Westerdam: I Hope the Cruise was the Exception for HAL, Not the Rule.

wallyboag

Wallyboag, you are wasting your time, some people here would say it was your fault if the ship hit a rock and sank, write your letter and let it die. Next time use a different line.

hypercafe exaggerates for effect. Not sure how helpful this is, but take this in mind.

I was in the service industry for years - and the attitude that the customer is right (even if they are wrong) really pays off. If the drink is not what the client thinks it should be, then yes, replace it. No questions asked. (now, if the customer does it over and over - that's a horse of a different colour).

As far as we know, this is a one only situation - a new drink should have been brought right away and then if they had to have a committee to 'discuss the refund' they could do so after solving the problem.

Time is money and so are customers. i don't know how it works as I have never had to return a drink but once (wrong one) in all my cruises. There was no delay - there was an apology and a new drink in front of me so fast your head would spin - so I am at a loss to understand this scenario.

I have never had a problem with a drink on board, but in the bars around town there is quite often a mistake made. The bar really does not lose by replacing the drink, and satisfying that customer. There is generally a "regular" who is not picky and drinks the mistake so the bar gets the good will with the regular as well.

wallyboag - OK, now you're just whining. You were told to take the card to the purser's desk. You didn't. The security guy became stern. THis was HAL's fault?

How long does it take a locksmith to show up at your house when you call

one?

I think the O.P's expectations were not met, and like everyone else s/he is entitled to their opinion.

Just because many long time posters here have nothing but happy experiences on their many HAL cruises does not mean everyone shared these experiences and to the O.P. their complaints are valid.

I wasn't there and the O.P. was. It was their cruise and they were disappointed.

I think it's too bad their expectations were not met, wish them well in their future travels and thank them for sharing.

Juneau day dining: Here's where it got really frustrating. Because of a time change, clocks were set back the day we were scheduled to arrive in Juneau.

Correct. Normal proceedure when time zone changes. The time change is usually done at either 2 or 3 o'clock... in the middle of the night. This is not done without telling you. It is in the daily program and also the steward leaves a note on the bed... DON'T FORGET TO TURN YOUR CLOCK BACK ONE HOUR. How can this be frustrating? All it means is that you got an extra hour sleep!

This meant to our bodies and the 2,000 other passengers on board, 11:00 was lunchtime.

No it does not mean that at all. If you were heading for lunch at 11:00 that is the same as Noon on old time... so what is you body having to adjust to? Unless you just finished breakfast an hour earlier and in that did you really want a lunch as well? Please don't tell us what 2,000 other people did because I'm quite certaain that the majority were up early, having breakfast and enjoying the scenery.

The all ashore time for Juneau was 12:15. The lido did not open until 11:00 AM and the dining room did not open until 12:00. This meant that 2,000 people had to cycle through the Lido in 1 hour. Ridiculous!

There is no such thing as 'all ashore time'. 12.15 is simply the time that the ship is expected to dock and you will be allowed to go ashore for whatever purpose you wish. 2,000 people DID NOT have to get through the Lido in one hour. You are assuming and quite incorrectly I believe. Those passengers going on early tours might want to have something before heading ashore. Fair enough but all tours don't leave at the same time so while some may have been eager to get shore the rest can do their lunch in the lodo... after 12 o'clock or go to the dining room... as they wish.

I called room service at 11:00 to order a steak sandwich. They would only have the limited menu until 12:00! What good is that when everyone is going on shore?

Yes, limited menu because breakfast would have been available from around 7 am to 10 or 10.30. Why would anyone be requesting a steak sandwich immediately after breakfast or when teh lido is just aabout ready to open for lunch? This is normal practice in 99% of hotels etc around the world. If you are indisposed in your cabin for any reaason.... like Norovirus.... you won't be eating steak sandwiches. Again, not everyone goes ashore at the same time.

The food options up at the Lido were very limited even at 11:00... only sandwiches and potato chips. Why couldn't the kitchens be opened early to accommodate the port schedule? The lines at the lido were ridiculous and people were very agitated.

I don't belive this at all. If the lido was open at 11 then they WERE open early to accommodate the port schedue. If you went to order room service at 11 o'clocck then you obiously did not wait around to see what was being offered in the Lido but in twenty years I have NEVER seen HAL offer just sandwiches and potato chips.

Similarly all aboard in Juneau was after 10:00. The only food available at that time was room service. So 2,000 hungry people clogged the room service line right at 10:00.

No, this is simply not true. I have done some 16 cruises to Asaska, the most recent on the WESTERDAM in May. The 2,000 people you talk about were most likely on board for first and second sitting in the dining room, Pinnacle, Lido etc and by 10 pm had already finished their meals.

