I am SO conflicted...

RMM34667

Started looking at booking a cruise about a month ago. It's been a rough year and my Dad passed away about 10 weeks ago. My Mom and I were booked on Crown Med for May but had to cancel when we knew how sick my Dad was...

But finally started looking and were considering the Grand or CB in 7 day in Nov. Work got crazy as our small company sold a product to a much much larger company and I was part of the sale. (the details of my new employment may take another 30-60 days) Decided since the future was uncertain to book the 10 day Emerald. (Still had some money saved for the May cruise even after flying in my sons and sister for service. And figured if the trip was booked new company would have to honor it)..

But booked the Cat M GTY.. Thinking I've had luck with that GTY in the past. Mom and I have sailed together in inside cabins and it works great for us. Would love and balcony except I smoke and it would bother me to pay for a balcony only to have to go elsewhere to smoke. So inside or oceanview is perfect.

But now I'm not really sure I'd be happy with a Cat M. I think being on the Plaza deck would be great, but not that far back. So I really want to change.

But then I think I should wait till after final payment. See if I get a cabin assignment and if I don't like it upgrade then. But since it is a holiday sailing I'm worried there will be slim pickings on cabins.

But on the other hand after final payment prices might go down and other cats might open up....

So every day I check the prices (well 5xs a day). But keep telling myself to just wait. But the just wait is killing me!!

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. What a difficult time for you. Hopefully, your job change is a positive move.

Holiday sailings sell out and if you wait, your options get smaller and your chances of a GTY upgrade get slimmer. It's always a gamble but even if you've been upgraded before, that has no bearing on whether you'll be upgraded again.

The best way to be happy with your cabin is to book the one you want. Just because you've booked a specific cabin doesn't mean there isn't a possibility of being upgraded.

Sorry about your father. If you're talking about a Thanksgiving cruise, the 10-day length would keep a lot of families from booking it. We have loved having Plaza Deck cabins. The location is great. You'd be just a flight of stairs away from the Promenade Deck for your cigarette fix.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds as if there is a lot of life change and uncertainty in your life. I know that this may sound trivial, but I firmly believe that in stressful times, we must do whatever we can to control the things that we can control. It gives us one less uncertainty to worry about. Obviously, your cabin selection is giving you cause to think, and overthink. My advice, such as it is, is to take control of the situation and eliminate the uncertainty so that you can focus on other things. Pick a cabin that you will find acceptable and stick with it. It may not be your dream cabin. It may not be your absolute first choice. But pick one that you know you will be satisfied with and put it in your back pocket and move on to other things. I would not want to mess around with "musical cabins" on a holiday cruise. Perhaps 30-60 days before you sail, you can contact Princess (or your TA) and see if there is anything available. But only do that after you are satisfied that if the answer is "no", you will still be thrilled with what you have.

Best of luck moving forward.

I remember reading your post about your dad dieing and having to cancel your cruise. I'm so sorry about your loss, and I'm happy that you can have a new cruise to cheer you and your mom up. I'd say with all you've been through and the fact that you're conflicted about the Inside, splurge, and book a stateroom that sounds exciting to you. It'll boost your spirits. Take care, and happy sailing!

I am really sorry for your loss. I know how hard that is. My mom and I now take a big trip each year with one another to honour my late father. It is a wonderful tradition that we have established. We bring back a rock from where ever we have gone to place on his headstone at Arlington... This brings a great deal of comfort to the both of us.

First, I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. What a difficult time for you. Hopefully, your job change is a positive move.

Holiday sailings sell out and if you wait, your options get smaller and your chances of a GTY upgrade get slimmer. It's always a gamble but even if you've been upgraded before, that has no bearing on whether you'll be upgraded again.

The best way to be happy with your cabin is to book the one you want. Just because you've booked a specific cabin doesn't mean there isn't a possibility of being upgraded.

