Getting Euros in US

rimau

I too say don't bother. I did that once and it was a waste of money and time. Much easier and cheaper to just stop at the ATM after clearing immigration/customs at the airport. Just alert your bank ahead of time that you will be using your card abroad.

Once I landed in a European airport where only one ATM was working, and this ATM had a long line of backpackers. Add to this the jetlag...

We order local currency enough for one day from our bank. Yes, we lose money on exchange rate, but for $50-$100 we think it's negligeable (sorry if misspelled) - so we don't have to worry about paying for taxi or shuttle, getting an ice-cream or coffee, etc...

After that, ATMs.

I always get some local currency from my bank before a trip outside the US. i get some smaller demoninations for taixs small purchases.

Then I use the ATM machine only once or twice and take out the max for the day.

If you would want to have some spare Euros in the pocket, AAA has what they call a tip pack. just enough small denominations to pick up a bus, taxi or give a tip. I havent purchased one yet but will just to have some small change.

Archived