Those passengers who stayed ashore most likely also had dinner ashore. So who was ashore, coming back at saailing time that did not have their supper? Perhaps a few hanging out at the Red Dog Saloon. So, no 2,000 people clogging the line. I'm not saying there was no delay. There probably was because that time of night is busy and they do not have dozens of stewards standing around waiting to serve up orders for room service.

I sat on hold for 15 minutes before my order was taken. My brother called a few minutes later and waited almost 30 minutes. I was told 45 minutes for delivery, but it was delivered an hour.

So it was fifteen minutes late. Big deal.

After a few minutes a different beverage server came and told us that wine flights were several "very small" glasses of wine (very small were his words) and we said that we knew what it was, that's why we ordered them!

When the first set of wines came out... boy was very small right. These were maybe one ounce pours. There was not enough wine in the glass to cover the tongue when you sipped it. I don't know if this is standard for HAL or if he was pouring extra small to make a point.

But you said that you knew that the wine flight was several small glasses

of wine?

Several small glasses. Yes, but in the end you pay the same as what a single large glass would cost, but have the enjoyment fo tasting serveral wine. Or did you expect lots of wine for free?

again, but I am definitely going to use a different cruise line this time.

Well, good luck.

What do you guys thing? Is this odd for HAL? quote]

Finally - from the heavens - the voice of reason:D

I already made my comment too many threads back and really didn't think there was anything to complain about but as I said each to their own.

thank you Stephen - I haven't done Alaska - so I couldn't comment on some of the little details - you did this so well:):)

Nope - that's how it usually goes on a cruise - Wow - when we do our transatlantic in May - should I complain that the clocks went forward and lunch wasn't served at 11:rolleyes: I don't think so. Great reply

I think the O.P's expectations were not met, and like everyone else s/he is entitled to their opinion.

Just because many long time posters here have nothing but happy experiences on their many HAL cruises does not mean everyone shared these experiences and to the O.P. their complaints are valid.

I wasn't there and the O.P. was. It was their cruise and they were disappointed.

I think it's too bad their expectations were not met, wish them well in their future travels and thank them for sharing.

The OP is definitely entitled to their opinon and I too wish them well - I wish them luck in having their expectations met on any line.:D

The problem with these types of threads is that the OP started out by having what could be viewed as valid complaints. But then asked "What do you guys think? Is this odd for HAL? Am I being overly picky?" The OP asked for opinions and then when everyone didn't agree that these complaints would make for a disappointing cruise, the OP became defensive and then had to go find more things to complain about validating their disappointment and therefore to me they just came across as a whiner. The exaggerations didn't help either. I am sure 2000 people weren't trying to eat in the Lido at the same time and that 2000 people weren't all dialing room service at the same time either. To me, this made their complaint less valid and who knows what else they exaggerated about.

I personally don't think that all of these would have added to a disappointing cruise for me but we all have different levels of expectations about customer service. And sometimes once you've had one bad situation, all you can see is bad service from then on. I know that has happened to me. A couple of things go wrong and from then on it seems nothing is right.

I've cruised HAL, NCL, Celebrity, RCCL, Carnival and Princess. If I really went digging for things that weren't perfect, I would probably never cruise again as all these cruises had some things that didn't go right. We've just learned to deal with the major ones and let the others slide. Otherwise, we would never be happy on a cruiseship.

For the op - here's my definition of a bad cruise

Horrible food in the MDR - by the time that the waiter comes back to see if we were happy - everyone else has finished their meal - my plate is full - so, I say I will skip desert - could I just have a salad while they have desert? - no! so I left the MDR hungry as I was not going to force the table to watch me eat. This was not one night - it was 5:eek:

So I go to the Lido to get a bite - and there is hair in my food - lost my appetite.

Breakfast - waiters carried around juices - no choice other than what was on the tray - no fresh squeezed oj - no nothing - the juices they had I can't drink - so I got no juice.

I won't go on any longer - suffice it to say I lost 5 pounds on that cruise. (and really didn't need to). when I got off I swore the next one would be HAL - btw - it was Celebrity:) so you see, things happen no matter what line you go on - we each colour it with our own experience.

btw - I did write and got no reply. At least HAL has the courtesy to send one.

Things happen for no reason. DH didn't like his meal but forced it down. I'm a fairly decent cook and if the food isn't good, I don't eat it.

Smooth seas:) Stuff happens on every line, every ship - the difference between this cruise and HAL is that I was roadblocked everywhere to resolve it. I've never been road blocked on HAL:D

(Banging head on desk)

I can NOT believe that you based CDN/USD exchange on the ridiculous prices that Canadians have to pay for books.

