Taxi Fares

Approximately how much would it cost for a taxi from the CBD (Hilton Sydney) to the cruise terminal (OPT)?

Approximately how much would it cost from the airport to the Hilton Sydney?

Many thanks.

Larry

Boynton Beach, FL

Approximately how much would it cost for a taxi from the CBD (Hilton Sydney) to the cruise terminal (OPT)?

Many thanks.

Larry

Boynton Beach, FL

taxi fare from Hilton to OPT approx $10 & approx $40 from airport to Hilton depending on traffic

I had heard there was an extra tax on the airport rail line

that made it better value for 2 or more to use a cab.

When on holiday , its much nicer to travel door to door,

rather than schlep your bags up and down escalators,

on and off trains , and through CBD traffic..etc .. :D

Thank you, all. We shall opt for the taxi and not have to worry about "schlepping" our bags. I didn't realize that the word "schlep" had made its way down under.

Again, thanks, one and all.

Larry & Ethel:)

Many thanks.

Larry

Boynton Beach, FL

this is from the Hilton website

By Taxi

From Sydney Airport, taxis are available to take you directly to the Hilton Sydney hotel. The journey normally takes around 30 minutes and costs approximately $45-$50

http://www.hiltonsydney.com.au/directions-map

The only time we use a taxi in Sydney is from the cruise ship to the International Airport. Used to be $35 ,...

last one was $65.

They used to come through town until they opened the new motorway . It now takes longer and costs more.:eek:

check out the taxi quote

http://www.taxifare.com.au/

That's not a quote i.e. not from the operator, but some private site. It doesn't say what rate is used, and I also suspect it's not including toll tariffs even though the route given includes a toll.

To test I compared it against a trip I had in Sydney a couple of weeks back, with no traffic delays. It's 'estimate': $40.65. Real charge (not including CC surcharge): $58.20.

I'd say its figures are both out of date and it doesn't include tolls to be so far out. I'd say the other estimates given above are more realistic, as they're based on real experience.

edit: I found a link deep in its site to rates - that didn't work - but through some other searching it appears to have the same rates. It just isn't coming up with realistic figures, based on real world feedback. The tolls may well be a part of that.

That's not a quote i.e. not from the operator, but some private site. It doesn't say what rate is used, and I also suspect it's not including toll tariffs even though the route given includes a toll.

To test I compared it against a trip I had in Sydney a couple of weeks back, with no traffic delays. It's 'estimate': $40.65. Real charge (not including CC surcharge): $58.20.

I'd say its figures are both out of date and it doesn't include tolls to be so far out. I'd say the other estimates given above are more realistic, as they're based on real experience.

edit: I found a link deep in its site to rates - that didn't work - but through some other searching it appears to have the same rates. It just isn't coming up with realistic figures, based on real world feedback. The tolls may well be a part of that.

Agreed. it also can't differentiate between a busy traffic jam weekday morning and a no traffic Sunday morning-ends up with same price:rolleyes:

The cost of a taxi is very much dependant on traffic as the fare is calculated per minute of travel (in reality this works out at about $1 per minute) have you noticed that the meter keeps ticking over when stopped at the traffic lights.:mad:although it is quoted based on distance travelled.

Budget on $50 taxi fare,less on weekend, more during rush hours.

Once again, thank you all. We thought we would pay with a credit card. However, there appears to be a surcharge for doing so. Therefore, we will purchase some AUD prior to our trip and then use the ATM for additional $$.

All your advice has been very helpful.

On a separate matter, do you think the Hilton Sydney would be willing to store our luggage for a few hours following our cruise? We have an afternoon flight. We will be staying at the Hilton prior to the cruise.

Many thanks for your good advice.

Larry & Ethel:)

Some things need to be cleared up here.

There is a fee for using EFTPOS in a taxi. It does not matter what type of card it is, credit or debit. The extra fee is charged by the company that owns the equipment. The one that you will find most is Cabcharge. They charge a service fee of 10%, and then there is GST added to this as well. So on a $20 fare it would cost an extra $2.20 in fees. GST on the taxi fare is included in the rate.

In Sydney there is a flag fall of $3.40. If the taxi is moving the fare is calculated on a kilometer rate, of $2.06 per kilometer, not on a time rate. If the taxi is stationary it adds to the fare at a rate of 89 cents per minute. This is most commonly known as wait time, but in Sydney if the car is traveling under 26 km/h then this rate is also used. If you phone for a taxi, there is a booking fee added of $2.50.

If there are 5 or more people traveling the rate will be higher. This is known as maxi rates. You should not be charged for your luggage.

More info can be found here.

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/content/maximum-taxi-fares-and-charges

For what it is worth, I drive a taxi full time, although not in a major city.

Some things need to be cleared up here.

