Alcohol for sale on the ship

I'm told that RCCL sells bottles of alcohol at BIG discounts on the 1st day of the cruise. And then you pick them up on the last day when you go home. Can anyone confirm this? And what kind of discounts?

Thanks

I'm told that RCCL sells bottles of alcohol at BIG discounts on the 1st day of the cruise.

In my experience, the prices are the same on every day of the cruise. Can you imagine being charged one rate, and then 4 days later it's cheaper by 10 bucks? There would be a lot of choked passengers if they did this, plus a mountain of paperwork for the refunds. ;)

They do have rotating specials, though; all the stores bring out "new" stock toward the end of your cruise, but it's not like they discount the other items.

As other's have said the prices are typically the same regardless of when you buy. You buy, and the package is delivered to your room the night before (Other's have reported having to pick it up, but, I have never had to do that) Occasionally they have contests...on our last cruise I won 150 bucks by buying on the first day, which got me a ticket for the drawing.

We check the prices in the onboard shop first and know that it will be there all week (hopefully!). If we find a lower price in the Islands - and we usually do - we will buy it in port. St. Maarten has great pricing on liquor, especially Mount Gay Sugar Cane Brandy which you can't get here in Canada.

But with other items too (like the price of perfume onboard), know your prices before you buy.

They are not huge discounts, but sometimes they offer specials during the liquor tasting. Some things, like Sheridans, you can only get on the ship and they offer a good deal on 2 bottles.

I miss the days when you could buy cheaper on day one, pay a one time corkage fee and take your purchase back to your cabin. I wish they'd either bring that back or do the drink cards again or the daily drink plan that's been going on in Europe.

On Monarch April 2012, you had to go get it on the morning you left the ship. Stood in line at 7:30 am to pick up my alcohol. Had to leave room in my carry-on then repack at the airport to get it home. When I sailed on Empress we had to go pick it up as well. Can others post their experience on their ship and when. I think RCI is switching to you picking it up instead of having someone deliver it the night before.

On Monarch April 2012, you had to go get it on the morning you left the ship. Stood in line at 7:30 am to pick up my alcohol. Had to leave room in my carry-on then repack at the airport to get it home. When I sailed on Empress we had to go pick it up as well. Can others post their experience on their ship and when. I think RCI is switching to you picking it up instead of having someone deliver it the night before.

On our recent Italian Mediterranean cruise (30th June 2012 departure) the alchohol we had bought in port was delivered to our stateroom on the final evening. I suppose some people might use it for a last night party.

I bought a bottle of PATRON PLATINUM on board for half the price i'd pay at home...:D happy dance lol.:D

We always stock up on Patron when we cruise. :) In fact, there are some shops in St. Maarten that beat ship prices by $3. We save a ton on the stuff.

In response to the main thread, we've never seen additional discounts on liquor at any point of the cruise. Price at embarkation is the same until the shops close up on the last day.

I have always found the prices to be cheaper on the islands than on the ship.

This is very accurate. I was told by staff on the Explorer that the ship would price match any price I found on land. All I had to do was take a picture of the price to provide proof. Since many places in port delivered right to the ship, it seemed easier to just buy it on land at the lower cost, than to take pictures and try to buy it on the ship later. Plus, you got to taste it in many stores on land, not just during certain times on the ship.

The ship staff also said that you can't always count on them having what you want, since they sometimes sell out.

Taking a picture of the cheaper prices on land may come in handy if you haven't decided what you want, or if you buy some on land and think you might want additional quantities before you disembark.

Just curious, has anyone ever taken pictures in port and tried to price match once back on the ship?

Archived