Will not accept upgrade to anything less than Mini Suite

burm

When I re-booked yesterday to take advantage of a price reduction available only to new bookings, I was surprised and pleased to learn that I could say that I would only accept an upgrade if it took us from a balcony (BD) to a minimum of a mini suite level. Is this something new?

Now I don't have to worry that they they will stick me in another balcony in a less favourable location and call it an upgrade.

It is a win-win for us. I like our current location near the laudromat and convenient to Horizon Court (love to grab a plate of food to enjoy on the balcony). However, if by chance they upgraded us to a mini, any location would be acceptable. :)

Allowing complementry upgrade only to the next category type (ex: IS to OV, OV to Bal , Bal to Mini , Mini to Suite ) is a new option available as of the past few months.

You may now select this new preference , any upgrade or do not upgrade .

My Princess Vacation Planner--actually my Cunard Vacation Planner, as they are one and the same--was able to do this for me last year. Booked an OV on Deck 4 of Queen Victoria, ask to mark it no upgrade, when she asked me why I told her I didn't want to be moved to Deck 1 even though cabins are larger and more expensive (down three decks = downgrade IMHO). She said she could mark it "upgrade to balcony only"--and six days before sailing we indeed received said upgrade! Nice to see we can do this when self-booking, though I will continue to use my PVP (aka CVP) for the great service we get from her.

It is a win-win for us. I like our current location near the laudromat and convenient to Horizon Court (love to grab a plate of food to enjoy on the balcony). However, if by chance they upgraded us to a mini, any location would be acceptable. :)

That is awesome, we are right near the laundry too and I don't want to move unless it's really worth it!

(what's the advantage of a mini other than more room, is there anyhting?)

That is awesome, we are right near the laundry too and I don't want to move unless it's really worth it!

(what's the advantage of a mini other than more room, is there anyhting?)

More square footage; a place to sit and relax other than the bed; and a bathtub.

And don't forget the second television. :p (We never use the tv except for ship info)

I think the extra space would be nice, but unless the tub was on the balcony, we would never use it. For others, a tub is a necessity.

I like that our BD is on deck eleven, as opposed to the minis on 9. Two less floors to negotiate with that plate of food and drink.

Since you do not get full suite privileges in a mini, the upgrade for us would be just "nice".

• Administrators
When I re-booked yesterday to take advantage of a price reduction available only to new bookings, I was surprised and pleased to learn that I could say that I would only accept an upgrade if it took us from a balcony (BD) to a minimum of a mini suite level. Is this something new?

Now I don't have to worry that they they will stick me in another balcony in a less favourable location and call it an upgrade.

Yes, it's called a "meta" upgrade I believe. There have been some posts about it here, but not lately -- very handy information to have.

Yes, it's called a "meta" upgrade I believe. There have been some posts about it here, but not lately -- very handy information to have.

I kept a previous post by 'Coral' discussing this change:

-Open To Any Upgrade

-Only Upgrade to the Next Stateroom Type (ex. Balcony to Minisuite)

-Do Not Upgrade

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32417699&postcount=1

The important thing to know is that they did not initially offer this to me - I had to say that I liked my cabin choice and did not want to give it up for a neglible upgrade. It was only then that I was given this option.

Someone told me that anyone can now order room service from the DR during regular hours. Is this true? To me that was always the main advantage of having a full suite.

We could not on the Sapphire in May/June.

Our cruise next month is also marked no upgrade unless mini or higher. We went from BF to BC to an area that is ok for us.

In the spring we were "upgraded" to a small cabin on Plaza at the front. Very tiny for 2 weeks. Don't want to chance something like that happening again.

In addition to more room, you get a glass of champagne on embarkation.

If I may edit you slightly: "a glass of champagne-like alcohol." That said, what the heck, it's free, plus two glasses took the edge of my increasing paranoia about a suitcase that was taking forever to be delivered to my cabin!

Good luck. I hope you are happy with the cabin you booked since the chances of being upgraded from a BD to a mini-suite are very slim... Chances are you will be upgraded to a BB or a BA... But, nonetheless, good luck.

Good luck. I hope you are happy with the cabin you booked since the chances of being upgraded from a BD to a mini-suite are very slim... Chances are you will be upgraded to a BB or a BA... But, nonetheless, good luck.

The whole point of this thread was that you can now request to keep the cabin you selected unless an upgrade to the next class of cabin (ie balcony to mini-suite) is offered to you. OP does not want to move just to a different category of balcony cabin!

Exactly. I selected my current location for very specific reasons but I could be persuaded to move if they really made it worth my while. Many people feel the same way so it was sensible of Princess to give us this new option. No doubt they got tired of people asking for their original cabins back because they did not like the new location and did not consider the move to.be an upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this upgrade option only available to US passengers?

If not, where do you select this upgrade? I'm looking in 'My Princess' but can't see it anywhere!?

We are Canadian and I got it by booking over the phone with Princess. TA's also can get it for you. The option is not shown online in the Cruise Personalizer. It should be.

In case you did not read it in my earlier post, I will mention again that the Princess rep did not give me this option until I hestitated at her first question: "Would you accept an upgrade?" Why would she not give me the choice straight off?

Even if you have already booked, I would call your TA or Princess and ask, using that very important keyword that I have already forgotten. (Must have that all important first cup of morning coffe. :p)

I took the chance this time and booked, "Upgrade to a higher Meta only". I too had to ask if this option was available when booking. My only concern is could they replace my Mini with a Window Suite, which is technically a suite without a balcony?

I plan to call Princess today and clarify this issue. If that's the case I would change to No Upgrade acceptable.:eek:

Archived