I agree with Pam. I rarely book guarantees. I know they can be a bit cheaper than booking a specific cabin but in your uncertain times it might be a good idea; even if you have to book a lesser category to have some certainty

Started looking at booking a cruise about a month ago. It's been a rough year and my Dad passed away about 10 weeks ago. My Mom and I were booked on Crown Med for May but had to cancel when we knew how sick my Dad was...

But finally started looking and were considering the Grand or CB in 7 day in Nov. Work got crazy as our small company sold a product to a much much larger company and I was part of the sale. (the details of my new employment may take another 30-60 days) Decided since the future was uncertain to book the 10 day Emerald. (Still had some money saved for the May cruise even after flying in my sons and sister for service. And figured if the trip was booked new company would have to honor it)..

But booked the Cat M GTY.. Thinking I've had luck with that GTY in the past. Mom and I have sailed together in inside cabins and it works great for us. Would love and balcony except I smoke and it would bother me to pay for a balcony only to have to go elsewhere to smoke. So inside or oceanview is perfect.

But now I'm not really sure I'd be happy with a Cat M. I think being on the Plaza deck would be great, but not that far back. So I really want to change.

But then I think I should wait till after final payment. See if I get a cabin assignment and if I don't like it upgrade then. But since it is a holiday sailing I'm worried there will be slim pickings on cabins.

But on the other hand after final payment prices might go down and other cats might open up....

So every day I check the prices (well 5xs a day). But keep telling myself to just wait. But the just wait is killing me!!

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I certainly understand. In December of 2009 I lost my mom to liver disease. Ten months later I lost my very best friend to ALS and had my other very close friend diagnosed with Alzheimers. My heartful suggestion to you is to not leave things to chance since so many things in life can't be controlled. I would pick a cabin that you would be happy with no matter the category and take that off your mind in these challenging times for you. I sincerely wish you strength.

I am really sorry for your loss. I know how hard that is. My mom and I now take a big trip each year with one another to honour my late father. It is a wonderful tradition that we have established. We bring back a rock from where ever we have gone to place on his headstone at Arlington... This brings a great deal of comfort to the both of us.

Wow. That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

There will always be should have's! However I am a believer in..."live like you were dieing" If you dont get the cabin you really want you will always wonder if it would have been....any number of things. Your dad would say go for it and have a great time and no looking back or questioning whether you made the right choice. As others have said it will be one to remember with MOM!:)

OP. So sorry to hear of your loss. And of all your work changes , in time things will settle down , and you will find your way. As previous poster said , pick a cabin you can live with , book it with the upgrade ok option , and maybe you will get lucky, but if you don't you still will be satisfied with the cabin you have. Also I noticed that you said you are a smoker , you might want to check out the new (somewhat) smoking policy on Princess, I saw that when we booked our cruise coming up in Dec. when I checked into the cruise personalizer, don't know if it will make a difference in your cabin choice but it might.

Cori

RM34667 - also sorry to hear of your loss. I know from experience that a cruise after all the stress and life changes can be a really refreshing and life-giving experience.

With all that is going on you may want to reduce stress and book a specific cabin that you like, as opposed to waiting for the guarantee assignment.

We learned from our TA that once a guarantee booking's cabin is assigned, one may change to any other available cabin in that same category with no problem. Thus if your initial assignment is, say, towards the bow of the ship in category X and there is a category X cabin available closer to the smoking areas, you can have your TA or Princess (if booked direct) change the assignment. This does take you out of the guarantee pool for any further upgrade, but you retain the guarantee price. Obviously this is not a stress-free option that you can rely on, but it may be an option if you already have a cabin assignment.

Thank you all for the condolences and advice. I do agree. I need to pick a cabin I will be happy with. I am watching every day (but that part I do enjoy!) I have no problem upgrading myself if I don't like what is assigned. And if I don't an assigment soon I'll just pick one!

The job situation is both scary and exciting. As soon as the public announcement is made I can explain. But for now I can only tell my cat!!

Again thanks..

Archived