HAL phones provided for use onboard?

happypooh

Just wondering if HAL has phones in the cabins for us to use while we're onboard like they do on the Disney cruises (wave phones). They were very convenient when we last cruised and if not then I'll need to bring walkie talkies (or buy them in Rome since the US ones are illegal to use in Europe!) I'd prefer not to have to pay crazy prices to use my cell phone.

Every cabin has 'wired' phones and there are house phones throughout the ships for use by guests. There is a voicemail system for all cabin phones.

These phones are not wireless and are not portable around the ship. They are hard wired in the cabin.

Walkie Talkies do not work well on ships because of all the metal. They often make squawking noises where the users have to scream and keep repeating themselves.

Clearly, this can get annoying to those who have to listen. ;)

My husband & I find we don't need to know where each other might be & what we are doing every minute. We'll set up times to get together at a set location to check in & plan the next few hours if that's important.

We leave the electronics at home so we can relax on our vacation!

We are bringing our walkie talkies that my husband uses for fishing and hunting trips:

Using walkie talkies on onbard could interfere with bridge communications pulling in and out of port---also they could interfere with tender communications in a tender port---not a good idea.

BG

Using walkie talkies on onbard could interfere with bridge communications pulling in and out of port---also they could interfere with tender communications in a tender port---not a good idea.

BG

Do you have a reference for this statement? I've never seen any posted restrictions by the cruise lines on hand held radios. I agree with Sail that they can be intrusive, if used without earphones, or (as some often do with cellphones) shout into them.

Do you have a reference for this statement? I've never seen any posted restrictions by the cruise lines on hand held radios. I agree with Sail that they can be intrusive, if used without earphones, or (as some often do with cellphones) shout into them.

Depends on the specific frequencies they may use. You should ask the onboard HAL security people.

Bg

Depends on the specific frequencies they may use. You should ask the onboard HAL security people.

Bg

Then why would they be allowed at all? Makes no sense. If there was a possibility that a "specific frequency" could cause a problem, they would be forbidden. Period.

Bg

The portable radios used by ships crew are on commercial frequencies. The "walkie talkies" you can purchase for home use are on public shared frequencies (CB & FRS). They do not overlap. However, the CB & FRS frequencies are used for different purposes outside the US/Caribbean and may interfere with government services in Europe and Asia

Remember, anyone else with a walkie talkie can hear your conversations. Leaving a w. t. on could interrup a movie or show or a bingo game. I am starting to think they might be a nuisance if some people think they are for long unimportant conversations. (just like cell phones).

We just put stick ems on our door saying where we went. Just short notes.

Every cabin has 'wired' phones and there are house phones throughout the ships for use by guests. There is a voicemail system for all cabin phones.

These phones are not wireless and are not portable around the ship. They are hard wired in the cabin.

Walkie Talkies do not work well on ships because of all the metal. They often make squawking noises where the users have to scream and keep repeating themselves.

Agree they can be annoying when users scream into them however disagree with you about them working well on the ship & they do not squawk if they are set & used properly.

BG

Not True! Ships use completely different channels than Walkie Talkies do..

Completely agree with you..My DH is retired from the Communications Business & when we first began to cruise both on our own boat & on on commercial ships used good Walkie Talkies when out & about in Port..DH always was ahead of me with my Friends DH while we ladies were window shopping & many times we lost track of the men..If we were going into a shop that was when the Walkie Talkies came in handy..

However, rarely used them on board, as found no need as we would leave notes for each other on our mirror..

If we had to use them on board we tried to be careful not to disturb other psgrs as so many seem to do when on their cell phones..

Cheers...Betty

We use TriSquare two way radios and find they work very well aboard ship. No squawks and we can keep the volume low and our voice low so we don't disturb the passengers. We only use it when we are done with different activities and agree on a meeting place. One time my wife stayed on shore in Katakolon and she used it to keep me advised when she would be back on board. They do not work as well in the woods, lots of static, but metal, no problem.

We use 2-way radios to stay in touch. They work well everywhere but in an inside cabin. Used politely, they are less annoying than a conversation between two people, since a bystander is only hearing 50% as much conversation.

Actually, research shows that listening to only one side of a conversation is more distracting.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100921101344.htm

BG

You can't be serious. CB and FRS bands will not interfere with any of the commercial ship board maritime bands used by the crew. Smart people have thought this through already. The only thing they will interfere with is fellow passengers who might be annoyed by someone trying to use one.

Agree they can be annoying when users scream into them however disagree with you about them working well on the ship & they do not squawk if they are set & used properly.

Not True! Ships use completely different channels than Walkie Talkies do..

Completely agree with you..My DH is retired from the Communications Business & when we first began to cruise both on our own boat & on on commercial ships used good Walkie Talkies when out & about in Port..DH always was ahead of me with my Friends DH while we ladies were window shopping & many times we lost track of the men..If we were going into a shop that was when the Walkie Talkies came in handy..

However, rarely used them on board, as found no need as we would leave notes for each other on our mirror..

If we had to use them on board we tried to be careful not to disturb other psgrs as so many seem to do when on their cell phones..

Cheers...Betty

'

You need to google wlakie talkie interference--bands have something to do with it but frequency interference is caused by many things--US approved walkie talkie bands are illegal in other countries who may use these bands for emergency services---you need to check on this-- It is not an easy yes or no question. (I am a retired communications engineer with 40 years experience in design and development).

BG

Actually, research shows that listening to only one side of a conversation is more distracting.

I have suspected that for a while! Being on a train with two or more people having a conversation has always been less distracting that a cell phone conversation - even if at the same volume.

'

You need to google wlakie talkie interference--bands have something to do with it but frequency interference is caused by many things--US approved walkie talkie bands are illegal in other countries who may use these bands for emergency services---you need to check on this-- It is not an easy yes or no question. (I am a retired communications engineer with 40 years experience in design and development).

BG

I did as you suggested and the the first entry that came up was

http://acsspirit.com/motorolabusinesstwoway/facts.htm

which brings up a page about Motorola -- a major name in communications for a long time.

Going down to the area on interference you will find the following statement:

Business Two-Way Radio Frequencies

Motorola professional two-way radios use frequencies reserved exclusively for business users. There is no interference or channel congestion from FRS “family” radios. Frequencies of XTN and CLS Series are user selectable. AX Series requires programming by the dealer.

'

BG

First of all your original post stated:

quote: Originally Posted by big green viewpost.gif

BG

And I said that is not true & stand by my answer..

Commercial ships channels are completely different channels & Walkie Talkies will not interfere when going into port or even at tender ports..When we used them I checked this out on-board both HAL & NCL..

We did a great deal of OFF shore sailing & used our Radio's on the Marine frequency's extensively.. Walkie Talkies never interfered with our Boat Channels which we used when calling other boats in our club, Marina's & the Coast Guard..

You never even mentioned that in many European & Asian Country's they are illegal..I only know this because when I worked for a European Airline I was told this..Therefore while traveling in Europe we never used our Walkie Talkies..

Cheers...Betty

Remember, anyone else with a walkie talkie can hear your conversations. Leaving a w. t. on could interrup a movie or show or a bingo game. I am starting to think they might be a nuisance if some people think they are for long unimportant conversations. (just like cell phones).

The best example I have was a gentleman standing outside the MDR reading the dinner menu to someone on the other end.

And just think, you can even use those cabin phones to call all your friends at home for only $12.95 (or something close) per minute :)

Hank

And it is a bargain, because they don't add a 15% gratuity ---- YET!

Archived