One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

sweetpea222

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this thread. I always travel with just a carry-on suitcase and a reasonable size tote (Eagle Creek) that fits over the extended suitcase handle. My suitcase weighs 6 lb empty and 18-19 lb packed. It is an international legal 20" non expandable wheeled bag. I usually take 2 week cruises and extend them for a week or so, so total travel time is three to four weeks. I take two pairs of shoes, wear one and pack one. My favorite brand is Naot (see Zappos.com) Naot shoes are expensive, but are incredible for walking, even a full day of walking on cobbles. They have incredible cushioning, even in the dressier styles. I don't need other "walking shoes" or dressier shoes. My formal night attire is a skirt and top or pants and top of lightweight dressier fabric. I vary the looks with lightweight silk scarves and a bit of jewelry. I don't pack jeans or cotton and have invested in travel tops from Ex Officio, coordinating with black and one or two accent colors. I don't find I get bored with these travel clothes because it is all very much mix and match. To keep warm outdoors I will layer - shell, black travel cardigan, quality lightweight fleece vest or primaloft vest (LLBean) and black hooded raincoat 3/4 length. Last summer in Europe I took a shorter very packable rain jacket instead of the 3/4 length and it worked well for the two days it rained. I consider the weight of each item and how it will coordinate. The newer travel fabrics are extremely comfortable, breathable and wash well in a hotel or stateroom sink.

You are probably asking why I do all of this. The reason is that having less luggage means more freedom when traveling. Exploring new places and meeting new people is the best part of travel. I don't worry about my stuff and how best to pack it around.

First of all, I would like to thank all of the posters for their great input. I have been lurking on this thread and have seen lots of good ideas. I want to pack as light as I can but still make suire I have the clothes that I will want and need.But I'm still struggling. My DH and I are taking a TA from Rome in Dec. We are going to spend several days in Rome before we board the ship. Here are my concerns:

Shoes - most articles recomend two pair of walking shoes in case one gets wet and to let the leather rest. I will want a pair of dress shoes to wear for dinner and sandles for Bermuda. FL and any warmer ports ie Gibralter. I can't figure out how to cut that down.

Pants - Black cords, black silky, black cotton, black wool. Too many, not enough? 1 Black and 1 white crop pants.

Tops and sweaters I have figured out. I can mix and match. Silky tops for formal nights.

Should I take a swimming suit or is that just a waste of space considering the time of year?

Any advice is appreciated.

PS I am in my late 60's and more than a little "fluffy" I won't be able to find clothing if I don't bring it but decide I need it.

Thanks again!

First of all, I would like to thank all of the posters for their great input. I have been lurking on this thread and have seen lots of good ideas. I want to pack as light as I can but still make suire I have the clothes that I will want and need.But I'm still struggling. My DH and I are taking a TA from Rome in Dec. We are going to spend several days in Rome before we board the ship. Here are my concerns:

Shoes - most articles recomend two pair of walking shoes in case one gets wet and to let the leather rest. I will want a pair of dress shoes to wear for dinner and sandles for Bermuda. FL and any warmer ports ie Gibralter. I can't figure out how to cut that down.

Pants - Black cords, black silky, black cotton, black wool. Too many, not enough? 1 Black and 1 white crop pants.

Tops and sweaters I have figured out. I can mix and match. Silky tops for formal nights.

Should I take a swimming suit or is that just a waste of space considering the time of year?

PS I am in my late 60's and more than a little "fluffy" I won't be able to find clothing if I don't bring it but decide I need it.

Thanks again!

I wear hiking shoes that are waterproof. They are both comfortable and durable.

Shak

If it were me, I'd take two pairs of walking shoes, one closed and one a sandal that you could wear for your warmer ports. Plus one pair of dress shoes. If you wear one pair, you're only packing two...

My thoughts only (yours may differ) but I don't like to travel with cords. They seem to pick up lint and are also on the heavy side for packing. If you are worried about being cold, how about just tossing in a lightweight pair of silk thermal underwear?

Totally up to you; it doesn't take up much room as long as you don't also need to pack a coverup, flip flops, etc that you aren't already bringing. If it were me, I'd skip it. I'm often traveling off-season on cruises in Europe and I haven't used a bathing suit in ages. But it sounds like you have some warmer-weather ports at the end.

Thanks again!

See my thoughts above.

Thanks again!

I think you've done great. If you don't want the cords to pick up lint in your suitcase, pack them inside out. Take a small lint brush with you in case you pick up lint after you've worn them once. I would take a swimsuit in case you want to go to the spa, use the hot tub, or wear it in FL or Bermuda. It won't take up much room.

I hope you have an awesome trip!:D

PNW, great insights.

