New Enland/Canada cruise questions - routes/ships

Zelindar

We just returned from our first ever cruise and could not have been more pleased.

So now we're planning a New England/Canada cruise for the fall of 2013 and I have a number of questions.

Ships

We would like to sail north to south or vice versa and I've been told we shouldn't miss Quebec City. The ships that appear to have one-way cruises that include Quebec are Norwegian Dawn and Holland Maasdam.

We absolutely loved the Volendam and her crew and would love to sail the Maasdam but the cost is so much higher than any other lines I've researched. If the Dawn is anything like the quality we found with Holland we can deal with the higher passenger count.

What are opinion of the Dawn? I've read some not too flattering comments but with 5 ports in 7 days, how bad can it be? We're laid back and don't need (or really want) climbing walls, mini golf, etc. but Holland is almost double the cost of other lines for this cruise. What to do?

Am I missing any ships or cruise lines that I should consider that don't return to their original port?

Routes

I found to routes with differing ports and would like opinions. We love history and museums and prefer to be away from crowds.

Any opinions of these routes?

(north or south)

Norwegian Dawn

Boston

Portland

Halifax, Nova Scotia

At Sea

Charlottetown, Price Edward Island

Caspe, Quebec

Le Baie, Quebec

Quebec City, Quebec

OR (north or south)

Holland Maasdam

Boston

Bar Harbor

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Charlottetown, Price Edward Island

Cruise Gulf of St Lawrence

Quebec City, Quebec

Cruise Gulf of St Lawrence

Montreal

OR (north or south)

Norwegian Dawn

Quebec City

At sea

Corner Brook, Newfoundland

Sydney, Nova Scotia

Halifax, Nova Scotia

St John, New Brunswick

Bar Harbor

Boston

I know I'll have more questions but this is a start!

We've done similar trips with both NCL (Pearl...about the same itinerary as the last you posted) and HAL (forgot ship) and loved them both. If your time allows, I'd suggest the northbound and tack on an extra day or so in Quebec City. Had not expected to enjoy it that much and loved the City and area around it. Probably would go with the bottom one you posted, starting in Boston. Beautiful trip no matter which one you choose, though. Don't go too late for fear rains will bring down leaves. Hope for lovely autumn foliage! Envious of your going!

Hi; if you'd like specifics on the NCL Dawn, I'd read its member reviews and also post the question on the NCL board.

I've been to some of those ports but not all, and that one-way cruise is appealing.

happy sailing.

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping for a 7-day, one way cruise this time so it leaves a number of ships out because they do round trip only. I've read so many negative reviews about the Veedam that I'm hesitant to consider her but I've got plenty of time to do more research.

After the wonderful time we had on the (relatively) small Volendam, it's painful to consider the monster ships I keep reading about. Maybe I'd be pleasantly surprised to find that 3,000 doesn't feel like large number due to a ship's size. I like the numbers 1,200 or 1,400 much more. :)

I'm sure we will have a wonderful time, regardless of who who we go with.

I am an New Englander. Born in Massachusetts. Lived in Boston and now, Portland Maine for more than 30 years. I go down to the port with my Great Dane every time a ship is in port. Can't get enough about cruising.Here are my thoughts about ports not to be missed:

Boston, Portland,Bar Harbor, Halifax, Quebec City.

The best time to see color (leaf peeping, as they say) is last week in Sept. through the first two weeks in Oct.

In Maine, peak foliage seems to always be the first week in Oct.

If it were me, I'd consider the itinerary first, the age of the ship second. Personally, I would not sail on NCL.

Interesting about what you've read about Veendam, because there are a LOT of negative feelings about NCL ships.

Crystal does one way Canada/New England cruises, out of Boston to Montreal.

While you've been researching, have you been looking at "brochure rates" only, or have you contacted a TA to request pricing? I'm asking because our experience has been that "brochure rates" are pure fiction, regardless of which line. When you actually call to book, seems no matter who you call there is a promotional fare, early booking fare, discounted fare, 24 hour sale, happy hour pricing, senior discount, AAA discount, first of the month, last of the month, middle of the month discount..... blah, blah, blah. I think it's been well over 20 years since we actually paid the "brochure rate".

