Hammock on LOS 1400 balcony

Not sure where you'd attach it!

We had 2 loungers on our #1700 cabin in April. I don't know either where you could attach it. It is all steel in the 'corner area', so it is enclosed on the top and sides. We didn't get to use the loungers though, due to the yucky weather.....

And since they are so strict about loungers on an aft balcony, the hammock may not pass their inspection of what is allowed.:rolleyes:

For insurance and safety reasons it's really doubtful that RCCL will allow you to attach a hammock to the balcony.

You really need to check with RCCL directly as if you take it upon yourself to just set it up you could be placing your entire cruise in jeopardy . RCCL reserves the right to disembark passengers with no refund at any port for non compliance of regulations. Would hate to see your entire cruise ruined by wanting to attach a Hammock to the Balcony.

What I meant by odd is why they allow chairs on the balconies, but not loungers. The aft balconies are large and can accommodate the loungers, so why do they no longer allow them? Sorry, but it is not odd to want to relax on the balcony, there was no need to get nasty. Thank you to everyone else that replied with legit responses.

For insurance and safety reasons it's really doubtful that RCCL will allow you to attach a hammock to the balcony.

You really need to check with RCCL directly as if you take it upon yourself to just set it up you could be placing your entire cruise in jeopardy . RCCL reserves the right to disembark passengers with no refund at any port for non compliance of regulations. Would hate to see your entire cruise ruined by wanting to attach a Hammock to the Balcony.

I don't think the OP was suggesting that the balcony would be hung over the side. I also can't imagine a passenger being disembarked for having a hammock. They might tell him to take it down, but throw him off? Why?

I was asking because in other pictures I had seen others put the hammock up on the large aft balconies. I also will be in a aft cabin and would place (if allowed) no where near the rail. I also called RC regarding the no lounger polic on LOS and she was not aware of it. So I will just wait and see and bring the hammock just incase.

That's my video and we have hung the hammock several times on 3 different ships aft (there is nothing with which to hang it on side balconies either port or starboard). There are plenty of strong steel slots and structure to support several hundred pounds on the aft balconies. They are part of the superstructure. And we have left the hammock up during the cruise and never been told to take it down. We got the idea from a couple above us on Voyager one year. More people do this than you think. Until they tell us to take it down, we will continue to hang it. Take yours OP and you will find the structure to hang it on, but be sure to take nylon rope or we use the velcro hangers by Husky rated to 300 lbs...they work great.

I don't think the OP was suggesting that the balcony would be hung over the side. I also can't imagine a passenger being disembarked for having a hammock. They might tell him to take it down, but throw him off? Why?

Never said anything about the hammack being hung over the side of the balcony. Re-read my post.

FWIW, I've seen announcements about not hanging things on the balcony. (usually directed towards clothes) My guess is the hammock would be frowned upon. You can bring it though, I'd assume they'll ask you to take it down if it's an issue. You may want to review this though.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Safety&faqId=3604&faqSubjectId=466&faqType=faq

Don't forget to read the conduct policy...the link is there.

We successfully hung a hammock on a Jewel aft balcony on our recent TA (not as big as the corner aft, and I don't know for certain that the structure is the same). We attached it diagonally from the divider attachment (very solid, welded to the wall) to the edge of the balcony (between the glass and the divider connection).

I hadn't even considered it might not be allowed, because I had read about bringing a hammock on this site. I know, just because someone else did it, doesn't mean it's ok. I don't remember reading that it was controversial.

So, I took a chance and packed the hammock, and it stayed in place on our balcony without comment or incident for 12 days. Because of the hammock, I am now officially hooked on aft balconies, and will carry my trusty hammock with us on our next TA with an aft balcony.

Happy sailing!

173606_1398751823_973787495_n.jpg

Thank you Goes Cruising! This is our first cruise and I now believe I will be spoiled by aft balconies. I didn't think it would be controversial either, but I have gotten a lot of interesting replies. I don't think some realize how large the aft balconies can be, but I appreciate their concern. I

Thank you Goes Cruising! This is our first cruise and I now believe I will be spoiled by aft balconies. I didn't think it would be controversial either, but I have gotten a lot of interesting replies. I don't think some realize how large the aft balconies can be, but I appreciate their concern. I

I wasn't hooked on balconies in general, because I've had bad experiences with smoke out on the balcony and thought I wasted my money. I took a chance on the aft, and even though we had smokers around us, I never felt like I was eating the smoke.

I think it's now aft or inside for me. If I find an aft, I will spend the money!

If you don't have a hammock yet, REI sold several models that were all very lightweight and packable!

What do you mean they no longer allow loungers on balconies?! Since when? I purposefully ordered the aft balocony on my EOS cruise that leaves this sat for the loungers that I had on the radiance last april that I loved! I would have taken a bump-out instead since it is closer to the elevator! Hmmm.

We have an aft (1400) on IOS coming up. My son has a cotton hammock, and we were planning on bringing it and attaching it with the 300 lb. velcro. The hammock packs down very small, and if they ask us to remove it, so be it.

Give it a try and if it works, it works. I doubt your room steward will care or tattle!

What do you mean they no longer allow loungers on balconies?! Since when? I purposefully ordered the aft balocony on my EOS cruise that leaves this sat for the loungers that I had on the radiance last april that I loved! I would have taken a bump-out instead since it is closer to the elevator! Hmmm.

Thats not true...........there are still loungers on the balconies..

I am surprised they allow hammocks though.......they dont want anything that can catch on fire in case of reckless smokers from above...........couldnt a hammock catch on fire??

Here is another pic of our hammock...we bought it right in Majahaul at Costa Maya:

2ni8gwn.jpg

I have posted this many times since 2010 when we first used it and have taken it on 3 cruises since then, never a word about taking it down or fire hazard or anything else. We will continue to use it on the aft until the stewards say otherwise. Ours is net not a solid fabric. I would suggest the net or woven ones over the solid ones. Even if you took it down each night it would be worth it. As you can see, my DH loves it!:p

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Safety&faqId=3604&faqSubjectId=466&faqType=faq

quote]

What does that have to to do with things left on balconies? It is about the safety of not climbing or sitting on the balcony railings...???

Archived