Summit Boarding

As you enter the terminal there are different check-in lines for Suites, Aqua Class, Concierge Class, Elites, Handicapped, and perhaps some others. Sometimes the "Priority Boarding" lines are actually longer than the other lines. Generally you go straight from the check-in to the ship. If you are there very early or if there are delays in boarding, you may go to a waiting area and sit for a while. From there, you may find that Suites are called first, but at other times it's just row by row, first in first out with no consideration for what kind of stateroom you are booked in or what your loyalty status might be. YMMV.

Boarding was quick, BUT...do not hurry. We were on by 12:30, hearded into public spaces with carry ons while waiting for the rooms to be ready which was around 2 pm. Do yourself a favor and wait until closer to 2:00. Very hot and unpleasant waiting around.

I'll disagree with boarding close to when the SRs are opened. We get on board very early, check the ship out, have some food at the Buffet or the Bistro on 5. Even with a roll-around it is fun to be on board early on. No reason to sit around just waiting. And my experiences have been the ship temp was just fine. No different from any time on the ship. Heck, people have gone to the Spa changing rooms, put on swimsuits and into the pools.

To each our own. Personally, I want my vacation onboard to start as soon as possible. By the way, been on some ships were we could go to our SR, drop off our carry-on in the closet and get out of the way of the workers just fine.

Den

Suggest you get there early to avoid long car lines getting into the port and to drop off luggage and find parkiing

Suites and AQ (& maybe Elite) get priority boarding onto the little busses) Last trip we had no problems other than a long back up to get into the port area...they blamed it on the baggage handlers being short staffed that day--but it also seems to be an inefficient routing system.....

.Not the best port for boarding but once on board---it's worth it!!! Hope they return an S class ship to this port

Just got off the ship today. We were there at the terminal last week by 11am and just kept moving right on to the ship. Went straight up to Deck 10 and got some food and just sat and enjoyed everything until they made an announcement around 1:30 that the staterooms were ready. I could not believe how fast we boarded - got swept right through!

Do they usually board the suites earlier?:confused:

No, it's first come, first checked in. They have separate lines for suites and Elite, but there are so many it really doesn't make a difference.

Last August we were on board the Summit at 11:30, and relaxing by the T pool in our suits shortly thereafter. We had a lovely civilized lunch at bistro on5 after we had admired the Solsticized updates around the ship. We only had carry ons for luggage, fully loaded as you can imagine. Since we were alone in the Bistro, plenty of room to tuck our bags away, until we unpacked at about 1:30. The week ended with an extra sea day, thanks to hurricane Irene! Have a lovely cruise.

Just got off the ship today. We were there at the terminal last week by 11am and just kept moving right on to the ship. Went straight up to Deck 10 and got some food and just sat and enjoyed everything until they made an announcement around 1:30 that the staterooms were ready. I could not believe how fast we boarded - got swept right through!

Good to know. How was your cruise?

Do they usually board the suites earlier?:confused:

Nope. Boarding opens for everyone at the same time but suites

do have their own "check in" line....although if another line has

less people you can check in at that one as well.:)

Suites, Aqua and Consierge have a separate check in line. We arrived at the port at 10:30 and there was no one online (we booked Aqua). We were checked in and on the ship at 11:30. Cabins were ready before 1.

Good morning,

What is the time that boarding usually starts in Bayonne for the Summit? Just trying to figure out what time to get to the ship. Thanks.

We got off the Summit yesterday. We were dropped off at the port at about 11 AM. No lines of cars--pulled right in. After you "check in" you get a number for the little shuttle bus that takes you to the ship. As soon as we sat down, they called our number and we were soon on board. Cabins weren't ready. We went up to the pool area and sat in some very comfortable deck chairs. We changed into the bathing suits we brought in our carry-ons and got some lunch from the buffet to eat on deck. Cabins were ready shortly after 1:00.

Vicki

Agreed. Get there earlier rather than later. They let us drop our carryon stuff in the room when we got there. We took the scheduled tour of the ship which was done by one of the assistant cruise directors and was full of inside tidbits. We had a relaxing lunch because the ship wasn't crowded yet. In Bayonne we got there a little after ten and were on the ship a few minutes after 11. We sat in the section for Elite and CC cabin passengers and they served pastries and cookies and juice and answered any questions and in a few minutes we were on the bus for the three minute ride to the ship. I think the Elite CC people got called first but within that section there was no differentiation. It all moved so quickly. I hear it gets crowded and backed up a bit later. It was nice to be able to walk all around the ship before everyone got there.

Agreed. Get there earlier rather than later. They let us drop our carryon stuff in the room when we got there. We took the scheduled tour of the ship which was done by one of the assistant cruise directors and was full of inside tidbits. We had a relaxing lunch because the ship wasn't crowded yet. In Bayonne we got there a little after ten and were on the ship a few minutes after 11. We sat in the section for Elite and CC cabin passengers and they served pastries and cookies and juice and answered any questions and in a few minutes we were on the bus for the three minute ride to the ship. I think the Elite CC people got called first but within that section there was no differentiation. It all moved so quickly. I hear it gets crowded and backed up a bit later. It was nice to be able to walk all around the ship before everyone got there.

How do you go about getting invited to the "scheduled ship tour?"

Archived