Should I apply for the Royal Caribbean Visa

We applied while on Allure last month both my husband and I. Don't know if it's the same promo, but with our first purchases we each received 10,000 points which equals $100 on board credit each. So we already are ahead for our cruise next year.

I guess it depends on whether you will find yourself using it often. We use our cards for just about everything just to accrue points.

Hope that helps.

We got one and used it to get the bonus points for our cruise a few months ago. I bought a drink at Panera's, and got a $100 obc. Worked great for us!!

I've also done this with a Spirit Airlines credit card a year ago, and we are now working on bonus points for roundtrip air to Costa Rica next year.

This might help with your decision:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/travel-free-credit-card-churners-143051851.html

It all depends on your view on your finances. If you're credit is good and you don't mind another credit check occuring, then it probably would be good to consider. Do you plan on using this card exclusively or do you already have another card you use to get points/miles? If you are only getting this card to get the points and then cancel, I would suggest to wait a year or so before you cancel.

Just my 2 cents.

Erika

It all depends on your view on your finances. If you're credit is good and you don't mind another credit check occuring, then it probably would be good to consider. Do you plan on using this card exclusively or do you already have another card you use to get points/miles? If you are only getting this card to get the points and then cancel, I would suggest to wait a year or so before you cancel.

Just my 2 cents.

Erika

That's exactly what the article says (see link above). I put a calendar reminder for myself to cancel the card just before the anniversary the next year. Spirit gave us a no annual fee card to stay, so we did, but we don't use it. Southwest Visa is our every day card, and we use it for free airfare. But, when we need international air, or the RCCL obc, then we will temporarily use another card. We have been on a "charge-and-pay" budget with our credit cards for decades, so it's just a matter of which card to use for the regular expenses.

Besides the initial 10,000 points with first purchase (= $100 onboard credit), I believe you get 2 points for every $1 purchase that is Royal Caribbean related and 1 point for any other purchases. You can check out all the benefits from the very bottom, right-hand corner of the RC website main page, "Earn Royal Points". Hubby and I both signed up on our last cruise and will have at least $200 onboard credits (maybe more) for cruise next spring. That's a win-win for us !!! :)

I signed up when the bonus was 15,000 points - IIRC didn't they run 20,000 bonus points at one time?

The Costco AmEx is still a better program IMO, but I do use the RCI primarily when I use Visa.

It's been worth it for us! We've gotten $300 in OBC just for signing up (DH and I both received 15,000 bonus points), but we use one card for our daily purchases. We've received a free cruise for 2 on Allure, are using 2 free cruises for 2 on our upcoming Monarch cruise, and, we've cashed in points for additional OBC. We pay off our card most months, so our benefits are almost completely "free." The value of our credit card is over $4500 in the 5 years we've had it - not bad!

To expand on what the OP asked about advantages... so you can accrue points for what ends up being a free cruise... are there "blackout" dates? Have any of you had a problem redeeming your points for the date of your choice?

I ask because I'm a teacher, so I can only sail during the premium travel months.

Just thinking if it would be advantageous for me to apply. Have any of you? Do you see any advantages in doing so?

Here's my take. I have had this card since 2004. Last year, I got an AMEX card and am now kicking myself for not doing it sooner. In just one year's time, I've had a week's worth of free hotel nights and have already flown free once. If all you ever do is cruise RCI and you don't have to use any form of commercial travel to get there or stay in hotels, the Visa may work best for you. My other card has been soooooo much better and it can still be used toward the cost of the cruise. I still have the Visa for the places that don't take AMEX, but I rarely use it.

Besides AMEX, there are other cards, maybe Chase, that offer great travel rewards. With this Visa, you are limiting your savings to only RCI.

We signed up for this card while on Freedom two years ago, got 15,000 points initially and use it pretty extensively for our monthly expenses. We also always have points available for OBC whenever we cruise. Not sure if I'll ever accumulate enough points for a free cruise, but between the OBC available to us for our Valentine Cruise coming up and using our Bluegreen points to pay for most of the cruise fare, we'll be taking a one week cruise for about $300 total. I definitely think it's worth it if you pay it off every month.

To expand on what the OP asked about advantages... so you can accrue points for what ends up being a free cruise... are there "blackout" dates? Have any of you had a problem redeeming your points for the date of your choice?

I ask because I'm a teacher, so I can only sail during the premium travel months.

There are no blackout dates (well, maybe Christmas and New Year's), but there is a maximum value (it's $2500 for a free 7 night Caribbean cruise for two). As long as the cabin is available and you have the points, the redemption is very easy and flexible.

For our everyday purchases we use my husband's Chase United card. Always get the bonus miles for going over their $25K annual usage. Have gotten many free trips - last one to Rome this May which saved us $2500!

I do use my Visa RCCL card when DH isn't around and for all of our RCCL purchases so we get the double points. It's not the best point card - but if you cruise at least once in blue moon on RCCL it is worth it.

I don't use my AMEX as much since they dropped Continental/United from their reward mix. I use all my credit card points for travel. Best bang for your buck.

If your credit rating can take it - it is great even just for the initial bonus to get OBC. Free money is free money and the card has no fee.

Thanks all - I just got approved and should be receiving my card shortly. The balance on my cruise will be paid with the new card. Is that when I get the 10,000 points? Initially I was going to use AMEX, but this card seems like a better option.

Thanks so much :)

Thanks all - I just got approved and should be receiving my card shortly. The balance on my cruise will be paid with the new card. Is that when I get the 10,000 points? Initially I was going to use AMEX, but this card seems like a better option.

Thanks so much :)

Just a tip--to avoid a hit to your credit, do NOT cancel the card. Just let it go and not use it. Cancelling credit cards puts a hit on your FICO score.

Only if you can pay the balance off each month. Otherwise the interest payments will quash any rewards you might get.

Yes, we always pay off balances when due. Our final payment for the upcoming cruise is due 8/14/12.

Just a tip--to avoid a hit to your credit, do NOT cancel the card. Just let it go and not use it. Cancelling credit cards puts a hit on your FICO score.

My credit score is excellent. Recently though we had a credit card cancelled because of inactivity.

My credit score is excellent. Recently though we had a credit card cancelled because of inactivity.

That's great! If you let a card cancel on its own due to inactivity, it won't affect your score like it will if you call the bank up and cancel it yourself.

We use ours for everything! Anything we can pay online that we have to pay every month goes on the card. (car insurance, monthly utilities, etc) everything adds up. We pay it off each just like we would if writing a check for these items. SO far on our December cruise we will have $650 OBC at least...we still have several months to go!

Just thinking if it would be advantageous for me to apply. Have any of you? Do you see any advantages in doing so?

Thanks.

For us totally worth it. We cruise only with Royal and have save many $$ on companion fares, $$ off the cruise, or OBC due to the Credit Card. Perfect for us since we cruise so many time a year. We charge everything, pay it off at the end of the month, and enjoy the benefits. I redeemed 75k points for Oasis in May for a companion fare and got a value of $1149 (price of the cabin we had) so it was so worth it.

Archived