Will PRINCESS change their loyalty program?

KruzPrincess

Mike,

As of this moment Princess' Elite and Suite passengers have unlimited laundry.

Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with the benefits Princess offers. I was questioning the NCL laundry benefit. Swedish weave posted what appears to me to be contradicting statements and I was just trying to get it straight.

Thank you for the reply. I am familiar with the benefits Princess offers. I was questioning the NCL laundry benefit. Swedish weave posted what appears to me to be contradicting statements and I was just trying to get it straight.

I have done mostly seven and eight day cruises on NCL, and know that the free laundry service is offered to Platinum Lattitudes guests when the weekly special is advertised. This is done once on the seven and eight day cruises. It was offered twice on the back to back seven day cruises we made last year.

I have no personal knowledge of their procedures on longer cruises, but others have posted that it is done weekly.

I have advised those who have questions to access the NCL website for answers.

I have done mostly seven and eight day cruises on NCL, and know that the free laundry service is offered to Platinum Lattitudes guests when the weekly special is advertised. This is done once on the seven and eight day cruises. It was offered twice on the back to back seven day cruises we made last year.

I have no personal knowledge of their procedures on longer cruises, but others have posted that it is done weekly.

I have advised those who have questions to access the NCL website for answers.

Thanks for the information. The website didn't offer any detailed information that I could find. We only do laundry once on a 7 day cruise only because we can and not because we need to.

A loyalty program is a thank-you program. It is a way for the cruise line to say thank-you to its repeat passengers. The monetary value of perks given out by the cruise lines are not really significant. More important is what they say to the cruise passenger. They are a way of saying to me that they are glad I have traveled with them again.

The Captain's Circle is much more difficult to implement than a hotel or airline loyalty program. Points from hotels or airlines MUST be redeemed at the time of booking for either a hotel night or an airline ticket, respectively. A cruise line gives gifts and services only after the customer boards the ship. There is no limit on the number of Platinum or Elite passengers that can book a particular cruise. So, the numbers of perks for a particular cruise is not known until all final payments are made. For instance, an unusually high number of Elite passengers can cause a bottleneck on those washers and dryers doing those free loads of laundry. I am sure they have ways of planning for any possibility. But, it does seem difficult to me. They seem to do a good job following through.

For instance, an unusually high number of Elite passengers can cause a bottleneck on those washers and dryers doing those free loads of laundry.

I doubt it. These are really giant washers and dryers. You have to take the Ultimate Ship's Tour to see how big they really are.

The Elites' laundry amount is insignificant when compared to the number of towels, sheets, tablecloths and napkins washed each day.

I doubt it. These are really giant washers and dryers. You have to take the Ultimate Ship's Tour to see how big they really are.

The Elites' laundry amount is insignificant when compared to the number of towels, sheets, tablecloths and napkins washed each day.

I agree. The commercial machines used in the ship's laundry are huge. Probably as big as a large refrigerator/freezer. The machines that iron sheets and tablecloths are big enough to be able to feed them in flat.

are the machines Princess uses a standard size that would also be found on other cruise lines including Carnival?

One of the reasons given for the cutback on the unlimited laundry on CCL was that there were so many Platinums onboard that it was putting a burden on the laundry.

Before they announced the cutbacks there were some cruises where the free unlimited laundry was limited to once per week due to the amount of Platinum members onboard.

Bill

are the machines Princess uses a standard size that would also be found on other cruise lines including Carnival?

One of the reasons given for the cutback on the unlimited laundry on CCL was that there were so many Platinums onboard that it was putting a burden on the laundry.

Before they announced the cutbacks there were some cruises where the free unlimited laundry was limited to once per week due to the amount of Platinum members onboard.

Bill

I have never heard of a problem like that on Princess.

Bill

Carnival probably has more passengers who pay for laundry than Princess has since Princess has self service washers and dryers on board. Perhaps that combined with the free elite service caused a problem.

If the machines are the same as NCL uses, the washers are 250 lb capacity (If memory serves me correctly). The laundry staff could have been short or overwhelmed by the number of items or bags. I could not think of any situation where I would need more that one bag done per week.

Carnival probably has more passengers who pay for laundry than Princess has since Princess has self service washers and dryers on board. Perhaps that combined with the free elite service caused a problem.

Carnival also has self service washers and dryers on all their ships.

I think that with Carnivals old policy of 10 cruises to make Platinum and Carnival has so many more 3 and 4 day cruises that there are just a lot of people that are Platinum.

Bill

I agree. The commercial machines used in the ship's laundry are huge. Probably as big as a large refrigerator/freezer. The machines that iron sheets and tablecloths are big enough to be able to feed them in flat.

That is good to know. I am especially intrigued by the machines that iron sheets and tablecloths. It would be so interesting to see those in operation.

