Transfers from midtown NYC to port

Andie7

Can anyone advise on transfers from a central New York hotel to port for a New England cruise on October 6th? Do shuttle buses go there or do we need a taxi? If so, is it cheaper to prebook a car or just call a cab? Also can we book a transfer fromThe Carribean Princess to JFK on board for the end of the cruise as we don'thave transfers included. Any info on prices would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can anyone advise on transfers from a central New York hotel to port for a New England cruise on October 6th? Do shuttle buses go there or do we need a taxi? If so, is it cheaper to prebook a car or just call a cab? Also can we book a transfer fromThe Carribean Princess to JFK on board for the end of the cruise as we don'thave transfers included. Any info on prices would be appreciated. Thanks.

Instead of the hassle, of pre-booking a shuttle, where they want cell phone numbers, time of disembarking (which you probably won't know, until you stand on the pier) + your credit card number. :confused: :mad:

Why not take a taxi, from the hotel, where they have contact with a reputable company. And then again, from the pier, where there are usually 100's of cabs in line, and you can probably choose the size you need!!!! :D

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07Jun.0212 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

Future & Hopeful Cruises !

( Already booked )

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York.

22 & 23rd cruises - Sapphire Princess B2B, 04 - 11 May & 11 - 18 May, 2013, California Coastal & Wine Country

24th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

25th cruise - Emerald Princess, 01 Oct. - 16 Oct. 2013, 16 Day Cruisetour, Toronto Via Quebec City to New York City

If you're in mid-town, a taxi is usually an easy, quick and inexpensive way to get to the port. If you're going to the Manhandle pier then a taxi is definitely the best way. BUT...Make sure they know where the port is if you're going to the Brooklyn cruise port.

We were there in July & took a taxi. As luck would have it, I'd gone online that a.m. just to get the mileage and wrote down the physical address of the Brooklyn Cruise port. When we got in the taxi it turns out the guy spoke very little English, had no idea where the cruise port was and if I hadn't had the exact address to give him to input in his GPS we'd have had more trouble than we did. Turns out he still got lost and we had to give directions. Thank goodness we'd been there enough times to have a general idea where to go. We were sorry we hadn't called our favorite limo driver...it would have been a lot easier and cheaper in the long run.

Also each hotel we've stayed in can arrange a car if you'd prefer. These are more comfortable, but more expensive.

A car to the Brooklyn Cruise port is around $50. A taxi can be $25 - 40 depending on traffic and whether or not your cab driver knows what he's doing.

Don't know about the Caribbean Princess, but most Princess ships provide transfers to both JFK & LGA

I suggest Dial7 car service.

The pricing is reasonable (espcially if booked in advance), the drivers speak English, and the drivers know where the port is.

In a taxi you may pay more if there are traffic delays and if the driver wanders about Brooklyn trying to figure out where the port is.

http://www.dial7.com/

I tried their site, but couldn't get quote from hotel to Brooklyn cruise terminal. It requires a building # and street; and I have only Brooklyn Cruisde terminal. Just doing research now, so didn't want to call until I have some idea if it would be less/better than a taxi. Do you know for sure taxi runs $25-$40 from Manhatten(7th ave and 55th st) to where Emerald Princess will be? Thanx much.

I suggest Dial7 car service

The pricing is reasonable (espcially if booked in advance), the drivers speak English, and the drivers know where the port is.

In a taxi you may pay more if there are traffic delays and if the driver wanders about Brooklyn trying to figure out where the port is.

http://www.dial7.com/

I tried their site, but couldn't get quote from hotel to Brooklyn cruise terminal. It requires a building # and street; and I have only Brooklyn Cruisde terminal. Just doing research now, so didn't want to call until I have some idea if it would be less/better than a taxi. Do you know for sure taxi runs $25-$40 from Manhatten(7th ave and 55th st) to where Emerald Princess will be? Thanx much.

Use 72 Bowne St., Brooklyn, NY as the address for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

In Manhattan, taxi's are less expensive than liveries that are called. There are taxi's lined up outside of reputable Hotels and always on the Piers at the end of the cruise. With all your luggage buses are too cumbersome as they are usually crowded. Have a great time:D

Its not true that cabs are less expensive than a car service you call yourself..in my personal experience. In general for short hauls cabs are less expensive but car services/liveries/limos you call yourself are the same or slightly less than cabs for nicer cars and less hassle too for anything but a local call. If you have the hotel call you will pay more as the car service they use normally kicks back to the caller. So make your own arrangements. For going to the Brooklyn pier have the directions with you as cabs will not necessarily know how to get there-again IM experience.

and I have driven a cab in NYC.

