To book another cruise or not???

DT1304

I have my first ever cruise booked for December.

I am also planning to do a Med cruise in around September 2013.

My problem is that I have never been on a cruise before, so how do I know that "cruising is for me" and for my family for that matter?

I know I can always cancel as it is long enough in advance, but where my problem comes in is with my flights.

I want to use frequent flyer points for my flights, which means I need to book a year in advance to ensure I get the flights I want, and my points will then be deducted.

My TA tells me that the points are deducted immediately. Then if I decide to cancel the cruise, I have already got flights to Europe booked and points deducted that I cant get back!

decisions decision?????

Wellll, if you truly are locked into the fares 330 days in advance using miles- you have no status with the airline, and the airline really limits the number of free tickets, it would seem your decision is made.

There is no way we can assure you that cruising is for you. There is a good chance you will like cruising, but we can't promise you anything.

Most airlines will let you redeposit your miles for a fee. Before booking you may want to check the fee so you know what it is.

Also, if you decide not to cruise, you can always take a land vacation in Europe.

Sounds like others here know a whole lot more about travel and regs than I do. I'll just say that, restrictions aside, I'd want to go on cruise 1 before booking cruise 2.

You're going to find out things on the first one. What kind of dining situation works best for you? Do you like sea days or would you rather have a port-intensive cruise? Would you like a longer or shorter trip? Do you think you'd like to try a bigger cabin? A smaller and cheaper one? There are dozens more questions you'll answer for yourself after your first cruise.

Jim

Aside from the fees for redepositing points, you could book the air and if you find cruising is not to your liking you could always do a land tour. Chances are you will like cruising but if you don't, don't let it cause you to miss an opportunity to see the Mediteranian. I am sure there will be plenty of land tours also available.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

I have to agree -- you can always use those flights for a land vacation if you do not want to pay the fees to get back your points.

Also keep something else in mind and be prepared -- you may book your flights -- for example -- in August for the Med next June -- those flight schedules will likely change in those 10 months.

I think it may benefit you to do some more research before locking yourself into these financial commitments.

Also, ship and itinerary can play a part of whether or not one enjoys a cruise.

Each cruise is different.

My first was a South American 14 night cruise with Celebrity, and with kids. Celebrity does has things for kids but not for a 14 night cruise, and the weather was not great.

My second was one year later in the Med, which was great, it was 11 nights with MSC and although there were not tons of stuff for kids, the ports were nice. It's all about the sea days, I prefer to stick with a 1 week cruise with no more than 3 days at Sea, and if it's two, well I wouldn't book one if it has over 6 days at Sea.But depends the cruise, weather, etc..

Archived