I have a question about dry cleaning. On the Crown transatlantic this year, it was announced that there would be no dry cleaning service available. Aside from equipment failure, any thoughts on why this would occur?

That is good to know. I am especially intrigued by the machines that iron sheets and tablecloths. It would be so interesting to see those in operation.

I have a question about dry cleaning. On the Crown transatlantic this year, it was announced that there would be no dry cleaning service available. Aside from equipment failure, any thoughts on why this would occur?

I'm new to Princess, but I think I've read that Princess doesn't offer dry cleaning. We usually have our formal clothing cleaned on the ship, instead of at home. That way we don't have to worry about how it's packed. I'd love to be wrong & see that they do offer dry cleaning. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable Princess cruisers will chime in.

I'm new to Princess, but I think I've read that Princess doesn't offer dry cleaning. We usually have our formal clothing cleaned on the ship, instead of at home. That way we don't have to worry about how it's packed. I'd love to be wrong & see that they do offer dry cleaning. I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable Princess cruisers will chime in.

We were on the Cown in Jan and Ruby in Feb and they both offered dry cleaning.

Princess offers "cleaning", not "dry cleaning". They claim this is equivalent to dry cleaning but without the use of the chemicals that are now counsidered an environmental hazard.

This is in additoon to the reglular laundry (wash and dry) service.

Princess offers "cleaning", not "dry cleaning". They claim this is equivalent to dry cleaning but without the use of the chemicals that are now counsidered an environmental hazard.

This is in additoon to the reglular laundry (wash and dry) service.

This is great news. I thought I had read they only offered laundry service. How is the cleaning service? Is it effective & are they careful with your clothes? Celebrity's dry cleaning is equal to our local dry cleaners, & was cheaper the last time we compared prices. If Princess' cleaning is the same, that will be awesome. We're more concerned with our clothes coming back clean, pressed, & not damaged than we are with the price though.

DH sent his tux on our last cruise on the Emerald last winter and it came back nicely done. Much nicer, in fact, than his tux shirt, which I usually have to re-press. I sent a fussy formal dress but asked that, if they couldn't safely clean it, they wouldn't try. They returned it to me uncleaned but on a hanger. I paid $30 to have it done at the cleaners at home.

DH sent his tux on our last cruise on the Emerald last winter and it came back nicely done. Much nicer, in fact, than his tux shirt, which I usually have to re-press. I sent a fussy formal dress but asked that, if they couldn't safely clean it, they wouldn't try. They returned it to me uncleaned but on a hanger. I paid $30 to have it done at the cleaners at home.

Thanks for the info. We'll definitely have my DH's tux cleaned on the ship. If we send it as soon as we see our room steward, is there an option to get it next day? We don't mind paying extra. I just want to make sure he has it for the first formal night, which appears to be the second day of the cruise. I will be taking one dress with sequins & one with beads. Should I not trust the cleaners with them? They were too expensive to risk them being ruined. FWIW, I've had them clean on a Celebrity ship in the past.

This is great news. I thought I had read they only offered laundry service. How is the cleaning service? Is it effective & are they careful with your clothes? Celebrity's dry cleaning is equal to our local dry cleaners, & was cheaper the last time we compared prices. If Princess' cleaning is the same, that will be awesome. We're more concerned with our clothes coming back clean, pressed, & not damaged than we are with the price though.

The dry cleaning service is just like home.

Thanks for the info. We'll definitely have my DH's tux cleaned on the ship. If we send it as soon as we see our room steward, is there an option to get it next day? We don't mind paying extra. I just want to make sure he has it for the first formal night, which appears to be the second day of the cruise.

Yes, you can get it back the next day, but it may not be back until between 5-6 PM. Be sure to let your cabin steward know you would like it back as soon as he can get it.

The fee for "same day service" is 50% more than the regular service charge.

The dry cleaning service is just like home.

Yes, you can get it back the next day, but it may not be back until between 5-6 PM. Be sure to let your cabin steward know you would like it back as soon as he can get it.

The fee for "same day service" is 50% more than the regular service charge.

Thanks to both of you for the info. We have late seating, so 5-6 pm would be fine. I'm really glad to see I had misunderstood & they do have a form of dry cleaning.

Help, this has changed into a laundry/dry cleaning discussion. Next we will start seeing soap commercials.

You just gave me an idea. Create a new loyalty level between platinum and elite an make one of the perks a roll of quarters and a package of laundry detergent as the new perk. Maybe they can get Proctor and Gamble to sponsor it. They can market new products through Princess.

I have no problem with Princess going to days sailed as long as they grandfather those current Elites in. I think they need to do something or there are just going to be too many Elites once the 3/4 day cruises start in the Caribbean.

Or they could count those short cruises as 1/2 cruise.

Archived