Thanx to all who responded on this thread. The Brooklyn address is very helpful. I was able to get a quote from Dial7, and it appears less than a taxi would be for our purposes. Plus we won't need to concern ourselves with possible communication/direction issues. :)

Thanx to all who responded on this thread. The Brooklyn address is very helpful. I was able to get a quote from Dial7, and it appears less than a taxi would be for our purposes. Plus we won't need to concern ourselves with possible communication/direction issues. :)

When are you going Sparty? I'd appreciate knowing how you get onas this seems like a good option for us.

I totally agree. We were already using Dial 7 to take us from JFK to our hotel, and now I've gone ahead and booked them to take us from the hotel to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal as well. For an extra few dollars it is definitely worth it! :cool:

Can I ask why you think so?

It's probably best if you don't ask. ;)

The poster has a long history of just out of the blue coming onto a board and making a series of three and four word posts that range from non sequiturs to blatantly incorrect information.

It's probably best if you don't ask. ;)

The poster has a long history of just out of the blue coming onto a board and making a series of three and four word posts that range from non sequiturs to blatantly incorrect information.

Wow, a quick search shows you are SO right! Thanks. ;)

Hi. We will be going in October, 2012. Dial 7 suggested we not book until mid Sept, but they did give us a reasonable quote. I'll reserve next week. When will you need them? I can report back after Oct 27.

When are you going Sparty? I'd appreciate knowing how you get onas this seems like a good option for us.

• 1 month later...
Hi. We will be going in October, 2012. Dial 7 suggested we not book until mid Sept, but they did give us a reasonable quote. I'll reserve next week. When will you need them? I can report back after Oct 27.

Dial 7 asked for a cell phone no.I explained it was an international no. I agreed to wait in hotel lobby and they said they would contact hotel if problem arose. 15 minutes after agreed time and no call the concierge went looking.He was waiting outside and hadn't entered the lobby. Said he couldn't phone as it was a UK no.and asked for a $10 dollar wait fee. I was angry.He was a chancer and a lazy driver. I took his name. I think he tried it on as we were women and he thought he could get away with it. Anyway he charged us the agreed fee as we refused to pay the extra but it was an uncomfortable ride and we should have reported him. Bad start to cruise. Think the firm is ok though.

• 1 month later...

can any of the locals on this thread advise me the best way to go to times square area after the cruise, it is a RCI cruise ending up in Bayonne Cape liberty cruise terminal. we are continuing our honeymoon with a few nights in New York, i thought about a taxi but was concerned that the price might be expensive with the meter running whilst queing to get out of port area in heavy traffic, i came accross a website offering seats on a coach ($30) dropping off at a few spots. i tried looking at private transfers but the prices quoted seemed very high

any help appreciated as i dont know the area

What web site are you referring to that charges $30? How much do you want to spend?

Can you manage your luggage? If so, there is an easy to manage with luggage public transit option combined with short less expensive cab rides for $30 or less.

Dial 7 asked for a cell phone no.I explained it was an international no. I agreed to wait in hotel lobby and they said they would contact hotel if problem arose. 15 minutes after agreed time and no call the concierge went looking.He was waiting outside and hadn't entered the lobby. Said he couldn't phone as it was a UK no.and asked for a $10 dollar wait fee. I was angry.He was a chancer and a lazy driver. I took his name. I think he tried it on as we were women and he thought he could get away with it. Anyway he charged us the agreed fee as we refused to pay the extra but it was an uncomfortable ride and we should have reported him. Bad start to cruise. Think the firm is ok though.

Frankly,even though you "agreed" to wait in the lobby, it probably was still expected that you note outside when the service pulled up. In NY you don't find transportation "parking" for long, if at all. They pull up, they go into park, keep the car running, your luggage and you jump in and they leave. They probably were entitled to the "wait" fee, if you expected them to come in and get you.

meet me in the lobby probably means outside in Manhattan anyway. a parking ticket if you leave the car unintended is $115 plus a $165 towing fee...and the tow pound is always full. They tow UPS and Fedex trucks all the time. They tow limos, anything in a NY minute. One of the reasons in Manhattan I sometimes recommend a taxi is that you don't have to meet with them you just waive them down.

BTW if the limo driver came in and there was a doorman and left the car they would be expected to tip the doorman at least $5 for the priviledge...

meet me in the lobby probably means outside in Manhattan anyway. a parking ticket if you leave the car unintended is $115 plus a $165 towing fee...and the tow pound is always full. They tow UPS and Fedex trucks all the time. They tow limos, anything in a NY minute. One of the reasons in Manhattan I sometimes recommend a taxi is that you don't have to meet with them you just waive them down.

BTW if the limo driver came in and there was a doorman and left the car they would be expected to tip the doorman at least $5 for the priviledge...

Actually the "wait" fee was low, in my opinion. In this case, the poster was wrong in their assumptions, in my opinion and should have paid the wait fee. Another factor of NY livery/cabs/car service, is generous tipping. 20%++ is standard.

Archived