Special lounge First Class passsengers

lovevacadays

United First Class domestic flights can use the United Clubs.

I didn't think you could with a United domestic FC ticket, but looking at the website, it appears a FC ticket gets you in. Wondering if that is a recent change, because you didn't used to be able to.

I didn't think you could with a United domestic FC ticket, but looking at the website, it appears a FC ticket gets you in. Wondering if that is a recent change, because you didn't used to be able to.

You're right, you didn't used to get access with just a domestic F ticket. One of the many changes after 03/03 merger with CO. However, just try to find space in one now.

OP I don't know of any special clubs just for F domestic passengers. Almost all airlines sell passes to their lounges for any passengers. Some of them are dumps. Some are o.k. I would never purchase an F domestic ticket just to get lounge access.

Some of them do got certain transcontinental flights - usually between JFK and LAX/SFO.

Now for international first class look at the Lufthansa First Class Teminal in Frankfurt, BA's Concorde Room at Heathow, Thai in Bangkok, Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong, Qantas in Sydney

Do most airlines have a special lounge for first class passengers? What can you tell me about these lounges?

AA has a few Flagship lounges (JFK, LAX, ORD, LHR) which are restricted to first class (NO business class or elite status customers EXCEPT those with an international flight). BUT you cannot use the Flagship lounge on ANY domestic ticket EXCEPT a PAID or AWARD (no upgrades) on a 3 class transcon flight.

There are Admiral's Clubs at about 40 locations around the world. Again, first class domestic passengers DO NOT get access except on the transcons (BUT you can fly the 2 class transcon and get access to the AC).

So if you are looking for an airline "home" do not make your decision dependent on the lounge UNLESS you are flying a lot of international flights, have top tier elite status or are willing to pay for a membership (either 30 day or annual). If the majority of your flights are domestic, even in first class, you will rarely be allowed entry into the lounge just by virtue of your first class ticket.

This topic comes up from time to time on the FT site. There is a teeny, tiny footnote "e" on the UA Lounge Access website that gets missed by a lot of people. I think some browsers or tablets may not show the footnote at all.

Re: First class access to lounges:

e. Travel within the U.S. (including Hawaii and Guam) in United First or United Business is not eligible

What a disappointment! I really thought I could sit in comfort with my First class ticket. Because of the timing of my ride, I will be at IAH 4 hours early. Any suggestions on where to go for a little more comfortable wait? Maybe a nice restaurant where I can eat and eat really slow?:rolleyes:

This topic comes up from time to time on the FT site. There is a teeny, tiny footnote "e" on the UA Lounge Access website that gets missed by a lot of people. I think some browsers or tablets may not show the footnote at all.

Re: First class access to lounges:

e. Travel within the U.S. (including Hawaii and Guam) in United First or United Business is not eligible

The wording is a bit ambiguous so does this forbid those who are connecting to/from same-day international flights from using the lounge?

The wording is a bit ambiguous so does this forbid those who are connecting to/from same-day international flights from using the lounge?

Assuming no Star Gold status, arriving in C or F from international flight and connecting to UA domestic. Generally this traveler would be admitted on the basis of the international flight, but this might not be uniformly allowed; often depends upon the staff member at the desk. The lounges are thought of as being departure lounges rather than arrivals lounges.

Admission to a United Club is generally granted in the reverse scenario - first flight is domestic connecting to an international flight in C or F. Example: LAX-ORD-LHR. Traveler would have club access in LAX and ORD, so I would assume the reverse scenario you decribed would work.

On Delta, you can use the Skyclub after arriving from an international business elite flight -

Bold mine

Customers traveling in BusinessElite on an international Delta flight or a domestic Delta flight connecting to/from a same-day international Delta flight* in BusinessElite or travel in international First/Business Class on a SkyTeam-operated flight. (In order to qualify for Club access, the customer must be confirmed in the premium (first or business class) cabin for the international segment of their itinerary.)

