Amy Fickert...Oasis of the Seas..best CD ever

A bad Cruise Director can break the Quest or Love & Marriage shows. I'm set to sail on 9/22 Oasis. Hope Amy Fickert's not the CD on that sailing based on everything I'm hearing about her. :eek: Well maybe if I have enough to drink, I won't know that she's there. I don't like that over-the-top cheerleader crap either...too old for that nonsense! My favorite CD was actually on the smaller ship, Monarch; love me some Marc "Bing Bong" Walker. He keeps 3-4 day cruises going!:D

From the Current CD thread:

Oasis OTS - Amy Fickert *started 6/9 until 10/6 then Ricky Matthews

My husband and I didn't feel she was all that bad and actually liked her. I had prepared for her being bad after reading all of the comments prior to our cruise, but we didn't find her annoying at all. We both felt she had a lot of energy and could be found everywhere and was very visible compared to CD's on the last 2 ships we were on (Princess).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and preferences. We never watched the morning shows, we we're up and about working out or getting ready to go ashore, if I wanted to watch tv, I would have stayed home. .

Wow, that comes off as a bitter retort just because they disagreed with you. The morning show is a good thing to have on when you're up getting ready to leave the room or ship for the day and can be full of good information.

Never had Amy as a Cruise Director, but glad you liked her Mr. Fickert.

• 1 month later...

Just got off the Oasis on Saturday, 9/29. I got on the ship expecting to not like Amy Fickert at all, after reading some of the reviews of her on Cruise Critic.:confused: It turned out that she wasn't half bad after all....not terrific, but definitely tolerable. I have to give it to her, she's in really good shape; she led our early morning Zumba workouts a few times during the sailing. Guess it makes sense, since she is a former cheerleading instructor! Amy also did a fairly good job conducting the Love & Marriage game show, as well as Quest. Also, I'm proud to say that I only heard her say, "Hi, I'm Amy, and you're AWESOME", maybe one or two times during the whole cruise! LOL :D

Bottom line is that on the Oasis, there's entirely TOO much going on and TOO much fun to be had on that ship, to be concerned about the CD. I will say however, that nobody beats Marc "BingBong" Walker on the Monarch of the Seas....he's absolutely INSANELY funny and personable!;)

We were sick of her from day 1. We just found her annoying and not at all funny. She came across as fake and her voice was grating. I preferred the assistant cruise director but I can't remember his name.

Patricio! My boyfriend preferred him as well but I really liked Amy. Must have been those low expectations due to comments on this board.

Interesting how different people see things so differently. For me, even having the discussion about "best cruise director ever", is kind of like having a debate about which ship has the best paper towels. I might encounter them may times on a trip, but I can't possibly make myself care. And to think that they would in any way affect my overall vacation experience is inconceivable.

Just got off the Oasis on Saturday, 9/29. I got on the ship expecting to not like Amy Fickert at all, after reading some of the reviews of her on Cruise Critic.:confused: It turned out that she wasn't half bad after all....not terrific, but definitely tolerable. I have to give it to her, she's in really good shape; she led our early morning Zumba workouts a few times during the sailing. Guess it makes sense, since she is a former cheerleading instructor! Amy also did a fairly good job conducting the Love & Marriage game show, as well as Quest. Also, I'm proud to say that I only heard her say, "Hi, I'm Amy, and you're AWESOME", maybe one or two times during the whole cruise! LOL :D

Bottom line is that on the Oasis, there's entirely TOO much going on and TOO much fun to be had on that ship, to be concerned about the CD. I will say however, that nobody beats Marc "BingBong" Walker on the Monarch of the Seas....he's absolutely INSANELY funny and personable!;)

I agree. I just got off the Oasis today and went in expecting someone annoying but she wasn't at all. She was friendly and always greeted people as she walked around.

She's officially on vacation now and I believed Ricky is taking over.

Seemed like most attention went to the activities manager Patricio who co-host the morning news show with her.

I agree. I just got off the Oasis today and went in expecting someone annoying but she wasn't at all. She was friendly and always greeted people as she walked around.

She's officially on vacation now and I believed Ricky is taking over.

Seemed like most attention went to the activities manager Patricio who co-host the morning news show with her.

Good news! Glad to hear Ricky is getting another shot on Oasis. My entire group in May (with typically very divergent opinions) agreed that he was simply fantastic.

Good news! Glad to hear Ricky is getting another shot on Oasis. My entire group in May (with typically very divergent opinions) agreed that he was simply fantastic.

Hi Dave. I figured you'd chime in when you saw Fichert's name. The more I got to experience Ricky the more I liked him. I only wished he had been on board when we returned in July. I think I can handle Amy in smaller amounts, but I could enjoy Ricky all day long.

Haven't seen you on the RCI boards for a while. I figured you have been busy on your roll calls for New Years and the Honeymoon cruises. Lisa and I booked a few more cruises and will be on Allure in a few weeks. We get to experience the ship that others say is better than Oasis. Allan Brooks will be our CD and we go back to Allue in January and will have Ken Rush then. People speak highly of both of them so it will be interesting.

