Room Stewards

AKman2495

I did a quick search foe this and, as usual, I found the question had been already answered for NCL.

The question is this, for Princess, how many rooms does one steward work? Does anyone know if that varies based on the size of ship?

I did a quick search foe this and, as usual, I found the question had been already answered for NCL.

The question is this, for Princess, how many rooms does one steward work? Does anyone know if that varies based on the size of ship?

I seem to remember that it was 18.

On our last Princess cruise our steward said he had 16, 4 full suites and 12 other cabins.

They are allotted double the amount of time to clean the suites because of the size and changing the sheets daily rather than every third day.

My only long experience are Princess cruises and their stewards. It must be one of the toughest jobs out there. I'll never forget our first cruise when I didn't know what to expect. We got dressed for dinner, left the cabin at about 8 pm and went to the elevator, I noticed that I forgot my camera, I walked back to the cabin to get the camera and I think I was gone only 5 minutes. When I returned to my cabin it was all done for the evening, beds made, bathroom cleaned, chocolates on the pillow, lights adjusted, garbage gone, I just couldn't believe it. I think in the older days the stewards had fewer cabins and had more time to take care of you. Lately, the cabins are not made up so fast.

My only long experience are Princess cruises and their stewards. It must be one of the toughest jobs out there. I'll never forget our first cruise when I didn't know what to expect. We got dressed for dinner, left the cabin at about 8 pm and went to the elevator, I noticed that I forgot my camera, I walked back to the cabin to get the camera and I think I was gone only 5 minutes. When I returned to my cabin it was all done for the evening, beds made, bathroom cleaned, chocolates on the pillow, lights adjusted, garbage gone, I just couldn't believe it. I think in the older days the stewards had fewer cabins and had more time to take care of you. Lately, the cabins are not made up so fast.

It goes to show just how much effort they expend on each cabin.

On our Christmas cruise, we were in a suite on the Dolphin deck which was all minisuites and a few insides. Every cabin - even insides had four people in them (a few had three ). The service from the cabin steward was terrible - never had to wait so long for the cabin to be cleaned. He was there almost all day cleaning. He made a comment that he had about twice as many people as other stewards with balcony cabins. I felt sorry for him - Doesn't Princess realize this??? He was always in a lousy mood and again, I don't blame him but for what we paid for that suite - it wasn't fair to us. I walked past some of the cabins when the doors were open - what a mess - bags and stuff all over the cabin. How can you do a good job cleaning a room in such a mess. And he had to bring a ladder in to do the bunks. I'm surprised he didn't jump ship.

We tell the stewards not to bother doing the evening turndown etc. They make the bed in the morning as if it were evening ( minus candy) and if we need towels we just swap them out when we catch them in the hall. One less thing for them to do and I feel that as adults we can keep our room tidy. We do at home so why not on a cruise? Takes minutes to pick things up and put them away.

I walked past some of the cabins when the doors were open - what a mess - bags and stuff all over the cabin. How can you do a good job cleaning a room in such a mess.

This has often made me wonder as well, when I have walked by rooms and you can hardly see the floor. How does one find anything is such a state? Do their homes look this way as well? I could not stay in a messy room.

I also keep our room as neat as possible. I leave nothing out on the counters. I also have told them not to change the bed everyday but they don't listen so I started just making the bed and told them to change it when I DON'T make it.

When our son was small, we use to meet friends and relatives at hotels (with the big pools) for fun weekends. We usually had a cooler along and lots of snacks but again, you look into some of the rooms that are pool side and it looked like three families were staying there. There probably was - they made it a cheap weekend tat way.

One of two things may be the case:

1. Some people are always untidy. :eek:

2. Some people know that someone else will do the cleaning and the Cabin Stewards are not complainers.

I think Cabin Stewards do have one of the most difficult jobs onboard. I hope these people who are extremely untidy tip their Cabin Steward really well. I am saying in addition to the auto-tip.

18 unless they have a group of full suites it will be a few less.

This is why I feel so strongly that the autotip for a suite passenger should be more than 50 cents more than a regular stateroom. We once had a cabin right across from the suites on Riviera Deck, and the steward spent twice as much time cleaning their suite as our inside cabin. If they are allotted double the time for $0.50 per passenger, that's quite unfair.

And I know from personally speaking with the stewards that they really hate being assigned suites.

On our last Princess cruise B2B (mini suite) our cabin steward ask us the next to the last day if it would be all right for him to take care of the extra things he normally does between sailing ahead of time because he was going to have so many people on his next. He had 18 cabins but seems there were mostly two passengers per cabin on the first sailing. On the upcoming there were many of his cabins that had 3 or 4 people. The number of people per cabin seems to be a big factor too.

He also commented that while we always kept our cabin neat, not everyone did. :rolleyes:

This is why I feel so strongly that the autotip for a suite passenger should be more than 50 cents more than a regular stateroom. We once had a cabin right across from the suites on Riviera Deck, and the steward spent twice as much time cleaning their suite as our inside cabin. If they are allotted double the time for $0.50 per passenger, that's quite unfair.

And I know from personally speaking with the stewards that they really hate being assigned suites.

I have mixed feelings about that. We book suites and as I said before, I put everything away so it doesn't take much time. And since there is more room to move around, it is easy to get around in the suite whereas it is pretty tight in some of the other cabins. That daily tip is shared by many people so the room steward only gets a small amount of it. If you add 50 cents a day, the steward probably wouldn't get 5 cents. I have seen them spend twice as much time in cabins around us. We leave a very nice tip the last day. Maybe everyone isn't like us but there are people in every category cabin that don't leave much of a tip and then some leave very nice tips. We pay more than four times as much as insides so I think that is more than enough.

I have mixed feelings about that. We book suites and as I said before, I put everything away so it doesn't take much time. And since there is more room to move around, it is easy to get around in the suite whereas it is pretty tight in some of the other cabins. That daily tip is shared by many people so the room steward only gets a small amount of it. If you add 50 cents a day, the steward probably wouldn't get 5 cents. I have seen them spend twice as much time in cabins around us. We leave a very nice tip the last day. Maybe everyone isn't like us but there are people in every category cabin that don't leave much of a tip and then some leave very nice tips. We pay more than four times as much as insides so I think that is more than enough.

Of course they spend more time in the Suites. The bathroom alone in the Suites probably takes as much time as an inside/outside or balcony cabin all together.

While suite people do pay more for their cabin, tips are separate and IMO, should be increased for mini suite and suite individuals. These cabins require more time. A room steward probably gets at most $4 a day pp for cleaning these rooms. What a bargain!

Of course they spend more time in the Suites. The bathroom alone in the Suites probably takes as much time as an inside/outside or balcony cabin all together.

While suite people do pay more for their cabin, tips are separate and IMO, should be increased for mini suite and suite individuals. These cabins require more time. A room steward probably gets at most $4 a day pp for cleaning these rooms. What a bargain!

I really have to disagree with you. We have booked every category of cabins. When we book a suite, we don't use any more towels, so don't have to replace. We are very neat, so no picking up after us. We rarely have meals in our room, so no taking out dishes. There is more space in a suite, but that is about it.

Tell me again why my tips should be more. We always leave extra tips no matter what cabin we have.

Just don't see your logic.

Archived