Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

I just finished a new outfit for our upcoming trips next year.  I found this blouse on ebay:

1021179741_Turquoiseandbrownchiffonblouse.thumb.jpg.a23beefc73e1570a03f6f103bee504be.jpg

It's really gorgeous with the dark brown embroidery.  However, it was too snug in the hips.  I will add an inverted pleat or "upside down V" insert in blouses that need some extra room in the hip area.  I added a dark brown extension in the back, and it looked very nice.  However, I wanted it to be dressier for formal nights.

So, I went hunting and found this jacket, which I knew was going to be the tackiest thing on the planet!

1166385528_Tackybrownjacketbefore.jpg.67a4dd65068974ab585cf2f49255d0b9.jpg

It was worse than I thought.  Those are 1-inch leopard print discs sewn to a chiffon leopard skin backing.  Sooooooo ugly!  I clinked when I walked!  So, those all got cut off, and I hemmed the sleeves and jacket bottom. 

The result was exactly what I wanted:  the embroidery on the blouse sleeves hung perfectly outside the jacket sleeves, and the length was shorter than the top to show off the front embroidery.  The back length is longer, so the jacket was trendy looking, too.  With dark brown pants and dark taupe sandals, it's a great dressy outfit.

1701935947_Aquablouseandbrownchiffonjacket.JPG.6541db7d841d76e0a87cb97806e426a8.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 7:43 AM, pcur said:

I just finished a new outfit for our upcoming trips next year.  I found this blouse on ebay:

1021179741_Turquoiseandbrownchiffonblouse.thumb.jpg.a23beefc73e1570a03f6f103bee504be.jpg

It's really gorgeous with the dark brown embroidery.  However, it was too snug in the hips.  I will add an inverted pleat or "upside down V" insert in blouses that need some extra room in the hip area.  I added a dark brown extension in the back, and it looked very nice.  However, I wanted it to be dressier for formal nights.

So, I went hunting and found this jacket, which I knew was going to be the tackiest thing on the planet!

1166385528_Tackybrownjacketbefore.jpg.67a4dd65068974ab585cf2f49255d0b9.jpg

It was worse than I thought.  Those are 1-inch leopard print discs sewn to a chiffon leopard skin backing.  Sooooooo ugly!  I clinked when I walked!  So, those all got cut off, and I hemmed the sleeves and jacket bottom. 

The result was exactly what I wanted:  the embroidery on the blouse sleeves hung perfectly outside the jacket sleeves, and the length was shorter than the top to show off the front embroidery.  The back length is longer, so the jacket was trendy looking, too.  With dark brown pants and dark taupe sandals, it's a great dressy outfit.

1701935947_Aquablouseandbrownchiffonjacket.JPG.6541db7d841d76e0a87cb97806e426a8.JPG

What a great job.  I love what you did.  It makes such a nice outfit.

Peggy, I love what you did to the jacket!  It's so chic now.  :)

I am making progress, finally, on the swimwear.  Regatta season is over and I had the whole weekend to work on the project.  The walking foot on my sewing machine is a game changer.  Swim fabric and liners are so slippery, and the walking foot is helping a bunch.  I am through with the elastic and gathering portion of the bikini tops...thank GOD!  My seam ripper got a lot of use there.  I am hoping by Sunday to have all 4 bikinis completed and to start on the swim tops/rash guards.  We leave on December 7th, so I must get to it.

Lisa

On 11/12/2018 at 7:04 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

Peggy, I love what you did to the jacket!  It's so chic now.  🙂

I am making progress, finally, on the swimwear.  Regatta season is over and I had the whole weekend to work on the project.  The walking foot on my sewing machine is a game changer.  Swim fabric and liners are so slippery, and the walking foot is helping a bunch.  I am through with the elastic and gathering portion of the bikini tops...thank GOD!  My seam ripper got a lot of use there.  I am hoping by Sunday to have all 4 bikinis completed and to start on the swim tops/rash guards.  We leave on December 7th, so I must get to it.

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa!

