Amy Fickert...Oasis of the Seas..best CD ever

I don't really pay much attention to the CD but the one that I really don't care for is Richard Spacey, I know he has lots and lots and lots of fans but I'm not one of them, we have had him on Freedom and then a few years later in 2011 on Oasis - and his act is still the same, sometimes when we went to both sittings or a show we liked his introductions were done word for word, just seemed a bit fake. However, as I've said I know he has a lot of fans, I'm just not one of them.:)

That is not unusual for CDs. We have done numerous B2Bs and can attest to that. We once did a B2B2B2B and by the fourth sailing we cold lip sync the CDs routine.

BTW, Richard Spacey is our favorite because of his creativity and energy.

Nobody beats Richard Spacey....check him out

I am off doing my own thing most of the time, so I don't think a CD will make or break my cruise experience, although I will be traveling on the Oasis next year and from what I am reading, I do not think that Amy's personality will be to my liking. We had James Andrews as CD this year and I thought he was great. Just watched the video above of Richard Spacey and hope that I am lucky enough to have him as CD one day. Thanks for the link.

I don't really pay much attention to the CD but the one that I really don't care for is Richard Spacey, I know he has lots and lots and lots of fans but I'm not one of them, we have had him on Freedom and then a few years later in 2011 on Oasis - and his act is still the same, sometimes when we went to both sittings or a show we liked his introductions were done word for word, just seemed a bit fake. However, as I've said I know he has a lot of fans, I'm just not one of them.:)

I will agree with you. Most CD's change nothing and use a very canned routine. If someone is creative they would be changing their routine. There is nothing creative about doing the same thing over and over and over again.

Hmmm...I guess since I LOVE Graham Seymour I may not like Amy? Sailing Oasis in November, we shall see who the CD is then.

I had Graham four times and every cruise was fabulous. A CD CAN make a cruise, don't forget, they're in charge of all the games and shows, etc. They make it fun (or suck!) think Sun Princess in 98 Simon ICK!

I had Kelvin Joy again last month (Princess - where Graham came from) and he is just like Graham (he trained him well) I purposely put the tv on every morning JUST to watch the "wake" show.

Starts your day out with a smile!

I adore Graham but not enough to sail Freedom out of Pt Canaveral (blah!) but whoever sees him next, please tell him hello from Wendy (he'll know!) :D

Graham Seymour all the way for me too :D but Joff Eaton comes a very close second. happy to sail with either of them. As said in other posts a CD can make or break a cruise depending on their attitude.

Would gladly recommend either of these two Brits. Oh and quite like Gordon Whatman too.

I am off doing my own thing most of the time, so I don't think a CD will make or break my cruise experience, although I will be traveling on the Oasis next year and from what I am reading, I do not think that Amy's personality will be to my liking. We had James Andrews as CD this year and I thought he was great. Just watched the video above of Richard Spacey and hope that I am lucky enough to have him as CD one day. Thanks for the link.

Your welcome. He really is a hoot. :)

"I'm Amy and YOU'RE AWESOME!!!" (BARF!!!):eek:

Amy is very polarizing, you either love her or hate her. Personally, I'm not a fan (not a fan of spunky cheerleaders in general, that's probably why), but good to hear that you enjoyed her.:)

I agree - you either loved her or hated her. I cruised on the Oasis in June, and found her to be a little "too" much. I had a tough time being able to tell if she were sincere or not. "I'm Amy and you're awesome" got to be very old after 7 days....

Oh, well. Even if the CD isn't what you had hoped, you are still on vacation and on a cruise -- nothing better than cruising!

There are some Great CDs out there, many get named checked alot on these pages, I could name many that I enjoy sailing with and some that I could do without. However recently had the pleasure of sailing with Rico DuBreil, he was amazing, great smile and full of energy. Although he was also supported by a great team, I often find that a CD can be good, and a few AMs do shine ( and eventually get promoted, well done Rich E ), but Ricos team were outstanding. Most of them were really enthusiastic and fully involved, great job Rico, hope to sail with you again soon.

We found her to be very annoying. She seems quite inexperienced to be on a ship this size.

HAHA! The quote she made that they kept replaying on the TV that really annoying me was, "I know people look at me and say, Boy she's really young to have such an important postion. However, I am the most knowledge person on the ship...!" UM, REALLY?!

As a Jr. Exec, if I said something like that out loud in front of the C-level Execs, I can imagine the looks and comments right now. Reality check for Amy, please!

HAHA! The quote she made that they kept replaying on the TV that really annoying me was, "I know people look at me and say, Boy she's really young to have such an important postion. However, I am the most knowledge person on the ship...!" UM, REALLY?!

As a Jr. Exec, if I said something like that out loud in front of the C-level Execs, I can imagine the looks and comments right now. Reality check for Amy, please!

Ewwww, I don't remember hearing her say that one. That's even more barfy than "I'm Amy and YOU'RE AWESOME"!!!

Ahhhh, Amyisms....I'll pass thanks.:D

"Amy is very polarizing, you either love her or hate her. Personally, I'm not a fan (not a fan of spunky cheerleaders in general, that's probably why), but good to hear that you enjoyed her.:)

Couldn't agree more! Really glad to hear that you enjoyed her OP. My personal opinion falls more in line with PhoenixDawgCruising.

I had Amy the first time on Oasis and Ricky Matthews the second time and it was night and day IMHO, really enjoyed Ricky more. I did have Amy very early in her tenure on Oasis though, so perhaps she has markedly improved since then!