If there are 5 or more people traveling the rate will be higher. This is known as maxi rates. You should not be charged for your luggage.

Everything you said is correct, however regarding your comment that I have quoted above....

I just returned this morning from a trip to Sydney for the weekend and was told by the concierge at the hotel I stayed at, that if we order a maxi taxi to take more than 5 of us there is a surcharge, however if we find a maxi taxi without actually booking one, it is illegal for them to charge a surcharge. I dunno if that is true, but that is what they told me.

He is wrong.

"Except in the case of a multiple hiring, up to 150% of the maximum fares and charges (excluding tolls) may be charged if:

The maxi-cab is pre-booked, regardless of the number of passengers

The maxi-cab is hired from a taxi zone or street hail, if there are 5 or more passengers"

It is in the link that I posted from the transport department.

He is wrong.

"Except in the case of a multiple hiring, up to 150% of the maximum fares and charges (excluding tolls) may be charged if:

The maxi-cab is pre-booked, regardless of the number of passengers

The maxi-cab is hired from a taxi zone or street hail, if there are 5 or more passengers"

It is in the link that I posted from the transport department.

Thanks Keagle for clarifying this. I have advised people before that Maxis do not cost more but so far only given this advice to couples with lots of luggage or people travelling with portable mobility aids that will not fit in standard taxi boots. Will keep the number of pax in mind in future if the hire does not involve a wheelchair or scooter. BTW our experience with taxi drivers in Sydney has been very positive.

Colleen

I had heard there was an extra tax on the airport rail line

that made it better value for 2 or more to use a cab.

When on holiday , its much nicer to travel door to door,

rather than schlep your bags up and down escalators,

on and off trains , and through CBD traffic..etc .. :D

Take a look at:

www.cityrail.info/tickets/fare_calculator.htm

It's about $15-16 per person from either airport to the CBD, so it would have to be 3-4 or more people for a taxi to be cheaper.

However, it is a TON of work schleping your bags around. I'm young and in good shape, and even I thought it ALMOST wasn't worth it.

If you get into Sydney early, the MyMulti Day Pass is a great deal. For $21pp it not only covers the ride to the hotel or ship, but all public buses, trains, and ferries for the rest of the day.

• 2 weeks later...
another option is the airport shuttle bus http://www.kst.com.au/Sydney/Airport-Shuttle-Bus-to-City-Sydney/

Kingsford Smith Transport - never again. We booked them for our recent cruise and had to wait a full hour at Sydney Airport for the bus, and then we drove around Sydney dropping people off for another hour before we reached Wharf 5.

We had already booked and paid for our return trip - unfortunately. We had to wait nearly an hour for the bus to turn up at the wharf. Thankfully, we went straight to the airport.

In future we will take a taxi, although we have learnt through experience that we have to give exact directions to the terminal.

It is unbelieveable how many taxi drivers have never heard of Wharf 5 or even Darling Harbour. We now know we have to say Wharf 5 in Hickson Road. Then they can get directions off their GPS. Otherwise, it can be a nightmare trying to direct a taxi driver with limited English and even less sense of direction. Our last taxi driver wanted to off-load us on the western side of Darling Harbour (directly opposite the ship) and told us to walk!!! Yeh, right. That would have been (maybe) a couple of kilometres dragging luggage. Not on!!

Kingsford Smith Transport - never again. We booked them for our recent cruise and had to wait a full hour at Sydney Airport for the bus, and then we drove around Sydney dropping people off for another hour before we reached Wharf 5.

We had already booked and paid for our return trip - unfortunately. We had to wait nearly an hour for the bus to turn up at the wharf. Thankfully, we went straight to the airport.

In future we will take a taxi, although we have learnt through experience that we have to give exact directions to the terminal.

It is unbelieveable how many taxi drivers have never heard of Wharf 5 or even Darling Harbour. We now know we have to say Wharf 5 in Hickson Road. Then they can get directions off their GPS. Otherwise, it can be a nightmare trying to direct a taxi driver with limited English and even less sense of direction. Our last taxi driver wanted to off-load us on the western side of Darling Harbour (directly opposite the ship) and told us to walk!!! Yeh, right. That would have been (maybe) a couple of kilometres dragging luggage. Not on!!

What a disaster:eek: I know Sydney airport very well and would never use KST for reasons i can't mention here. There are other private services you can use including chauffer driven hire cars that meet you at the Terminal Gate. You often see dozens of them lined up under the Chauffer Drivers sign opposite gate A & B. The likes of KST are not permitted to pick up passengers within the terminal.

As far as taxi driver's are concerned, i agree that there are many that have a poor knowledge of the city - beats me how they obtained there licences as the test is quite tough. God knows what will happen after March when Wharf 5 closes and everything moves to the other side of Darling Harbour at White Bay.

Archived