May I ask where you found the raincoats, both lengths? My daughter's college internship in Eastern Europe begins in a few weeks and she will need outerwear.

Thanks!

Two very different raincoats - both from LL Bean.

3/4 length hooded black raincoat is Bean's H2Off. It is lightweight and comfortable. Mine looks good in-city - is not a wilderness style. Bean has these both in the regular and the sale section.

2nd raincoat is a jacket and extremely lightweight - hip length, Beans' Stowaway model. This is a basic totally waterproof and breathable jacket; folds up tiny in luggage.

I invest in good raincoats - in the Pacific NW they are almost daily necessities!

1 pair of walking shoes is sufficient. It you make them a pair of water resistant shoes (ie with Gore Tex) or go in the other direction with water friendly shoes which dry quickly, you'll be fine if caught out in the rain. For dress shoes, sandals usually pack down better than pumps.

I'd skip the cords. From what I recall, they take up a lot of room when folded.

If you have a kitchen scale, weigh your clothing individually. The larger a garment is, the more percentile of space it will take in a 20" carry-on. What a 5 foot tall size 0 woman can pack is not the same as what a 5'10" man can pack into the same bag. Weighing your clothing and figuring out what packs down better is key to getting a more pieces into that bag. Also key is what you must leave out because it is too heavy or big, especially if your carry-on is subject to a weight limit. Perhaps you will want to pack the extra pair of shoes and buy toiletries when you arrive.

You might also want to weigh your carry-on bag empty if your airline has a weight limit. I try to buy the lightest bags possible as I have a hard time hefting too much weight over my head and travel on carriers which do have carry-on weight limits (ie Singapore, Lufthansa, BA, Qantas - basically many carriers which are not UA, AA, DL). The weight can go from 6 lbs to 10 lbs for a few extra features. You probably don't need a suiter, for instance.

Edited by travelpeon

For those of you off to Paris - this link may have some info for you - it's a whole other world of travel advice reading aimed at women :)

http://journeywoman.com/gfc/100-paris-tips/research-films-books.html

Personally I'm off to New Zealand next month and it'll be winter and I'm attempting to travel light. Every trip I cut down a little - China last year I got down to 15kgs (I'm a chronic - oh-no-I'm-overweight-bag-is-bursting overpacker) but still not at carryon league! One trip at a time :o

Check this site for some inspiration for France, other sections have different countries eg Italy etc.

http://travelfashiongirl.com/category/packing-lists/international-packing-lists/page/3/

http://travelfashiongirl.com/?s=Paris

The Vivienne Files are also full of information. This link may work

http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?blog=3894825&group=0&frame_type=b&link=aHR0cDovL3RoZXZpdmllbm5lZmlsZXMuYmxvZ3Nwb3Quc2U&frame=1&click=0&user=0

The NZ one is here, but may not be so useful

http://travelfashiongirl.com/?s=New+Zealand

Sandy in Spain

Other destination clothes lists can be found on Facebook under Travel Fashiion Girl. Smart Women Traveler.com also has a facebook entry with some interesting stuff

Sandy in Spain

Sandy in Spain

Thanks Sandy - that's the site I've been using for a couple years to help me plan and I credit all my culling success thus far to that site :)

The fact that it will be a cold wet winter while I'm there and I know I suffer from the cold I know I won't make it in carry on with our 7kg weight limits but it's only 10 days and I have car hire and I'll be cruising home so no need to stress too much this trip but it will be good practice!

Edited by madelk

For those of you off to Paris - this link may have some info for you - it's a whole other world of travel advice reading aimed at women :)

http://journeywoman.com/gfc/100-paris-tips/research-films-books.html

Personally I'm off to New Zealand next month and it'll be winter and I'm attempting to travel light. Every trip I cut down a little - China last year I got down to 15kgs (I'm a chronic - oh-no-I'm-overweight-bag-is-bursting overpacker) but still not at carryon league! One trip at a time :o

thank you so much for the journeywoman site !!

wow so much to read !!! ;)

Check this site for some inspiration for France, other sections have different countries eg Italy etc.

http://travelfashiongirl.com/category/packing-lists/international-packing-lists/page/3/

http://travelfashiongirl.com/?s=Paris

The Vivienne Files are also full of information. This link may work

http://www.bloglovin.com/frame?blog=3894825&group=0&frame_type=b&link=aHR0cDovL3RoZXZpdmllbm5lZmlsZXMuYmxvZ3Nwb3Quc2U&frame=1&click=0&user=0

Sandy in Spain

i really enjoyed the travelfashion site -

ended opening up about 15 articles !!

