Not shy to ask - what is country club casual?

wassup4565

Heh heh. I don't belong to a country club. So I don't know what you would wear if you were going casual in your country club. I intend to go to dinner in the dining rooms on Riviera, and I certainly wouldn't want to cause shock and awe by my clothing.

So have at it, experienced O-people. What the heck is "country club casual?" Elucidate me.

Most folks wear nice, but casual clothes. Very few people "dress up" - can't recall seeing many men in suits or ties, or many women in 'cocktail dresses'. Don't think I've ever seen any guests in formal wear. The dining venue matters too...the Terrace Cafe is very casual, the Grand Dining Room a bit more formal and people get a little fancier in the specialty restaurants. I think mostly Oceania is trying to stress that there are NO "formal nights".

On my first Windstar (casual much like Oceania) cruise, an always impeccably dressed woman said to me "I do love these casual cruises - you don't have to bring the heavy jewelry"...

Okay, a little more specific? Would a floor length denim skirt with a nautical striped knit top do? Or how about mid-calf capris with a coordinating t-shirt and jacket? Or the black floor-length tube skirt with a glitter T and a shawl? Seriously, I just read what I just wrote and I can't believe I typed that. Do I care?????

It's just that I read a comment on a thread here recently that it was a pity some folks just didn't know what country club casual means. I thought I'd ask, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't care. I'll be neat and clean, and look like I made an effort. That's as far as I can go.

As for the "heavy" jewellery, what a relief. It's not a burden I have in my life.

Okay, a little more specific? Would a floor length denim skirt with a nautical striped knit top do? Or how about mid-calf capris with a coordinating t-shirt and jacket? Or the black floor-length tube skirt with a glitter T and a shawl? Seriously, I just read what I just wrote and I can't believe I typed that. Do I care?????

It's just that I read a comment on a thread here recently that it was a pity some folks just didn't know what country club casual means. I thought I'd ask, but the more I think about it, the more I realize I don't care. I'll be neat and clean, and look like I made an effort. That's as far as I can go.

As for the "heavy" jewellery, what a relief. It's not a burden I have in my life.

If you try the search button on the top of this page you will find many discussions on this topic.:)

Hi!

Since you haven't listed your location. It won't help me pick retail stores you can .. think ...oh I get it!

So, let's try this.

Country Club Casual is usually what is classic style

Think these stores...Talbot, Ann Taylor, somewhat Lands end.

Also classical with a twist and bit modern...J crew, Kate Spade

Typically I would wear ankle length black or khaki type pants with a sweater set, cute sandals/ballet flats and then accessorize (not with pearls :) )

If your weather is warm sun dresses are appropriate with the girls kept in their place and no bra straps showing (tacky)

I dont belong to a country club, but I dress the part well...My clothing may or may not be from the stores mention, but definately inspired.

(I have been known to bring a Kate Spade purse into the Dollar store and find very cute hair accessories)

Hope this helps.

I'm new to Oceania, but I've been sailing on their sister line, Regent, for a long time. Here's my take on Country Club Casual:

Men: khaki or other nice pants and collared shirts. Jacket optional.

Women: nice pants or capris and nice top, dresses of various kinds, including sundresses, simple long skirts and nice tops. A bit of glitz can be achieved with a nice top, jewellery and a shawl.

For both: no jeans (so that might mean no denim, not sure). No sandals for men (although I've never figured that out.) No shorts. No sneakers.

All this applies after 6 p.m., all over the ship. Jeans, sneakers and shorts are fine before that.

Okay -- from the perspective of 9 prior Oceania cruises on Insignia, Regatta and Marina, for a warm weather cruise and for GRD and specialty restaurants I have dressed for dinner in Capri pants with pretty tops, short (or long) skirts with pretty tops, slacks with pretty tops - or a sundress. Spangly or sequined items and cocktail dresses only if you personally prefer the look. Bring a shawl or bolero jacket in case you feel cool. DH wears Khakis or dress slacks with collared golf or dress shirts - no tie or jacket.

I lean towards sleeveless or cap/short sleeve solid or print tops with lycra/spandex content as they hold their shape and don't wrinkle, whatever the weather.

In the Terrace Cafe (or Tapas on the small ships) any of the above, Bermuda or walking shorts are fine for both men and women. Even jeans. And there my DH will wear his sandals.

Sandals means beach sandals and flip flops. Dressy sandals are fine.

But you are right to ask. On my first Oceania cruise, I saw evening gowns on two ladies - once. I guess they had brought them and decided to wear them to Toscana.

If one is not sure about "Country Club Casual" because they don't belong to a CC (I don't), think of what you would wear to a nice restaurant for a dinner in your home town/city - you can't go wrong with that. :)

If one is not sure about "Country Club Casual" because they don't belong to a CC (I don't), think of what you would wear to a nice restaurant for a dinner in your home town/city - you can't go wrong with that. :)

Paul, you're absolutely correct, but I have to say that if I wore what is typically worn to the nicest restaurant in Okeechobee (where there are more cows than people), I'd be tossed out of an Oceania restaurant on my ear. Somehow, jeans, western shirts, Stetson hats and dirty boots are not de rigueur on Oceania :rolleyes::p:D. I'm not a native, still an outsider after four years, and still considered a Yankee despite 40 years in Florida, so I wear shorts, tee shirt and a Tilley hat. But then, Cowboys BBQ is probably the top rated restaurant :cool:. We do have a country club, but it's funny to see folks playing golf in cowboy boots with spikes (OK, now I'm exaggerating a little...but it wouldn't surprise me).

