Best pizza in rome?

juanarcin

I will be staying near the spanish steps and am looking to have some amazing pizza! It doesnt have to be near the steps but if anyone knows of a good pizzeria near there I would love to hear about it. I went last year and ate at a pizzeria called "Pizzeria da baffetto" It was amazing! I will only be here one full day and although I love that pizza spot I would hate to leave without trying a new location...then again I would hate to trade the delicious pizza for one I wont enjoy as much!

• 3 weeks later...

Pizzarium near the Vatican - best in town. Dude is an artist and fresh artisanl breads produced here hourly are unbelievable.

Not far from the Campo is Roscioli Bakery - not the famous wine bar/restaurant of same name. Same family operate both. Rocioli Bakery is down a side street opposite the restaurant, a mere five minute walk from the Campo. Exceptional pizza by the slice all day long and a number of very unusual breads you might want to take back to the ship for dinner.

Roscioli Bakery pizza is superior to the al forno in the Campo (which is pretty good also as noted above).

Montecarlo has pizza over by P. Navona. I'm not crazy about it but others cheer it on.

The key point is the very best pizza in Rome is served only at night. As you are in Rome only for the afternoon, my above recs are options for day trippers.

Avoid Da Baffeto. Fodor's rec is years out of date and the pie there is simply dreadful.

I was not terribly impressed with pizza anywhere in Italy. They do not make like you get here AT ALL! Most of the places don't put sauce on it at all.

We did go to a small pizzeria at Lake Maggiore that made the pizza to your request, so we asked that some sauce be added and that was delish right out of the brick oven right in front of you, plate sized pizza.

But most of the otherplaces it just wasn't to our liking.

I was not terribly impressed with pizza anywhere in Italy. They do not make like you get here AT ALL! Most of the places don't put sauce on it at all.

We did go to a small pizzeria at Lake Maggiore that made the pizza to your request, so we asked that some sauce be added and that was delish right out of the brick oven right in front of you, plate sized pizza.

Are you perhaps inadvertently ordering a pizza bianca? That definitely won't have any tomato sauce. A pizza rossa should have at least a smear of red sauce, although nowhere near as much as some American pizzerias will put on. Many pizzerias will have bianche and rosse sides of the menu.

Your post is puzzling. Not every pizza has noticeable tomato sauce, but they do use it on many pizzas...and not always sparingly:

Pizza Margarita in Naples:

http://www.woodstone-corp.com/images/food/naples/nap_pizza_finished_lg.jpg

Pizza with fried eggplant in Rome:

http://umami.*******.com/umami/images/2007/11/16/pizza_ciro_w_fried_aub.jpg

I wasn't that impressed either....Maybe I was expecting too much ;):)

We stayed at the Hassler last year and the concierge recommended

LA CAPRICCIOSA which was about a ten minute walk down the steps to

Largo del Lombardi 8, Via Del Corso, Tel: 06 6878480

It had outdoor seating and it was wonderful!!!!

I agree with you

Pizzarium near the Vatican - best in town. Dude is an artist and fresh artisanl breads produced here hourly are unbelievable.

Not far from the Campo is Roscioli Bakery - not the famous wine bar/restaurant of same name. Same family operate both. Rocioli Bakery is down a side street opposite the restaurant, a mere five minute walk from the Campo. Exceptional pizza by the slice all day long and a number of very unusual breads you might want to take back to the ship for dinner.

Roscioli Bakery pizza is superior to the al forno in the Campo (which is pretty good also as noted above).

Montecarlo has pizza over by P. Navona. I'm not crazy about it but others cheer it on.

The key point is the very best pizza in Rome is served only at night. As you are in Rome only for the afternoon, my above recs are options for day trippers.

Avoid Da Baffeto. Fodor's rec is years out of date and the pie there is simply dreadful.

• 2 weeks later...

Puzzling. Don't understand this. Wondering where you purchase pizza in the US? Papa John's? Dominos? Frozen pizza?

Totally agree.

You need to look for authentic Neapolitan sytle pizza with thin crust - harder to find outside of Naples and Venice. Lots of takeout places (especially in Rome) sell thick crust pizza by weight which isn't very good. I guess there is more profit by making the crust thicker.

You need to look for authentic Neapolitan sytle pizza with thin crust - harder to find outside of Naples and Venice. Lots of takeout places (especially in Rome) sell thick crust pizza by weight which isn't very good. I guess there is more profit by making the crust thicker.

Actually, Neapolitan pizza has its enthusiasts and its detractors. This style pizza gets small charred spots on both the underside of the crust and around the rim. Some folks don't like the charred taste. I'm ambivalent about Neapolitan pizza. I love the outer ring of each pizza, but I don't love the undercooked center which is the result of using an inferno-hot oven but insanely short cooking time. Neapolitan pizza is traditionally served whole so the pie stays hot and continues cooking on its trip from the kitchen to the table.

In Rome, the take-out pizza slice places are intended for working folks to grab a quick bite to eat. In general, such places don't perceive themselves to be the finest example of Roman cuisine in the city. They offer good, serviceable food.

I also want to comment on something you wrote about profit and crust.

Italians have a different attitude about the importance of the pasta to the sauce and the same applies to pizza and toppings. Order a plate of pasta or a pizza pie in Italy and you'll get less topping than you would ordering the same dish in the US. The Italians are not being cheap. They simply value the excellence of the dough itself to the point where they want that to be appreciated without drowning it in mushrooms, Bolognese sauce -- whatever.

As with all foreign destinations, you'll have less of a let down if you understand a bit about the local point of view. My own wrong expectation story involves a mixed green salad in Rome. The salad I was served at Fiammetta included what most Americans would describe as under-ripe tomatoes: pale red with patches of green. I was really unhappy and felt that I was receiving second-class tourist treatment. Shortly after returning home, I discovered a post written by an Italian about tomatoes in salads.

Italians deliberately put under-ripe tomatoes into mixed salads because they want to avoid diluting the salad dressing with the juice of super-ripe tomatoes. I was not on the receiving end of second-class, tourist treatment. (Incidentally, over the years, I've returned to Fiammetta and had other types of salads. When I order a salad Caprese I'm served slices of great tasting, fully-ripe tomatoes. When I order a mixed salad, I continue to be served under-ripe tomatoes. Finally, Fiammetta, just north of Piazza Navona, serves the best eggplant Parmesan I've ever eaten.)

Pasta to Australians is like curry to the English; the favourite dish, but it is Aussie-pasta. Most of the pizza here is Aussie-American-Pizza style. As someone said, the pizza and pasta in Italy is served without as much topping and sauce and without as much mixing of flavours.

My husband is Sicilian-born and I appreciate both styles; I dont mind Aussie tandoori chicken or roast lamb and vegetable pizza, and my father used to just eat the topping off pasta and leave the spaghetti (it was always spaghetti in the old days)

There are a few places in Sydney that serve fairly authentic Italian style pizza and the reviews are really polarised; either thank goodness there is somewhere that serves proper pizza, or, have they forgotten all about a topping in this dreadful place.

Archived