You are one brave seamstress!  My major sewing project was recovering this.  The upholstery was almost 100 years old, and it was falling off; the rocker could not be used:

1271232414_Childsantiquerocker.JPG.36c8c35cc57ca64082d6ff3623b23095.JPG

Scared the bejeesus out of me to do it, too.  It's a 150 year old child's rocking chair that my grandchildren will be the 5th or 6th generation to use.  It's as sturdy as the day it was made:  I had my son, a woodworker, check it out.  I walked around this project in my head for about 2 weeks figuring out how I would do it, and working up the nerve to start.  

The top and seat both have 1" foam squares covered by the fabric.  I made the fabric loop around to the underside on the seat, and then sewed sturdy velcro on the over lap.  The top was really hard. Those are sewn-in taupe braided trim between the spindles, and they attach by velcro to a strip on the back.  Then, there is a piece that goes all the way across where the tabs attach in the back, to hide them.  That piece is the same as the upholstery fabric.  I wanted future generation Moms' to be able to take it apart and wash it.  I pre-washed it.

Much teeth knashing, grumbling, a little swearing, talking to my Grandma in my head (she might have been the first generation to use it), but I finally finished it.  I want it to last.

My 2.75 year old grandaughter can't use it yet.  She's a "preemie" and a little adorable pipsqueak.  When she rocks in this chair she goes at it so hard, she catapults herself out of it!!!  So, it's going into temporary storage in her closet until she, or her Viking-sized 10 month old baby brother, can use it.  

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

Peggy that chair looks great! 

I also have a small child's rocker that has been in my family for several generations.  I think my grandmother used it (she was born in '21) - it has the same fabric that my Great Grandparents had on their dining room chairs.  I know my mom used it as a child, and my sister and I definitely did.  My children rocked in it as littles and now it is used for my friend's toddler when he comes to visit.

The wood is still in great shape, although it could be re-stained or painted but the seat needs work.  I've tried cleaning it, but the fabric is getting pretty thin after all these years.

45 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

Peggy that chair looks great! 

I also have a small child's rocker that has been in my family for several generations.  I think my grandmother used it (she was born in '21) - it has the same fabric that my Great Grandparents had on their dining room chairs.  I know my mom used it as a child, and my sister and I definitely did.  My children rocked in it as littles and now it is used for my friend's toddler when he comes to visit.

The wood is still in great shape, although it could be re-stained or painted but the seat needs work.  I've tried cleaning it, but the fabric is getting pretty thin after all these years.

Sounds very much like mine.  My Grandfather covered it in 1919 with mohair fabric from their living room furniture!

I strongly urge you to recover it, as it won't last much longer from what you describe.  Because the fabric my GF used, and he used upholstery tacks, I had to come up with something more "wood-friendly".  Therefore, the velcro attachments.  I want this chair to go another 6 generations!!

• Thanks 1

Lisa,

What a doll your helper is.  So sweet.  I don't have any pets, but I do love them.  The closest thing that we have is the beautiful red fox that walks by our house all most every day.  Of course, he is wild and we stay away.  On Sunday I had to drive very slow because he/she was walking next to my car for about 40 feet.  Then it kept crossing the street and finally it decided to walk in front of my car, for a while until it got to the house three away from mine.

PCUR,

The rocker is beautiful.  You did a wonderful job on it.  It is wonderful that you have a family piece to hand down and to watch your grandchildren enjoy.

Well I am done with fixing my DH pants and shirts.  Five pairs of dress pants had to be hemmed.

The I had to shorten the sleeves on tow of his long sleeve shirts.  On of the shirts the collar band was to wide.  So, I had to take off the collar, cut the band and put the collar back on.  I really don't like doing alterations. 

I did get a pair of wide leg dressy black pants done for me.  Now I am onto a floral print wide leg pants for me. https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7131  The best view to see what I am making is  the ones on the bottom of the page.  This is a great pattern.  No zipper and has pockets.  Fit real nice.  I have made them before..

picture from McCall's pattern co.