Having joked about that, I do know how to dress in San Francisco -- and Oceania, obviously!

Jan, I love you (and your kids) dearly - but Chico's ain't what it used to be! Try J.Jill or Eileen Fisher (less glitzie and better constructed) lol:rolleyes: - also a little more forgiving at the end of a cruise!

frkjrk

Having joked about that, I do know how to dress in San Francisco -- and Oceania, obviously!

Funny that you should mention San Francisco. In over 23 years that I have lived here, there has been only one restaurant in town where a jacket was always required - to the best of my knowledge. It isTommy Toy's - I am not sure if they still do, but I am about to find out as I am having my BD dinner there.

That includes quite a few very "fancy" and Michelin rated restaurants.

I guess that is why I like Oceania almost as much as I like SF - the casual yet elegant atmosphere of both :D

Jan, I love you (and your kids) dearly - but Chico's ain't what it used to be! Try J.Jill or Eileen Fisher (less glitzie and better constructed) lol:rolleyes: - also a little more forgiving at the end of a cruise!

frkjrk

LOL..I also shop at Colwater Creek for the not so glitzy..Im also big into a brand called Flax ..My favorite skirts to bring are reversible skirts (I have 2) that I take with different tops..and since scarves are so big one nice scarf changes the whole outfit!! The one thing I have no trouble doing is packing clothes..its the shoes that do me in..

Jancruz1

LOL..I also shop at Colwater Creek for the not so glitzy..Im also big into a brand called Flax ..My favorite skirts to bring are reversible skirts (I have 2) that I take with different tops..and since scarves are so big one nice scarf changes the whole outfit!! The one thing I have no trouble doing is packing clothes..its the shoes that do me in..

Jancruz1

Jan - I love Chicos but find that some of their fashions are a bit heavy to pack. Where did you find reversible skirts???? Sounds like a great idea. Regards, Marsha

Just off Marina 18 June and some people on our cruise confused country bumpkin for country casual. But generally the standard was quite high. Being a Brit - we don't have country clubs - I asked a number of men onboard for their take on what CC casual meant and to my surprise most said they would wear a jacket and tie at their local club - but not on Oceania.

Just off Marina 18 June and some people on our cruise confused country bumpkin for country casual. But generally the standard was quite high. Being a Brit - we don't have country clubs - I asked a number of men onboard for their take on what CC casual meant and to my surprise most said they would wear a jacket and tie at their local club - but not on Oceania.

Brits certainly do have country clubs, The Hurlington Club, bordering the Thames in Fulham, is one; however, it's so very exclusive that "the waiting list for the Club is approximately ten years, at which time off peak membership is offered allowing access to the Club for all but the weekends in May to July. In approximately another ten years full voting membership is then offered." :eek:

Apparently you often call them "private members clubs," (U.S. country clubs are membership clubs, also) but then you also say "tomahto" while we (usually) say "tomayto". :)

Jan - I love Chicos but find that some of their fashions are a bit heavy to pack. Where did you find reversible skirts???? Sounds like a great idea. Regards, Marsha

Hi Marsha,

I take a lot of the Chicos travelers collection very light weight to pack..the reversible skirt comes from Rains Department Store in (a tiny one street town) Ojai, CA..they have a website and you can shop there..

Jancruz1

As Popeye said "I am what I am". I'm having a heck of a time trying to shop and thinking..well, I guess I'll have to make do with what I have. Which cruise are you on?

OP

I would not recommend the jean skirt for the dining room. I would suggest a long navy skirt,white or even red skirt to wear with your nautical top

Long black skirt with glitter tee...yes it could work but it would determine

what the glitter tee looked like regarding how low cut or revealing it is.

I'm having a hard time visualizing a shawl with that outfit..maybe a simple black one or one that picks up another color in the tee shirt.

And no you shouldnt care if you are going to be judged. Because if people are going to judge a book by its cover then you probably wouldnt want a relationship with them of any guide

However, you should care that you respect the dress codes that have been set forth by Oceania.

Everyone

I have found over the years that many people on these boards expect that they have to spend alot of money on their outfits. It simply is not the case.

Just go into the stores that have been mentioned above or looks at their websites ...Chicos, Coldwater Creek, Lands End, Ann Taylor, Talbots.

They all phenomenal sales or

You can get quite a bit of inspiration to then go to Target, Kohls, Marshalls, TJMaxx, Ross dress for Less and put together the most amazing outfits for a fraction of the cost.

You can get quite a bit of inspiration to then go to Target, Kohls, Marshalls, TJMaxx, Ross dress for Less and put together the most amazing outfits for a fraction of the cost.

I just discovered Ross last winter in Florida. Great stuff, amazing values.

Archived