Hope the both of you are doing well, as well as your extended family. Say hi to all of them for us.

Andrew

• 3 months later...

Just returned from a week on the Oasis with Amy as the CD and overall, I found her to be pretty great. Granted, it was my first time on a cruise so I didn't have much to compare her to, but my entire family marveled at her energy level and agreed that she absolutely got us excited about whatever upcoming show she was introducing.

The AD on the ship was a Jamaican man named Martin who was okay, nothing remarkable about him stood out. He was more grounded than Amy, less "cheerleader-esque, which was kind of welcomed come to think of it. The two of them didn't have a lot of chemistry together during the morning show--felt awkward to watch them interact. Like two news anchors. Some true humor would have been nice.

In the end, I appreciated Amy's energy level because the rocking of the ship made me incredibly lazy and I needed some perking up at times.

• 2 months later...

My brother and I just came back from the Oasis of the Seas and found CD Amy Fickert to be the best representative of Royal Caribbean. She was always genuinely personable, fun, and a pleasure to be around. We always looked forward to seeing Amy and thoroughly enjoying the spirit and camaraderie she helped to foster. She has a contagious excitement, magnetic energy, quick but respectful wit, constant smile, and zest for life. Thank you Amy for making our cruise an unbelievable week that we'll never forget. We hope to see you and the Oasis of the Seas again very soon!

Cruised on Oasis in January and after hearing all of the negative reports on Amy, I was pleasantly surprised by her. Ok, ok, she's no Graham Seymour, but who else is? He is simply amazing. I will say that I was really surprised by her unending energy as she seemed to be everywhere at all hours. She and her assistant (Marvelous Marvin??) made an ok team. I really enjoyed him, maybe even more than Amy, but just got the feeling that they didn't exactly have the warm fuzzy's for each other. Over all, Amy, you're okay in my book.

We had Amy in Feb and frankly I found her very annoying . She has alot of energy but

does not seem to be good in the spotlight alone , when she was doing parades or something really good , other things not so much . If I had to hear (I'm Amy and you are amazing one more time .........)

I truly do not know what I would do or say if someone came up to me and said "I'm Amy and YOU'RE AWESOME"! Seriously? I think after reading this thread I will do my best to avoid "AWESOME AMY"! For the most part, I try to avoid CD's. I'm old enough to know how to make my own fun, thanks.

We had Amy in Feb and frankly I found her very annoying . She has alot of energy but

does not seem to be good in the spotlight alone , when she was doing parades or something really good , other things not so much . If I had to hear (I'm Amy and you are amazing one more time .........)

A Cruise Director is not going to wreck my vacation. In fact, I have been unable to recall much about most of them from my past cruises, especially their name. I may remember how well they hosted the Love and Marriage show or something, but other than that, I find most of them "forgettable".

NOT AMY. Her annoying "I'm Amy and you're awesome" makes me cringe. She is more like that annoying perky cheerleader that you never could like even though you should. Nails on a chalkboard. She almost appears to be trying too hard. I know some love her enthusiasm, but personally, I would take any of the past less-memorable CDs I have had over her.

We found Amy to be a great CD on Oasis. She was friendly and approachable and seemed to be everywhere.

In comparison, I think we saw Graham Seymour twice only on the Freedom. We actually walked out of his late night "comedy" show due to the extreme language used. I don't expect to hear the "c" word used by a CD. :mad:

The CD on Jewel had such an impact that I can't even remember his name!:confused:

Our favourite by far though was Joff Eaton on the Indy. He was funny, energetic, approachable and always smiling!:D

Looking forward to Drew Devine on Adventure!

Gill

Shocked by the language from Graham in the ADULT comedy show where there were warnings from days before the show up to the point of the beginning of the show? Were the constant warnings not a big enough clue?

Sorry don't mean to go off topic but it always amazes me when people don't heed warnings and then get upset by it.

Interesting how different people see things so differently. For me, even having the discussion about "best cruise director ever", is kind of like having a debate about which ship has the best paper towels. I might encounter them may times on a trip, but I can't possibly make myself care. And to think that they would in any way affect my overall vacation experience is inconceivable.

I think this post sums up my feelings perfectly. Of all the cruises we've taken I don't remember one thing about any CD - or paid any attention to them for that matter. The only thing that I remember thinking about any of them is that their enthusiasm is so forced - I know it's their job to make sure people have "fun, fun, fun", but I just find it grating and annoying.

Shocked by the language from Graham in the ADULT comedy show where there were warnings from days before the show up to the point of the beginning of the show? Were the constant warnings not a big enough clue?

Sorry don't mean to go off topic but it always amazes me when people don't heed warnings and then get upset by it.

Exactly. You can fault the cruise lines for a lot of things, but I've never attended an adult "R rated" comedy show on a cruise ship that wasn't preceeded by very clear warnings about the content that was to follow. ...and yes, I've attended many.

If you chose to not heed the very clear warnings and are subsequently offended, whose fault is that?

Archived