What category cabin are you looking at? If you want a balcony, then Maasdam will be a fair bit higher as it is an older ship, w/ fewer balconies. But if you're willing to settle for an outside view (but no balcony) I would think pricing would be more competitive.

Certainly I'd rather be on ANY cruise ship than here at work, but even though we haven't sailed on NCL (and HAVE been on HAL 8 times, including a trip on the Maasdam) I'd be willing to pay a premium of as much as $300 per person to take HAL over NCL, based on all I have read about them. JMHO

I'm a first time cruiser sailing on Brilliance of the seas leaving from quebec. I'm soo confused about dining and entertainment. Do I have to make reservations before boarding?

No reservations needed on Brillance. (Only the megaships have reservations for entertainment).

Do you have traditional dining, or My Time Dining? Traditional dining, you just eat at a set time and table every night. If you have My Time, RCI will ask you to make dinner reservations, but you dont have to. You can just walk up whenever you want to eat.

Come on over to the Royal Caribbean board for more ship-specific, and more cruiseline specific, information. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83#

Hi. I've found it best to try the cruiselines for myself rather than go by other people's opinions.

All cruises have been GREAT--including NCL.

And I would not dismiss the larger ships as they have a lot to offer.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the input.

To answer michmike, I've been looking at pricing everywhere until my travel agent returns from vacation. Then I can get more into the real pricing of staterooms. I did sign up for *************** to track pricing as well. For as cheap as it is, it was worth trying it out. I'll let you know what I think after some time goes by.

All I know at this point is we want to sail one way for 7 days. I'd prefer to sail out of Boston or Quebec (or Montreal if we choose Holland Maasdam). Willing to go to New York but we've done NYC and would like to spend time in Boston this time if possible. Flying into or out of Canada VS some other mode is also a consideration. I'm looking into if a train would work for us instead.

I would not sail again on Norwegian unless I got a great rate on a cruise that we could drive to (Charleston, Norfolk, or Baltimore). I think it's worth it to pay a bit more to get a much better experience. Someone on here once wrote that it's better to upgrade your ship than to upgrade your cabin.

Thanks for all the input.

To answer michmike, I've been looking at pricing everywhere until my travel agent returns from vacation. Then I can get more into the real pricing of staterooms. I did sign up for *************** to track pricing as well. For as cheap as it is, it was worth trying it out. I'll let you know what I think after some time goes by.

All I know at this point is we want to sail one way for 7 days. I'd prefer to sail out of Boston or Quebec (or Montreal if we choose Holland Maasdam). Willing to go to New York but we've done NYC and would like to spend time in Boston this time if possible. Flying into or out of Canada VS some other mode is also a consideration. I'm looking into if a train would work for us instead.

Based on what your wants are, I would recommend the HAL Maasdam on the Boston to Montreal (or reverse). The Montreal portion of the cruise is only done by smaller ships, and the Maasdam is one of the best in that category. And the travel, air or rail options, are much better in Montreal than Quebec City.

I have done nine New England/Canada cruises since 2002, and have enjoyed them all--whether on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, and NCL.:)

Based on what your wants are, I would recommend the HAL Maasdam on the Boston to Montreal (or reverse). The Montreal portion of the cruise is only done by smaller ships, and the Maasdam is one of the best in that category. And the travel, air or rail options, are much better in Montreal than Quebec City.

I have done nine New England/Canada cruises since 2002, and have enjoyed them all--whether on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, and NCL.:)

This is a good thought - about the travel from Montreal. I would pick either of the 2 last ones because they include Bar Harbor. I liked Portland, but would prefer a day on Cadillac Mt. We like outdoorsy stuff. Portland does have a foodie tour that looked interesting.

I have been on the Dawn and liked that size ship (in-between). Include in your price quote the pay restaurants every night if you sail her. Have not sailed the Maasdam yet, but it looks nice.

Archived