HA HA HA HA !! Best laugh I've had all day!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hysterical!

I am with you on this one wallyboag, I think you got lousy service. I am sorry to see that HAL is still double charging for items that are pre-ordered. By this time they should be able to charge customers once, and only once, for unlimited laundry or other pre-ordered items. Double charging makes me wonder if HAL is deliberately trying to pad their revenue.

I don't think HAL is deliberately trying to pad their revenue with double charges. I know one one of my cruises, there was another passenger with my name on board. And to make matters worse, I was in cabin 1002 and she was in cabin 10002. It wasn't so much a case of deliberate double charging, just issues with the cabin numbers and names. Computer errors happen, I took my receipts to the front desk and everything was solved by the time I got my final bill. Yes, it did take until the last day to get everything straightened out, but it was corrected by the time I settled my account.

I have also been charged for "gifts" or prepaid items if I did not sign and return the forms in my cabin upon checkin. Once I returned the cards, everything was straightened out. Stuff happens all the time. If you head to the front desk, they are very good about fixing it, though often it takes longer than we would prefer.

Here is a horrible cruise:

Old ship with plenty of rust covered with layers of bubbling paint, English food, 132 sq ft cabins with whimpy A/C traveling across the equator back and forth, last minute scheduling changes, two person "entertainment" crew, weak drinks, lousy ginger beer, repetitive menus, no wrap around walking deck chairs, little shade, plastic deck heavy seas, expensive doctor calls, everyone coughing, tatty items in the ship shop, dreadful bathroom, no ventilation, pirates, and closed portholes.

Yet, we loved every minute of this trip and signed up again for another one on the same ship, will always love this ship and be willing to let it take us anywhere that HAL cannot.

For proof of the subjectivity of the cruise experience the range of CC review for this ship go constantly from one star to five stars. And guess what, it also has an extremely high repeat passenger ranking. So there you have it. Gotta find the right mix for the right sailor. :cool:

No need to call anyone, just flag down your steward and get two. Then let him know he should leave one for each full one he picks up while doing the cabin.

You can go to the housekeeping office and get one. I have done that a few times. Just stop by and ask for what you need, they either hand it to you then and there or send the next available steward to deliver it to your room. No big deal.

Look at the thread's title: "Westerdam: I Hope the Cruise was the Exception for HAL, Not the Rule". Apparently it is not the rule - for the majority of the posters on this thread.

The OP goes on and asks: "Am I being overly picky? Should I write a letter?". And people have responded to that, mostly with "yes" and "yes".;)

I keep seeing Inspector Clouseau,being summoned to the room to investigate a moldy chocolate covered strawberry. He gingerly picks it up with tweezers puts it in a bag, but eats it in the elevator on the way to forensics.

I have to give this one to OP. Seeing a moldy chocolate covered strawberry on the floor the first time you occupy a room might lead you to question if other more critical areas of the room were done haphazardly. While it wouldn't have ruined my cruise I would have found it a little disturbing.

ChelseaSailor

Here is a horrible cruise:

Old ship with plenty of rust covered with layers of bubbling paint, English food, 132 sq ft cabins with whimpy A/C traveling across the equator back and forth, . :cool:

Come on.... what ship? Chandris? Sitmar? P&O? Shaw Savill & Albion?

AKA... Slow Starvation & Agony ?????

Stephen

In those days? Boiled fat with boiled veg all served up in steaming suet. Yum? ;)

When was the last time you were in England? Yes, you can still get a "fried slice" at breakfast, and yes, waiters still want to pour full-fat cream over desserts like cake. But there are lots of options for good and healthy food in English restaurants, and have been for quite some time. And you don't have to go high-end. A lot of pubs have discovered that there's more to food than fish & chips with mushy peas.

That comment is another show a show of ignorance.

Sorry, but it's true. Just ask my mother and grandmother (who learned to cook "English style" during the thirties & forties). Perhaps you're just too young to remember....

When was the last time you were in England? Yes, you can still get a "fried slice" at breakfast, and yes, waiters still want to pour full-fat cream over desserts like cake. But there are lots of options for good and healthy food in English restaurants, and have been for quite some time. And you don't have to go high-end. A lot of pubs have discovered that there's more to food than fish & chips with mushy peas.

No one was talking about current English cuisine....

What is the problem with English food?

Merely descriptive of the meat and potatoes, sticky puddings, bread doughy "sausages", Sunday roasts and beans for breakfast menus. There was plenty of good food choices over all, but the dinner menus and many buffet offerings were distinctly British. Worst of all were the delicious 4pm British tea offerings that were so good they killed any appetite for dinner later. :cool:

Archived