Island Princess July 4 school holidays?

paddingtonbear

Not sure when the school holidays start or how popular Alaska cruises are with school children. Is the island princess on July 4 northbound from vancouver to Alaska going to be full of school children?

Would departure a week earlier avoid the school holidays?

School summer holidays in Canada and the US generally begin at the end of June and usually finish at the end of August. Two months off: July and August.

I'd say that there would be lots of kids onboard in these two months, that being said, they do have a Kid's Club where they are occupied in activities.

Cheers.

Not sure when the school holidays start or how popular Alaska cruises are with school children. Is the island princess on July 4 northbound from vancouver to Alaska going to be full of school children?

Would departure a week earlier avoid the school holidays?

I would think, anytime during the summer, the cruises to Alaska are going to have a lot of kids. we took that Sea Princess, July 12 to 22, and there were about 300 kids/teens on the ship. since we normally cruise during school days, this was the most kids I've seen on a ship in years... but, most were well behaved and a pleasure to have around.

School summer holidays in Canada and the US generally begin at the end of June and usually finish at the end of August. Two months off: July and August.

Actually, many US schools get out as early as mid- to late-May and most are out by mid-June. I'd say that your best chance of avoiding lots of kids on an Alaskan cruise would be May or September.

We went the week of July 20 this summer and there were 461 children/teens on board.... and it felt like it! :eek:

Actually, many US schools get out as early as mid- to late-May and most are out by mid-June. I'd say that your best chance of avoiding lots of kids on an Alaskan cruise would be May or September.

We went the week of July 20 this summer and there were 461 children/teens on board.... and it felt like it! :eek:

You need to come back to our original schedule of departing on Aug 17th or so.:D

Mike:)

We took our grandchildren out of school for the last southbound Alaska cruise on the Island Princess cruise a few years ago. The cruise was in September. There were 5 kids on the ship. Three were from France and our two. They still talk about this trip.

I would think, anytime during the summer, the cruises to Alaska are going to have a lot of kids. we took that Sea Princess, July 12 to 22, and there were about 300 kids/teens on the ship.

We did the Island in late August/Early Sept. Kid count = 18. And 3 of those were staff kids visiting.

We were on the Island Southbound 8/8-8/15 this year and there were 156 children under the age of 18 aboard.

You need to come back to our original schedule of departing on Aug 17th or so.:D

The weather is better the last week of July. We've been very lucky with good weather that week. The week we sailed with you was the worst weather I've had on an Alaskan cruise. ;)

We were on the Island Southbound 8/8-8/15 this year and there were 156 children under the age of 18 aboard.

]

Caribill,

Did they bother you much?

I don't hate kids, I have some of my own :) I just didn't particularly want to do a cruise with hoards of them running around (if they do that on a cruise?) but am now wondering if the weather is more important than the number of kids on board.

The weather is better the last week of July. We've been very lucky with good weather that week. The week we sailed with you was the worst weather I've had on an Alaskan cruise. ;)

That was 2 years ago that we went and it was sunny and in the 70's.:confused:

I wore my shorts all week and the only time it rained was when we were reboarding in Ketchikan.

That was 2 years ago that we went and it was sunny and in the 70's.:confused:

I wore my shorts all week and the only time it rained was when we were reboarding in Ketchikan.

It was nice at times, but it POURED on us at the Eagle Preserve in Haines and it drizzled during our excursion in Ketchikan. Not that I can't handle the rain, being from Seattle, but I've definitely had less rain on other trips. No rain to speak of during either of my end of July cruises. Of course, it's all a crap shoot. The week after us this year had horrible weather.

We were on the Sapphire Princess two weeks ago. There were nearly 300 children under the age of 18 on our cruise. We did not have any problems with them. We ate in the dining room whenever possible and used the adults only pools.

We were on the Sapphire Princess two weeks ago. There were nearly 300 children under the age of 18 on our cruise. We did not have any problems with them. We ate in the dining room whenever possible and used the adults only pools.

Thank you for letting me know. Did the children mostly eat at the horizon court? Or do you mean they were well behaved in the dining room?

Archived