Flight Question

WahooNKS

Only the specific individual can evaluate the factors of convenience and costs for their specific cruise/flight options. Some people value price above all other considerations. Others are willing to pay for convenience. Only you know your own value judgments.

I say "your specific options" because there are SO many different variables, with different airlines, cities, cruise lines and ports that it would be both unfair and inaccurate to make any kind of blanket answer.

Thought problem to warm you up: You have the option of a non-stop flight vs a single connection. What's the value of the non-stop to you? Non-stop vs a double connect? Single connect vs double? Those are the kind of value judgments you need to make and apply to the MIA vs FLL (and PBI) issue.

Thanks?
Sorry, but if you just wanted an answer of "Do XYZ", it wouldn't be fair to you. I don't know your financial situation, your mobility situation, what city you would be flying from (some are easier into one airport vs another), whether you are staying a night or two pre-cruise (and the impact on choice of hotel), and so many other variables.

And even though I shouldn't....in response to Grumpy: There's more to a decision than just price.

If you provide more details, perhaps some more focused answers can come from it.

Thinking...one of the under-appreciated aspects of life. ;)

And even though I shouldn't....in response to Grumpy: There's more to a decision than just price

Yes, like distance...

Or if someone lives in a city where there is nonstop service to MIA but only connecting service to FLL (or vice versa). For example, here in Kansas City, we can fly nonstop to FLL but have to connect (be it in ORD, DFW, ATL, CLT) to get to MIA. Some people are willing to pay a premium to fly nonstop to FLL even if they're leaving out of MIA.

Thanks?

There are so many decisions.

Are you flying in the night before, thus giving you a little extra time to take a shuttle from one city to another?

Are there nonstops from your city (Omaha?) to FLL or MIA? If just one, is that worth maybe paying a bit more for versus connecting in another city?

If there are nonstops from OMA to FLL (not sure), would you rather fly nonstop to FLL and take a shuttle, or have to connect to MIA but not have to take a shuttle?

See, these are things only you can decide. I for one would rather fly in to the city where I am leaving from, but I've never paid to fly to a cruise (always used miles), so price isn't an issue - convenience is. Your situation might be completely different.

Our cruise sails out of Miami. It seems a lot of folks fly into FLL and shuttle to MIA. What's your take on this?

Since you've read the threads, I'm not sure what "take" you're asking about. FLL fares are often cheaper than MIA. The savings has to be weighed against the added time and hassle of ground transportation.

Most people on my previous roll calls (including myself) flew to FLL and then took SAS (or other) transportation to Miami due to the cost. Air flight seemed to be cheaper to fly to FLL (even when adding in the transportation cost of the shuttle to Miami). That was our reason and usually why you will see others doing the same. Also, it seems like the hotels in FLL tend to be cheaper than in Miami (at least the times I've been there). :)

Weigh both scenarios and then opt for what would be best for you...If you want me to decide...I did for my family...and also opted to fly into FLL and used SAS shuttle to POM....Enjoy whatever you decide to do as I'm sure it will also work out great either way too !!

Last year, it was cheaper for us to flying into Fort Lauderdale and spent the night in Fort Lauderdale (free shuttle from airport to hotel).

The next day we had SAS Transportation pick us up for $15 per person and take us to Port of Miami.

We stayed at a hotel in Dania that offered free breakfast.

If we stayed in Miami, we would have had to pay $80 or more for car service to our Miami hotel, pay for breakfast (there aren't many hotels in Miami that offer free breakfast, more selection and nicer hotels in Fort Lauderdale) and pay for a taxi to shuttle us to Port of Miami.

Last year, it was cheaper for us to flying into Fort Lauderdale and spent the night in Fort Lauderdale (free shuttle from airport to hotel).

The next day we had SAS Transportation pick us up for $15 per person and take us to Port of Miami.

We stayed at a hotel in Dania that offered free breakfast.

If we stayed in Miami, we would have had to pay $80 or more for car service to our Miami hotel, pay for breakfast (there aren't many hotels in Miami that offer free breakfast, more selection and nicer hotels in Fort Lauderdale) and pay for a taxi to shuttle us to Port of Miami.

Agree with the above. From Indy, we can fly direct to FLL where

as flying to Miami requires connection and is much more expensive.

We too have a hotel reserved in Dania with airport shuttle and breakfast incl. We are then going to resv a shuttle srv to POM the next morning.

It just depends on what city you are flying from as to if Miami or FLL will be the better bet.

:)

We always fly into the city we're cruising out of. Sometimes we check airfares for nearby airports and sometimes it is substantially cheaper, but in the end we are just too lazy to be bothered with shuttles, rental cars, et cetera.

For us the difference between FLL and Miami is quite a bit of $$, especially when buying 4 tickets. For example: As of this morning, Feb 22 - Mar 2 on AirTran was $150 each way -direct flight from Indy to FLL with good afternoon flight times. From Indy to Miami same dates - $451 r/t with a change of planes and odd flight times. To me, that is quite a price difference so I will fly into FLL and take the shuttle the next day to the POM.

I guess it all depends on one's budget, how many plane tickets needed and what one would consider a deal breaker.

Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for posting your comments. I suppose my question was rather open ended, but you covered every possible angle! We have elected to fly from OMA to FLL, stay o'nite there and go to our fav restaurant and shuttle it to MIA the next morning. Thanks again!

We did the reverse in February. It was much less expensive to fly into Miami but we cruised out of FLL. Since there were 4 of us, we rented a car for one day. Picking it up in Miami and dropping off at FLL is not considered one way rental - they are considered the same. Sure saved us money. Flying into FLL was almost $500 and I got a fare of $217 into Miami.

• 2 weeks later...
We did the reverse in February. It was much less expensive to fly into Miami but we cruised out of FLL. Since there were 4 of us, we rented a car for one day. Picking it up in Miami and dropping off at FLL is not considered one way rental - they are considered the same. Sure saved us money. Flying into FLL was almost $500 and I got a fare of $217 into Miami.

Hey! I, too, am from the "Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of VA"! We always put in our date and try both MIA and FLL. We have flown into both, multiple times. In fact, last winter we flew into FLL...but our flight home was cheaper from MIA. Whatever flight has the best time and price...book it! Transportation from FLL to POM can be fairly cheap ($12-15 pp).

Archived