Just Found Out There is a Large Group on 1/19/13 Eurodam

blueboro

Just discovered a Gospel Music Celebration is booked on the 1/19/13 Eurodam cruise we booked last week. I called HAL and they gave me the runaround about how many are in this group and how it "won't affect" our cruise. But I found video from previous Gospel Music Celebration cruises and it appears they have nightly concerts in the main showroom, daily sessions (looks like Crows Nest) and I am sure in other areas.

I know they have sailed on HAL before...anybody have experience with this group and how large they are? I found an article from May saying it was sold out but they secured another 50 cabins. I am concerned they will be over half of the passengers. Nothing against gospel music...like some of it myself. But I don't want to be a second-class citizen when I paid full fare. We are a group of 8 and I am thinking we should cancel.

I know that, which is why I said it reads like a charter. This would appear ro be a quite large group with a quite ambitious agenda which will surely impact everyone else on the ship.

I resent that HAL would book others on this ship and not force the group to take a charter.

From reading the article it sounds like events going on in most of the popular areas of the ship day and night. I think I would try to rebook if it were me as I would want to be welcomed to enjoy all the ships activities not feel like an outsider.

Years ago we were on several cruises where the "Groups" did take over the ship. The show lounge was closed most of the day while they had "meetings" there. Lounges were closed for their parties.

Cancel the cruise and book another one for the same date or book the Eurodam at a later cruise.

This is getting ridiculous now. Almost every HAL Caribbean cruise has some kind of group which often takes over public areas of the ship. They are even allowing groups on 14-day cruises. What about the rest of us who are paying for a cruise on which we will not be able to use all the public areas at one time or another. What irks me even more is the fact that they won't tell you ahead of time that there is a large group booked on your cruise.

Unless, of course, you happen to enjoy gospel music.

Even if I wanted to listen to the music I could not unless I am a part of the group. It just really chaps me that they can close certain venues to other passengers and relegate us to 2nd class status.

Just discovered a Gospel Music Celebration is booked on the 1/19/13 Eurodam cruise we booked last week. I called HAL and they gave me the runaround about how many are in this group and how it "won't affect" our cruise. But I found video from previous Gospel Music Celebration cruises and it appears they have nightly concerts in the main showroom, daily sessions (looks like Crows Nest) and I am sure in other areas.

I know they have sailed on HAL before...anybody have experience with this group and how large they are? I found an article from May saying it was sold out but they secured another 50 cabins. I am concerned they will be over half of the passengers. Nothing against gospel music...like some of it myself. But I don't want to be a second-class citizen when I paid full fare. We are a group of 8 and I am thinking we should cancel.

Have you tried calling the # on the Gospel group site and pretend you were thinking of booking? You could ask all the pertinent questions like how many will be in the group, what the daytime and nighttime activities and events will be, etc. Looking at how many singing groups there will be it must be a size able number of pax going. You could learn a lot calling them as if you are interested.

Best to book a cruise longer than 7 days...the chances for a large group diminish with longer cruises.

On one of our Noordam 21 day Collector Cruises, we had a quilting group for one segment...it wasn't that large a group...and wasn't a problem at all. But the really large groups seem to prefer the 7 day cruises.

Best to book a cruise longer than 7 days...the chances for a large group diminish with longer cruises.

On one of our Noordam 21 day Collector Cruises, we had a quilting group for one segment...it wasn't that large a group...and wasn't a problem at all. But the really large groups seem to prefer the 7 day cruises.

I hope you are right about large groups not booking 7+ day cruises. I am booked on the Maasdam 14-day itinerary that has a jazz group on it. I love the itinerary and really don't want to change cruises as there is nothing similar available during that time.

There are 45 different catagories listed on different decks so who knows how many cabins they have to use. By going on the price part of their website you get an idea of how many will be there. If you read their brochure it sounds like they will be the only ones on the cruise.

How does one find out if there are groups on your ship? I've been vey lucky (I guess) with 7 sails and no groups with Princess. We are now booked on another 14 day cruise. Many days at sea. I would hope we do not have something that takes over public spaces!

You well may have sailed with a group and not even known it. Unless it is very large and takes over public spaces or reserves a whole dining seating, most guests don't know the group is aboard.

To learn about possible groups on a cruise, some people google name of ship and date and group names may pop up. They aren't always on the first page so scroll through a few pages.

You well may have sailed with a group and not even known it. Unless it is very large and takes over public spaces or reserves a whole dining seating, most guests don't know the group is aboard.

To learn about possible groups on a cruise, some people google name of ship and date and group names may pop up. They aren't always on the first page so scroll through a few pages.

Probably not one this large. I found a youtube link from a previous cruise and they filled the entire main showroom on one of the Vista class if I am not mistaken. They interviewed particpants and they talked about all of the activities throughout the ship day and night.

We were on a cruise last year with a large group of about 275 and they had daily music shows in the main theatre at 5:30 for about an hour and another show poolside by the Lido nightly at 10:30pm.

Both events were roped off as private parties but a few times I sneaked in the balcony in the main theater and watched their shows with no problem since they were all sitting on the main floor. We also sat at the far end of the Lido pool area and were able to watch/listen to their nightly shows as well without intruding on the group. :)

A group of 275 on a Vista or Signature ship is not a big problem.

A group of 275 on an "S" Class ship would be a larger percentage of total guests and could start to infringe on others free use of all facilities aboard.

I know that, which is why I said it reads like a charter. This would appear ro be a quite large group with a quite ambitious agenda which will surely impact everyone else on the ship.

I resent that HAL would book others on this ship and not force the group to take a charter.

Yes, I also resent that HAL would not force a large group to charter ... and that many public spaces become private space during parts of the day or evening. But ... if HAL got too forceful about requiring a charter, the large group might take their $$$ to another line. Better to hack off the non-group people, as HAL won't lose as much $$$ if they move on to another line.

We were on a cruise last year with a large group of about 275 and they had daily music shows in the main theatre at 5:30 for about an hour and another show poolside by the Lido nightly at 10:30pm. :)

But if this filled up the entire main showroom on a Vista class ship as they appeared to do it is MANY more than 275. Can I post the link that talks about the cruise?

A group of 275 on a Vista or Signature ship is not a big problem.

A group of 275 on an "S" Class ship would be a larger percentage of total guests and could start to infringe on others free use of all facilities aboard.

The problem is finding out how many people there are in a group since HAL refuses to tell your TA or yourself. My TA tried to find out and was told that it is privileged information. I know that you have said that you love the Maasdam and I was looking forward to the ship and the great itinerary. Since I cruise by myself, there are only certain times when HAL offers half decent prices for solos. I have to decide whether to go or not by the middle of October when final payment is due.

Archived