We had the same reaction to her, I also did not care for her unkempt appearance.Really don't care much about the CD but she seemed to always be on TV,hard to avoid.:(

I just got off the Oasis this morning and did hear her say this last week. In the way she said it though it didn't sound cocky. She said she started on the Oasis on the Cruise Director staff and was promoted twice since then so she has been in that office in some capacity since the ship has been in the fleet. If I spent that much time on one ship in that type of department/job I'd probably assume I was among the most knowledgeable about the ship too.

I did hear her multiple times behind the scenes talking to crew members and she was not rude in any of those instances. I'm nosy and can read lips so believe me, I was paying attention! Once, after Hairspray one of the crew members failed to open enough doors to let the crowd out and she was nice about asking him to fix it. She said it was looking a little congested and we should probably open the rest of the doors because there were a lot of elderly people and small kids at the back of the line and wanted them to get out safely. This morning she went over to the group herding the passengers through the line to disembark and she said that they were doing a great job, things were running really smoothly. Who knows, maybe she is rude to others but my husband (who didn't like her) commented on his own that he noticed other times when she was with the crew and was really nice to them or praised them for something positive.

I was curious to see how she would be as CD because I'd heard plenty of negative comments about her here but I did not hate her. We had Allan Brooks last year on Allure and liked him but I did enjoy that Amy was EVERYWHERE. I only saw one thing where Zack introduced something but other than that she opened and closed each show and saw her at all the parties and happening things. I am generally annoyed by perky cheerleader types but I also realize that you can't be a boring, quiet, anti-social cruise director so I sort of expect ALL CDs to be somewhere in the perky category

We found her very annoying as well.

I also don't think she's as witty as some of the other CDs. During the Quest and Love & Marriage game shows, she seemed to be struggling to come up with an on the spot joke while playing off a passenger's answer.

Most CDs don't bother me one way or the other. If I don't care for them, I don't watch their morning show. I don't really get why Ken Rush seems to bug so many people around here (btw he bugged my husband lol). Richard Spacey was definitely our favorite and my kids really liked Graham Seymour as well.

Whatever happened to Dave Chapman? He was good, too.

Most CDs don't bother me one way or the other. If I don't care for them, I don't watch their morning show. I don't really get why Ken Rush seems to bug so many people around here (btw he bugged my husband lol). Richard Spacey was definitely our favorite and my kids really liked Graham Seymour as well.

Whatever happened to Dave Chapman? He was good, too.

He just returned from his break and is on Majesty right now.

I just got off the Oasis yesterday too. Here is what I said about her in my review:

The Cruise Director was Amy Fickert. I only bring this up because I have read discussions regarding her on these boards. I never really thought much about the C.D. until I had Graham Seymour on the Freedom a few years ago. He was hysterical and we always looked forward to his introductions and morning shows. Those of you who have experienced him or Richard Spacey know what I am talking about. (Check them out on youtube.) Last year we had Allan Brooks on the Allure. He wasn't that funny compared to Graham Seymour but was fun and did a great job on Love and Marriage and The Belly Flop. Having said all that, Amy, to put it bluntly, is awful. She is loud and shrill and becomes annoying after day 1. I don't know that I heard her say one funny or amusing thing all week. Yes, she is enthusiastic, but so is a 13 year old cheerleader, which is what we felt we were getting with Amy. We actually walked out of the Love and Marriage show (which we love) because it was boring and not funny. I don't understand how Royal gives her this position on one of their signature ships. Maybe she has naked pictures of the CEO. In any event, she certainly didn't ruin or detract from the cruise, but we did feel an enjoyable element was missing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and preferences. We never watched the morning shows, we we're up and about working out or getting ready to go ashore, if I wanted to watch tv, I would have stayed home. I thought she was very friendly and she always had a crowd around her asking for a picture. I think the management at RCCL must also think a lot of her to put her on the flagship.

Another thought could be that they know they don't need to put their best on to sell the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got of Oasis 8/27 with Amy....

I appreciate her energy but to me she came of as always wanting to be the center of attention. She was more "CA" than a "CD".

She did also come off as very fake but I guess that comes from the cheerleader thing. At times if you really watch her, she's like super smiles and then when she turns around it's a complete 360.

The shows she hosted were horrible as well but not sure if that was her fault or the contestants they chose.

Overall though, Cruise Directors don't really factor too much into my enjoyment as much as the ship, ports of call, and food so no biggie, just adding my observation.

I found Amy to be in over her head (which is particularly bad spot to be at sea) as a CD. I found almost all of her "bits" to be verbatim from prior CDs, but without the charm and ability to make them her own, it came across as fake and inexperienced. Even her "day in the life of a cruise director" video was a carbon copy of Richard Spacey's. but without the comedy acting chops to make it her own. To think, 3 years ago she wasn't even an employee of any cruise line, yet here she is CD on an (arguably) flagship, umm, ship.

My first (and best CD) was the famous Becky Thomsen (from England) who later went on to train CDs herself before leaving the industry, so my bar of excellence is set high.

Still, I think the biggest ships, with the biggest audiences, deserve the best rated CDs.

I agree with Thestapels who posted, in effect, that these ships sell themselves so the choice of CD is less important here than on older, smaller ships.

I pretty much avoid anything to do with the CD.

But, she introduced most of the shows. So, the "I'm Amy and YOU'RE AWESOME!!!" did get a bit ........ tiring.

To me, you could take all the CDs in the fleet and drop them all in the middle of the Atlantic and it would not bother me a bit.

And someone mentioned there was a morning TV show ..... geeeez, I didn't even know we had a TV.:rolleyes:

I'm already annoyed at Amy's tagline just from this thread.

As far as the morning show, I knew we had a TV ... just didn't know it showed anything other than a map and our seapass account.

What I didn't know is that we had a CD. I have no clue who it was and never even heard of one before I came to CC. So I have to agree that I wouldn't miss them.

Archived