Assuming no Star Gold status, arriving in C or F from international flight and connecting to UA domestic. Generally this traveler would be admitted on the basis of the international flight, but this might not be uniformly allowed; often depends upon the staff member at the desk. The lounges are thought of as being departure lounges rather than arrivals lounges.

Admission to a United Club is generally granted in the reverse scenario - first flight is domestic connecting to an international flight in C or F. Example: LAX-ORD-LHR. Traveler would have club access in LAX and ORD, so I would assume the reverse scenario you decribed would work.

Star Alliance Gold status from a non-US carrier (e.g., Air Canada) also provides you with access even when flying domestically. If is only the United and US Star Golds members that unfortunately do not get access.

You can buy a lounge pass for $50 but it's one-time one-person (not even same-day or 24 hr so you can use it at transit points). I think you can buy a lot of drink and food with that (UA lounge food isn't anything to talk about).

More details for those of you who wonder what goes on behind those doors:

The above is true of most airline lounges in the US. I've seen a lot via PriorityPass, although the number of lounges you can access with PriorityPass has dwindled (you used to be able to use all Delta lounges, for example). Now I have the freebie version with my Hilton Amex Surpass card and it's labeled the "Select" version and the list is even more restrictive. I've also been able to use them flying Business on an international itinerary.

Anyway- I love airline lounges for their relative quiet, comfy seating, free W-Fi (sometimes), lack of beeping carts, and the ability to get a glass of wine if it's an appropriate time of day. Typically, but not always, there's no charge for alcohol. In the US, though, "food" may be chips or those tiny imitation bagels or other munchies, depending on time of day. AA's lounges have decent food for sale. If you want a meal, you won't get it unless you buy it.

Lounges in Europe can be much better. In some, you can take a shower after landing in immaculately clean private bathroom cubicles, or take a nap, and you will be very well-fed. There have been a few times DH and I were stuck at Heathrow for 5-6 hours and it was a great retreat from the airport chaos. If the lounge is run by the airline you're flying, the lounge attendants can sometimes do magic with your booking- and you can avoid the horrible queues at "Customer Service".

Our current version costs $28 per person if we use a lounge and I rarely use it in the US because it's not worth it. In Europe it's been a great benefit, especially when things go wrong.

More details for those of you who wonder what goes on behind those doors:

Anyway- I love airline lounges for their relative quiet, comfy seating, free W-Fi (sometimes), lack of beeping carts, and the ability to get a glass of wine if it's an appropriate time of day. Typically, but not always, there's no charge for alcohol. In the US, though, "food" may be chips or those tiny imitation bagels or other munchies, depending on time of day. AA's lounges have decent food for sale. If you want a meal, you won't get it unless you buy it.

If the lounge is run by the airline you're flying, the lounge attendants can sometimes do magic with your booking- and you can avoid the horrible queues at "Customer Service".

Further details, re: Delta Sky Clubs...

Drinks: self serve coffee/cappuccino machine, complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, plus some premium alcohol brands available for a charge (Was in an Admiral's Club (AA) once and believe they charge for all alcohol)

Food: Breakfast isn't bad...mini muffins, bagels, yogurt, oatmeal with toppings. Mid-day/evening: Some selection of baby carrots/hummus, crackers/processed "cheese," trail mix, cookies. There is no add'l food for sale, and you are now allowed to bring food into the Sky Club from concourse food vendors

Wi-Fi: free, but speed can be slow if the lounge is crowded

Noise: can be quiet and relaxing; can also be quiet noisy when full, but still better than the concourse with its constant beeping carts and PA announcements

General comfort: comfortable seating, newspapers, often a TV (usually with sound off) tuned to a news channel or big game, newspapers, very clean restrooms, work cubicles. Internat'l arrivals lounges have showers but I've never used so can't comment

Assistance: As Gloria Mundi said, the lounge agents are usually very good. Upon check in, they let you know your departure gate and if the flight is on time and where you are on the upgrade list, if you need to change your seat or same-day confirm onto another flight they they can handle that, and can rebook you in an irrops situation, etc.

Archived