M7131_07.jpg?itok=QbHQzoJs

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

geocruiser, thanks for sharing the McCall's pattern.  Funny, I was thinking yesterday that I should make a wide pant, but was able to find a full length long skirt at my local thrift store to suit the same purpose.  Just off a cruise and another one on Cunard in 4 weeks has me feeling a little too short of time to sew clothes as well as organize early Christmas during a full time work schedule.

I have to commend your commitment to alterations. I see them as labours of love only.  I am sure hubby appreciates clothes that fit, however. 

1 hour ago, geocruiser said:

Lisa,

What a doll your helper is.  So sweet.  I don't have any pets, but I do love them.  The closest thing that we have is the beautiful red fox that walks by our house all most every day.  Of course, he is wild and we stay away.  On Sunday I had to drive very slow because he/she was walking next to my car for about 40 feet.  Then it kept crossing the street and finally it decided to walk in front of my car, for a while until it got to the house three away from mine.

PCUR,

The rocker is beautiful.  You did a wonderful job on it.  It is wonderful that you have a family piece to hand down and to watch your grandchildren enjoy.

Well I am done with fixing my DH pants and shirts.  Five pairs of dress pants had to be hemmed.

The I had to shorten the sleeves on tow of his long sleeve shirts.  On of the shirts the collar band was to wide.  So, I had to take off the collar, cut the band and put the collar back on.  I really don't like doing alterations. 

I did get a pair of wide leg dressy black pants done for me.  Now I am onto a floral print wide leg pants for me. https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7131  The best view to see what I am making is  the ones on the bottom of the page.  This is a great pattern.  No zipper and has pockets.  Fit real nice.  I have made them before..

picture from McCall's pattern co.

M7131_07.jpg?itok=QbHQzoJs

Thank you!  It was the first, and probably only, time I've tried upholstery.  Too stressful!

I groaned when I read the alterations you had to do on your husband's shirts:  collars and cuffs are such TIGHT, SMALL spaces to work in.  You are a better woman than I.  I would have probably done the collar, but talked him into two short sleeved shirts.  Hahahahahahahaha

12 minutes ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Geocruiser, I love the pant pattern! 

Well swimwear ear is definitely a challenge with the different fabric types.  I finished one top this morning.  The bottom does not fit right, so I am making some adjustments.

BB0A4093-53E4-42B8-8A7C-B34B8D5D5D75.jpeg

193C6A77-5581-441C-AACB-C0D73B397BEB.jpeg

Looks good.  I was also checking out your blog.  It notes you are 5'11"....now I understand the desire to sew your swimwear...

6 hours ago, RedHeadTexan said:

Geocruiser, I love the pant pattern! 

Well swimwear ear is definitely a challenge with the different fabric types.  I finished one top this morning.  The bottom does not fit right, so I am making some adjustments.

BB0A4093-53E4-42B8-8A7C-B34B8D5D5D75.jpeg

193C6A77-5581-441C-AACB-C0D73B397BEB.jpeg

WOW!  what a great job.  I love the fit and the color.

21 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Looks good.  I was also checking out your blog.  It notes you are 5'11"....now I understand the desire to sew your swimwear...

At 5'11" and long torso makes buying ready to wear swimwear rather difficult.  Even bikini tops don't fit exactly right if the straps are not adjustable.  On the bikini top pattern I had to add an inch to each strap.  I did that on the prototype since I knew the pattern length would not work.  Luckily, an inch was perfect.  I worked on the bottoms a little more yesterday and I think I got the fit where I want it.  I did decide to make the rest into swim skirts.  Since I have not sewed the waist band on yet, it's simply cutting the skirt pieces out and attaching.  Yay, nothing too complicated.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Joann is having Door Buster deals on apparel fabric in the morning.  60% off sale and there is a coupon for another 25% off the total purchase.  I am buying Super Performance Mesh that is normally $20/yard and with all the discounts will be $6/yard.  This stuff is awesome to add control panels in swimwear.  

