What are they thinking, drinking, smoking?

BruceMuzz

There might be another explanation. On our Alaskan cruise two years ago, we were told of a woman who had brought no warm clothing -- just shorts, bathing suits, etc. When she complained about the weather, she said that Hawaii and Alaska were right next to each other on the map -- it seems she did not realize that the two insets on the map did not realize that they were in different locations!

Yes they drive and they vote.

There might be another explanation. On our Alaskan cruise two years ago, we were told of a woman who had brought no warm clothing -- just shorts, bathing suits, etc. When she complained about the weather, she said that Hawaii and Alaska were right next to each other on the map -- it seems she did not realize that the two insets on the map did not realize that they were in different locations!

Wow...words fail me...!

Priceless!!!

I teach high school and you would be surprised at the number of students who think that AK and HI are right next to each other. :(

I teach high school and you would be surprised at the number of students who think that AK and HI are right next to each other. :(

And some folks wonder why our country is in the condition it is in.

No wonder to me.:rolleyes:

I believe it. After hearing so many STUPID questions from direct guests at royal caribbean "Do you guys have and cruises from las vegas?!" No, sorry." "Why not!?!?" I could see any stupid question being asked.

My ship is currently sailing in Alaska.

3 days ago I spent most of the evening reading guest comment cards from the cruise just completed.

Out of several thousand forms, 12 passengers commented that they were very disappointed that more fresh pineapple was not served on the cruise. Several of them went so far as to state that their cruise was ruined since we did not serve as much fresh pineapple as they expected on an Alaska cruise.

I first checked with my F&B Director to see if there was a problem with pineapples. He assured me that we served as many last week as on all other weeks.

No requests for additional fresh pineapple were received. We have plenty onboard.

Then I checked to see if these 12 people were from Hawaii. They were not.

Then I checked to see if these people might be members of some organized group. They were not.

I even googled "Alaska and Pineapples" to learn of some obscure connection I was not aware of.

Nothing found.

Can anybody tell me why people would book an Alaska cruise and expect to eat large quantities of fresh pineapple there?

The next morning we boarded a fresh group of passengers.

One of the ladies had her suitcase lost by one of the airlines. The case was quickly found, but too late to make the ship. The airline was happy to forward the bag to the next port of call.

Unfortunately, the passenger not only gave them the wrong ship name - but also the wrong port, and the wrong cruise line.

The suitcase is now on that "other ship".

As luck would have it, today that ship will visit a port that we will stop at on the final day of our cruise. They will drop it off, and we can pick it up there.

Can you guess who the passenger is blaming for the lost bag?

She only demands a free cruise in compensation.

Next time you have a complaint on a ship, and the ship staff seem a bit skeptical, remember these stories.

Re 'lack of pineapples'.I once sailed in April from Japan to Vancouver, via Russia and the Aloutian Islands. Before we left I mentioned to my wife that some foodstuffs might be in short supply. I was right, in 19 days I only had one thin slice of tomato.

One has to remember the area, and, time of year when sailing, and what a cruise ship can, and can not pick up, and/or store for a prolonged period at a reasonable price.

What does surprise me is the variety food that is served, in some of the areas that we have sailed.

john

I believe it. After hearing so many STUPID questions from direct guests at royal caribbean "Do you guys have and cruises from las vegas?!" No, sorry." "Why not!?!?" I could see any stupid question being asked.

Face:Palm

I suppose you could get a Soverign class ship in the lake at the Bellagio! Although, the 3 feet of water might be a problem... :D

I've had to turn away multiple passengers traveling to Cancun because they didn't have passports. They thought Cancun was in Florida...

Sigh...

Bruce, thank you for your entertaining and insightful posts. And yes, i would also buy your book. :)

I would too, Bruce! Normally, I try to avoid the "vent" threads -- but yours are hilarious (and thought-provoking). Thanks for sharing with us. :cool:

(full disclosure- I am married to sstepson so I get to hear these stories daily :) )

Overheard on on our honeymoon on the Miracle, as we docked in our first port and were walking into town:

"Now, be careful kids, this is a foreign country."

We were in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Sadly when receiving these idiotic complaints we can not grab the complainant and slap some sense back into them.

The lack of pineapple has ruined many of my tropical vacations. The fancy drinks just are not the same with out the pineapple garnish. Had to tough it out with only an orange slice garnish. Woe is me.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

And the really scary part is that they procreate.

[quote name='backdro69']I teach high school and you would be surprised at the number of students who think that AK and HI are right next to each other. :([/QUOTE]

And you can see Russia from...

Oh, never mind.

[B][SIZE=3]Some the things that passenger's complain about never seems to amaze me... I have met a few that I could have swore just came on a cruise to complain. It takes all kinds.:eek: and.... they all want a free cruise;)[/SIZE][/B]

Sounds like folks without much travel experience.

We always ask for what we want. 90% of the time we receive what we ask for...

As far as not knowing what ship your are on... I never quiet understand that one. Sometimes someone has told me they took a cruise and my first question is what ship? Surprising how often they are sure. It is a wonder they get to the ship in the first place.

[quote name='tangerinebunny']"Next time you have a complaint on a ship, and the ship staff seem a bit skeptical, remember these stories."

And perhaps you should remember all of us who sail quietly, pay our bills on time, and say thank you to all as we depart.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, those of us in the travel industry really appreciate the "normal" travelers who do what you describe...those are the folks that make our jobs easier.

It's the <1% of folks that don't have a clue that make for fun stories and fun threads on CC...! :D

I'm hoping to eat some fresh pineapple on my upcoming Sapphire Princess cruise. I'd also like fresh cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon. But none of them is the reason I'm going to Alaska. And if they're not available, I'll find something to eat.

This was way way before 9/11 but my aunt once got on the wrong plane. The name of the city was the same but it was the wrong state. Not sure how the gate agent didn't catch that. At least she didn't complain, she just burst into hysterics! The airline did get her to the correct city free though.

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Black"]Note to the fresh pinapple lovers:

After you cut the rind off, boil it in some water for a while. After it is cool it makes a great drink. Plant the top in a nice vase for a plant, and grow your own.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Taxguy77'][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Black"]Note to the fresh pinapple lovers:

After you cut the rind off, boil it in some water for a while. After it is cool it makes a great drink. Plant the top in a nice vase for a plant, and grow your own.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Or cut up the pineapple and add it to Vodka, let steep for a week. It also makes a very nice drink!;)

Bruce,

Several posters have suggested that you write a book about cruises. And I agree. You write exceptionally well, so much so that I suspect there is newspaper work or at least Journalism courses in your past.

There have been times when I have not agreed with you, but your posts are always thought provoking and I look forward to reading your posts.

And...surveys are really a complete waste of time and resources. Surveys were created when a group of business schools professors had nothing better to do, that is, nothing positive or informative to tell their students. You can't eliminate bias is one problem, such as "that dark little man had an accent" or my grandmother's quiche was better than the ship's.

My suggestion is...ask passengers to voluntairly put in writing any real problems that they have, instead of using a mass survey. I have been on 33 cruises and really do not like the idea of sitting in judgement of people. Especially when with one or two exceptions, cruise staff have been hard working professionals whom I came to see as friends rather than as temporary servants.

Archived