes total time, out of 24 hours - easy. Even leaves time for the odd shower! If ladies (or gentlemen) require more time, they'll have to double up. But seriously, you don't need any time in the cabin apart from dressing and sleeping, and when you're asleep it doesn't matter how big the cabin is. It does help if two of you are earlier risers than the other two.

Some randon thoughts...

Four in a cabin is very crowded... two is ideal for the most relaxed , less stress vacation. I would never go with 4 in a cabin...just my personal thought.

Cruising to the Med. is expensive...face it.

Dont worry too much about the money or you will be making that the focus of your trip and not enjoy it.

Make it the trip of your life and do it up well. Go on the ship you want, and pick an itinery you want. We used to cruise Carnival and NCL...and have now chosen to cruise Azamara. We figure if we are spending so much money...we might as well do it exactly the way we want.

I'm sure the four of you have stayed in one hotel room - think of it as that - did you manage - get along?

It sounds as though you're thinking of a balcony room - that is also space that will be utilized while someone showers, dresses, etc. - giving those getting ready - the room to move about more easily, ergo more quickly. You DO have the option (guys - know it will be you) to run to shower in the gym/spa while the ladies use the bathroom.

We would use the hot tub after dinner (which was magical after touring all day!) and shower in the sauna room before heading back to our rooms.

I have not been on any of the ships that you mention, so I really cannot compare room size, but I would definitely save my money (if that is a concern) and book only one room - saving those $$$ for the ports and not having to worry as much about the cost of seeing/doing something that you want to.

I cannot recommend one ship over another as I have not been on any of the ones you listed - we went on HAL - wonderful, but I do agree not for your college aged children (although we went very beginning of Oct, when students would be in school), but the passengers were definitely not 80!

June/July will probably be very warm/hot - just pack and dress accordingly - drink a lot of water regardless of when you go! You can pick up giant bottles of water to take back on board at each port to refill your refillable water bottles rather than purchasing on the ship - or if you order room service breakfast (to save time in the am) also order a pitcher of ice water to refill those bottles. Dehydration DOES cause crankiness!

We did a 13 night Med. cruise, with 10 ports. We only had 2 sea days - after we returned home we all agreed one more sea day would have been sooooo welcome, but we would not have wanted to give up any of the ports we did go to! Just know you will be tired, but what an adventure - see it all, do it all!

Start making your plans now, even before you book a particular cruise or a particular itinerary. This way you know what is available in each of the ports and will not be disappointed afterwards that "If only we had booked x, y or z we would be able to see "_____". As other posters have said, check out the roll calls to see what others on the cruise are looking at doing and what is available for that particular cruise and the ports - just to get an idea of the planning and work that does go into this. Look at the options, have your "group" meetings to review what each of you are looking forward to do in any of the particular ports. We found things that we didn't even know we wanted to see until we started the planning. Case in Point - Hypogeum in Malta - WOW - one of the most astonishing/amazing/not enough adjective places I've ever been to, but never heard of it until the planning process to see what was available to do in Malta. If you check it out and you want to go there - know you will have to book your tix way in advance as they only allow 10 (maybe 12? - not sure) people an hour entry. I'm sure there are other hidden gems out there waiting to be found.

Life's an adventure, don't let squeezing into a room stop you, if this is the only option. I started with comparing a hotel room - have you camped together, staying in the same tent? One room on a cruise ship is so very spacious! Camp showers/bathrooms? The bathroom on a cruise ship is so very spacious and clean! It's all about why you're going on this trip. Is it for the cruise with the room(s) or to explore the itinerary that you let unfold before you.

Another thing that you can spend your saved money on (by booking just the one room): Book a couple of days each end of your cruise in that city in order to really take it in. I just love spending other peoples $$.

Whatever you choose, this is definitely a trip of a lifetime! Whatever other vacations, cruise or land, I've been on - this one has not been topped and I can't imagine it will ever be. Enjoy every moment of it (even the planning stages)!

With college age kids, I would select two cabins (even insides) before sharing a balcony cabin (esp on spirit). med cruises are port intensive...get out and enjoy the ports and the ship...use the cabin to sleep and shower.

For a med cruise, itinerary is number one. have you considered a back to back on Splendour of the seas. I did that...it was great.

With college age kids, I would select two cabins (even insides) before sharing a balcony cabin (esp on spirit). med cruises are port intensive...get out and enjoy the ports and the ship...use the cabin to sleep and shower.

For a med cruise, itinerary is number one. have you considered a back to back on Splendour of the seas. I did that...it was great.

I completely agree with Starry Eyes. You can get a balcony cabin for yourself, and book an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. They are not going to spend much time using balcony anyway.

I completely agree with Starry Eyes. You can get a balcony cabin for yourself, and book an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. They are not going to spend much time using balcony anyway.

Since the "kids" are college age, they may not have to be right across the hall. assuming you trust them to behave, the cabins could be some distance apart if necessary. If they are both below 21 but reliable, you could book one parent and one young adult in each cabin on paper, then rearrange after boarding. If they cannot be trusted on a cruiseship, you might also worry like made when they are away at school or out with friends. On a med cruise, I'd give up even give up a balcony for two insides for the space, bathrooms and privacy...opinions and families vary, of course.

another thought...if you are available in May instead of June, you might consider moving the trip. Generally spring airfares to Europe are less than peak summer rates, and the breakpoint between the rates is usually late May. You may also get better cruise fares in May. the crowds may be lower in May. you can check weather sites, but I think May would be great touring weather...Summer is beach weather, but I suspect you are going for tours and culture more than beaches...We have beaches on this side of the Atlantic. If you are from Colorado, presumably you are more accustomed to cool to moderate temps vs super hot.

We were in the Med. last month (early May). The temperatures were already getting warm and the crowds were building. Venice (we fell in love with Venice) had the most crowds -- and they were not from cruiise ships -- just general tourists. I asked our tour guide what it was like in mid-summer -- her response was "hell". She explained that it was difficult to even walk around in July/August and the weather can be extremely hot.

I would worry more about the crowds than the heat. With so many people you cannot really get into places that you may want to see. The small shops and restaurants will be packed.

Med. cruises are typically port intensive and you will be spending a lot of time away from the ship. Just something to consider.

Archived