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to challenge myself to pack everything for our 7 day trip to Niagara Falls in a rolling carry-on. We leave tomorrow and I think I have done it. This exercise made me realize that I really do over pack. For our last cruise (13 day trip) I brought 2 full size suit cases, a rolling carry-on, a duffle bag, and a tote bag. That was just for my stuff. :eek:

This time I wrote up a clothing plan, stuck to one color scheme, and limited the shoes and accessories. For clothing I am bringing 1 dress, 1 pair of black pants that convert into capris, a black/white striped maxi skirt, 5 tops, 1 cami's, and three scarves. The only extra thing I am packing is an extra t-shirt. It is Niagara Falls and odds are I will need it when we get done with the Maid of the Mist.

When we return I will let y'all know how I felt with limited options...I think I will be ok. :)

Lisa

I decided to challenge myself to pack everything for our 7 day trip to Niagara Falls in a rolling carry-on. We leave tomorrow and I think I have done it. This exercise made me realize that I really do over pack. For our last cruise (13 day trip) I brought 2 full size suit cases, a rolling carry-on, a duffle bag, and a tote bag. That was just for my stuff. :eek:

This time I wrote up a clothing plan, stuck to one color scheme, and limited the shoes and accessories. For clothing I am bringing 1 dress, 1 pair of black pants that convert into capris, a black/white striped maxi skirt, 5 tops, 1 cami's, and three scarves. The only extra thing I am packing is an extra t-shirt. It is Niagara Falls and odds are I will need it when we get done with the Maid of the Mist.

When we return I will let y'all know how I felt with limited options...I think I will be ok. :)

Lisa

Sounds like you have it all thought out. I need to do this for our next trip. Our last one I took way too much stuff. I think planning your outfits ahead of time and reusing items is key. Would love to hear how you did when you get back. Enjoy your trip!!

We are headed to London next March for a couple of weeks, and will again do carry on only. Planning on two jeans, one black pants, one leggings, one sweater dress, 4-5 tops, one yoga capris and two tops, ballet flats, riding boots, bras/undies and socks, PJ's, a few scarves and some jewelry, coat, sweater, gloves, earmuffs, that will do it.

Lisa,

I'll be looking forward to hearing how it went with the limited clothing and how you liked it. Can't wait to see pictures of the outfits you'll put together!:D

Hope you have an awesome trip!:D Taking the Maid of the Mist into the falls is one of my all time favorite experiences...hope it's the same for you. It was unworldly and mysterious! So amazing!

• 3 weeks later...

Think I got the name wrong, but you all know. I never do more than a carryon and tote or "backpack." Not a "real" one, but a soft pouchy thing that goes on the back that I got years ago and is invaluable. I often take worn underwear and then throw it away. Panties are small and don't take much room, but I do plan to wash some of them. I take about half the number of days. Follow the rule: it goes with two things or doesn't go in the bag. One or two colors that go together. Black and khaki, white and anything. My BEST TIP: short packable skirts from Columbia or other "outdoor" brands. I have three or four and they are cooler than shorts and easier in the bathrooms. Also have pockets with zips. Water bottle is essential; aluminium best. Kindle essential for me plus charger. Phone plus charger. Maybe iPad. wear your heaviest, bulkiest shoes.

love more tips from anyone.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,:),you brought 5 pieces of luggage for a 13 night cruise?:eek:

I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on for any cruise 7 nights or longer.

So 13 nights would still be 2 bags.;)

Hope you had a good trip:)

We also brought 2 checked and 2 carry ons to Europe last year for a 10 day cruise and 3 days pre cruise. One checked was only 22 inches and the other 25 inches. For next fall, doing a 7 day out of Venice, with 3 days in Paris pre and 2 days in Venice post, I want to get that 25 inch down to a 22 inch.

If I do get down to two 22 inch wheeled bags plus 2 carry ons for the 2 of us, should we just carry on the 22 inch wheeled instead of checking them?

We also brought 2 checked and 2 carry ons to Europe last year for a 10 day cruise and 3 days pre cruise. One checked was only 22 inches and the other 25 inches. For next fall, doing a 7 day out of Venice, with 3 days in Paris pre and 2 days in Venice post, I want to get that 25 inch down to a 22 inch.

If I do get down to two 22 inch wheeled bags plus 2 carry ons for the 2 of us, should we just carry on the 22 inch wheeled instead of checking them?

As long as you can put them into the overheads without assistance or hitting someone in the head while doing so, why wouldn't you?

Keep in mind the 3-1-1 rule for liquids, so you need to pack light on your toiletries.

We just returned from Copenhagen/Denmark and had 2 connections each way. Please check your luggage. It took forever to load the planes with everyone trying to stuff their overloaded, large bags into the overhead compartments. When their bags wouldn't fit they would block the aisles until the flight attendants managed to work them in somewhere. Then on the way out they blocked the aisles until they could get their bags back. This delayed all our flights.