Lisa

1 minute ago, RedHeadTexan said:

At 5'11" and long torso makes buying ready to wear swimwear rather difficult.  Even bikini tops don't fit exactly right if the straps are not adjustable.  On the bikini top pattern I had to add an inch to each strap.  I did that on the prototype since I knew the pattern length would not work.  Luckily, an inch was perfect.  I worked on the bottoms a little more yesterday and I think I got the fit where I want it.  I did decide to make the rest into swim skirts.  Since I have not sewed the waist band on yet, it's simply cutting the skirt pieces out and attaching.  Yay, nothing too complicated.

Tomorrow (Saturday) Joann is having Door Buster deals on apparel fabric in the morning.  60% off sale and there is a coupon for another 25% off the total purchase.  I am buying Super Performance Mesh that is normally $20/yard and with all the discounts will be $6/yard.  This stuff is awesome to add control panels in swimwear.  

Lisa

Even at 5'8" a long torso is challenging.  I have found one piece that work, but never a tankini....unless it is more like a swim dress with bottoms. I gave up on exposed midriff a number of years ago 😉

Sounds like your weekend is set for more shopping and sewing. Have fun.

19 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

This came out  wonderful.   I like the green sleeves on the shirt.  I brings out the green in the rest of the fabric.

I was really happy that I had some swim knit in a color that coordinated with the pattern.  It was a $3 1.5 yard remnant that I bought online.  I wasn't sure what I would use it for, but since I was ordering a bunch of solid swim knit remnants I decided to add this to the cart too.  I am very happy with the result, especially since this was my first time with this pattern.  I have tons of the floral, so I decided to just go for it and it fit perfectly.  :) 

Lisa

On 11/26/2018 at 6:39 AM, RedHeadTexan said:

I was really happy that I had some swim knit in a color that coordinated with the pattern.  It was a $3 1.5 yard remnant that I bought online.  I wasn't sure what I would use it for, but since I was ordering a bunch of solid swim knit remnants I decided to add this to the cart too.  I am very happy with the result, especially since this was my first time with this pattern.  I have tons of the floral, so I decided to just go for it and it fit perfectly.  🙂

Lisa

Don't you just love it when you get a great piece of fabric for such and bargain?  I will also but a bargain fabric that I like and put it away for another day.  It is nice to go fabric shopping in your own fabric box/closet!

• 3 months later...

Hello sewers,

Just checking in to see what sewing projects all of you have been doing.  Right now I am in the middle of a move, so no sewing now.  Once I am settled I will be back to sewing cruise clothing.

What have all of you been sewing?

This was from a few months back.  I bought a gorgeous blouse on ebay:

487334681_Aquablouseandbrownchiffonjacket.JPG.aaa00ed791b0da2690129e9579957422.JPG

The hips were a little snug, so I added a dark brown inverted "v" gusset in the back that looks really good.

Then, I wanted a jacket to dress it up.  The picture above shows the jacket, but...................It started out look like this picture:

648412327_Brownjackettackytrim.JPG.f952df5cd1957e1200aad1b1c774532b.JPG

Yes, those are large, plastic, LEOPARD PRINT bangles (NOISY bangles) on the sleeves and the bottom.  Hideous.  Cutting it all off ended up with the front blouse embroidery exactly fitting under the bottom of the jacket front, and sleeves.  The back is long, so it's got a high/low hemline.  I'm very pleased with the results, and have a new formal night outfit.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pcur said:

Yes, those are large, plastic, LEOPARD PRINT bangles (NOISY bangles) on the sleeves and the bottom.  Hideous.  Cutting it all off ended up with the front blouse embroidery exactly fitting under the bottom of the jacket front, and sleeves.  The back is long, so it's got a high/low hemline.  I'm very pleased with the results, and have a new formal night outfit.

Oh, DEAR!! Well you made it absolutely gorgeous.

Sadly, I have done no sewing for a month. I got distracted because my sister and I decided on the spur of the moment to book and go on our first cruise(s)! I had planned to make at least a swim cover up, but there was so much to figure out and do in the three weeks between booking and departure. I've been back for almost a week and am ready to hit the sewing queue again!