New Master Chefs Dinner Announced

pms4104

The always available menu should still be available (was for the chef's dinner) for those not enthused by this menu.

I, on e other hand, think this me u beats any others I've seen in a good while. Excited to try these dishes in August.

Just curious.....has anyone who has sailed recently where this menu was offered noticed if the always available menu is offered that night? My husband and I would surely try different things on it but we travel with a fairly picky eater who wouldn't find one thing on there to eat. :rolleyes:

I'm hopeful he can still get his preferred steak and potatoes so we can enjoy sampling this new change.

Even tho we have only done one HAL cruise, I"ll be delighted not to see the poor servers doing their dance routines. That was a tad over the top we thought and I felt sorry for them with all they had to do.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

There appears to be some interesting choices on this new menu.

Hopefully, this is an improvement over the Master Chef's Dinner. BTW, I always enjoyed Baked Alaska on parade, however, they can skip the glow sticks.

Don't know how much to believe in the story, since they present the classic Australian dessert as: "Kiwi and Passion Fruit Pavlova, a traditional meringue-based Russian dessert." :)

Dakrewser - you are in danger of re-ignighting the Pavlova Wars - the credit for creating this confection is hotly contested across the Tasman Sea - aka The Ditch.

Colleen

Just curious.....has anyone who has sailed recently where this menu was offered noticed if the always available menu is offered that night?

It wasn't when I attended. Neither was the "always" available menu available when the Master Chef's Dinner was the presentation the last night.

So much for "always".

It wasn't when I attended. Neither was the "always" available menu available when the Master Chef's Dinner was the presentation the last night.

So much for "always".

Thanks Ruth.....I was rather afraid of this. Since we live in different parts of the country cruises are our favorite way of being together with our oldest friends. I'd hate not to eat together on the last night!

Cheers, Penny

[b]Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again[/b]

Don't know how much to believe in the story, since they present the classic Australian dessert as: "Kiwi and Passion Fruit Pavlova, a traditional meringue-based Russian dessert." :)

Pavlova may be originally Russian based but it seems to have become popular in other countries (like South Africa). Adding Kiwi fruit would make it more of a New Zealand dessert even though the fruit is native to China and Italy is the biggest producer. :D

It's an international dessert!

While there is a couple of appetizers I would choose, I honestly cannot see one thing DH would order :( Nor anything that thrills me either. Looks like when ever this is will still be Pinnacle night for us.

There was a rather funky meal on the last night of our Veendam cruise...similar or the same as this...and we were very happy we'd made Pinnacle reservations that night! Although some of the things sound interesting...are these assorted menus that will be rotated? Or will all be offered on the last night?

I am having a hard time selecting just two appetizers and just two main courses! :D

I, too, will have a hard time limiting myself to just a couple of things. There is so much on here that I would like to try. I'll just have to get my tablemates (friends and relatives) to order something different than I am ordering and we can share.

Isn't it amazing how tastes are so different - some of us are liking lots and some of us can't find much to like on the menus.

I've been dieting for the last number of months to get back to a healthy weight, but think I'd probably just order the Vietnamese Rolls and a bottle of wine to make it easier on our waiter. LOL :p

I'm sure I'm going to be in the minority, but I will miss the Baked Alaska parade - it always signified the end of a cruise for me. Maybe DH will parade a plate of chocolate-chip cookies from room service around our cabin on the last night and I can wave a napkin while he does. Anyone want to join me?:D

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

The always available menu should still be available (was for the chef's dinner) for those not enthused by this menu.

I, on e other hand, think this me u beats any others I've seen in a good while. Excited to try these dishes in August.

When HAL first started the Master Chef's dinner back in 2006 -- the original menu was very limited and there was not alternative menu on that night.

Even if the always available menu isn't handed out/listed, it is indeed always available.

This could vary by ship -- just like so many things on HAL ships.

Some may let you order something different and some ships may tell you that you can only order from those 4 venues.

This could vary by ship -- just like so many things on HAL ships.

Some may let you order something different and some ships may tell you that you can only order from those 4 venues.

Interesting - On other boards I have read complaints that the product is not always the same from ship to ship.

Colleen

Dakrewser - you are in danger of re-ignighting the Pavlova Wars - the credit for creating this confection is hotly contested across the Tasman Sea - aka The Ditch.

Colleen

Well, they do say its a Kiwi Pavlova :)

On the three HAl ships we have sailed we were not able to order from the always available on this night.

We had the new menu on Zaandam last month. It seemed to offer everything from the old Master Chef's Dinner with a few new options.

We asked again like on previous ships and were told we could not order from the always available.

We recently had this menu on the Maasdam and it was good. I thought we had to order the whole of one menu but our waiter explained that we could pick and choose. And we did have the baked alaska parade but it was not over the top. And the waiters did sing a song at the end too. All in all we found it fine and not uncomfortable.

We are on the Amstetdam 14 day cruise and our last night we are in Victoria from Noon until almost Midnight. So I can't see them having the Interntional menu on that night. Our final formal night is the evening before we get into Victoria.

So when will this menu be offered on this cruise? Anyone know? We want to book the Pinnacle for that night.

We just got back from the Amsterdam 14 day cruise, and the last formal night was Day 13. The international menu was offered on Day 12 and we found the food enjoyable, but it was hard to make a selection because of personal preferences. The only menu presented to us that night was the international menu, and we did not inquire about the standard steak, fish, chicken, onion soup, etc menu.

Val

On our past four HAL sailings (Westerdam, Eurodam x 2, Zuiderdam) my wife has requested the "always available" salmon during the Master Chef's night (even though it wasn't listed). Not once was she told it wasn't possible.

Interesting others have asked and been turned down on this. Inconsistency is a poor trait.

Archived