Reduced Mileage on Delta

findacruise

I just received an e-mail from Delta indicating effective September 1 that select special fare tickets will not earn full mileage credit, but a percentage. I am including the link. For those who have their flights reserved, but not ticketed yet on Delta, I would suggest checking as this IMO would impact the miles you receive, if that matters to you.

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_to_get_miles/unpublished/index.jsp?MkCpgn=EMTNUPAA002211082312095707-A01A-A

Typical Delta. They have been devaluing miles for years and making it pretty much impossible to get award tickets with the lowest number of miles, and now they make it harder to earn miles as well.

I remember a few years back when their miles expired. I was going to quit using Delta---then they got rid of that idiotic plan. We are a hub--but if I can't earn miles, they will most definitely lose my business. It is practically impossible to use their miles, anyway. The last time I had to use around 50,000 just to go to FL!

Delta started this in some form last year on discounted fares on their skymiles partners (KLM, AF, etc). When you flew on one of them on a discounted fare, but used your skymiles number, you didn't get any miles or a reduced mile bonus.

The new plan takes this into Delta directly and effects anyone with "unpublished" fares. For most tickets booked via delta.com or delta vacation or anything official, this won't be an issue, however, for passengers getting their ticket via the cruise line (Regent air etc), this will be a big deduction in available miles.

Delta argues that when you pay a lower fare, you shouldn't get the same benefits and cruise lines do pay a lower fare as they book many tickets and get special rates.

I would not surprised if at one point soon other airlines will follow.

:-(

Rob, with Delta you need to book/find tickets way in advance. But you might try KLM or AF, they have a much better availability for sky pesos.

BA is the best in availability, but their extra fees and surcharges can kill the deal.

Hi Franz & Becky,

One of my fav FF mile/points bloggers (one of the top 3 on the planet) gives ten tips when booking with sky pesos (pls see below) out of our 2.5 Million miles and points we have about 400K w/delta..still need another 80K for our award tickets in the future to/from Oz (Aus/Nz). We prefer in order, AA, Star Alliance, last Delta.

http://thepointsguy.com/2010/10/10-tips-on-using-delta-skymiles/

absolutely concur Franz, Rick Ingersoll is #1 ff mile/pts blogger IMO.. Rick and I have worked together for military charities at our annual Chicago Seminars in October, also helped Rick proof his Frugal Travel Handbook. However, skypesos still s##ck

Delta made me mad one year, when I flew to one zone (Africa) and came back from another (I think South America) and charged me full RT points for each flight. After that, I quickly used up the rest of my points and will not use them again. The guys who help us with points rewards seem to hate dealing with them.

I never seem to have a hard time using Delta miles to fly on partner lines. Usually I am able to score Air France flights to Europe into Paris non stop. The only time I had an issue was an open jaw. Flew Continental to Stockholm and Back on Virgin America in Upper Class. On the flight from LAX to Stockholm paid points for Biz but flew in Coach. Going next month on AF via Paris to Prague; Home on KLM via Amsterdam from Budapest.

• 5 months later...

I would like to hear Regent cruiser's experience with mileage earned on Delta since this went into effect last September.

If you were on Regent air on Delta in coach, how many miles did you earn (per mile) and how many MQMs did you earn?

If you deviated specifically to Delta, the same questions?

If you paid for upgrade to Business, same questions.

Thanks,

Marc

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO INQUIRE ABOUT AN UPGRADE TO BUSINESS CLASS THAT i PAID FOR WITH REGENT AND I WAS PUT ON AN AIR FRANCE FLIGHT TO INDIA THROUGH PARIS. wiLL I GET 100 OR 150 % FF MILES ON DELTA?

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO INQUIRE ABOUT AN UPGRADE TO BUSINESS CLASS THAT i PAID FOR WITH REGENT AND I WAS PUT ON AN AIR FRANCE FLIGHT TO INDIA THROUGH PARIS. wiLL I GET 100 OR 150 % FF MILES ON DELTA?

Oh my -- why are you shouting? Think you should ask the airlines. Regent has contracts with the airlines but do not necessary have a clue what they do with upgrades. When we use Regent Air and when they allow us to use frequent flyer miles (it is up to the airline -- not Regent), we go to our booking (again, on the airline site -- not Regent) - and put in our frequent flyer numbers. Have never had a problem.

Marq: Have you asked Delta your question? I'm not sure why Regent would know the answer (and if they did, would they post it on CruiseCritic?)

Marq: Have you asked Delta your question? I'm not sure why Regent would know the answer (and if they did, would they post it on CruiseCritic?)

TC2, Marq was asking from feedback from fellow cruisers.

"I would like to hear Regent cruiser's experience."

TC2 reminds me of the post office inscription....

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." :D

Hi Franz & Becky,

One of my fav FF mile/points bloggers (one of the top 3 on the planet) gives ten tips when booking with sky pesos (pls see below) out of our 2.5 Million miles and points we have about 400K w/delta..still need another 80K for our award tickets in the future to/from Oz (Aus/Nz). We prefer in order, AA, Star Alliance, last Delta.

http://thepointsguy.com/2010/10/10-tips-on-using-delta-skymiles/

Wes; Take a look at Virgin Australia. They code share w/ DL and you can book on the DL site w/SkyPesos. We booked RT LAX-SYD for 150K each.

TC2 Because I accidently hit the "cap lock" button and did not want to retype my post, I don't think that you have to comment that I am shouting. Isn't that an attack on a person that you say you do not do vs commenting on an opinion. In any event, I assumed that I could call the airline (AF or DL), but thought someone may have the answer to my question on this board.

ededmd, thanks!!!

I am very aware of Delta rules and policies because, unlike Wes, Delta is my first choice of airlines. What I don't know is how Regent is coding the fares which will impact the mileage, and MQMs, earned.

So, has anyone flown Delta on Regent air since last September that would like to share the info?

Marc

ededmd, thanks!!!

I am very aware of Delta rules and policies because, unlike Wes, Delta is my first choice of airlines. What I don't know is how Regent is coding the fares which will impact the mileage, and MQMs, earned.

So, has anyone flown Delta on Regent air since last September that would like to share the info?

Marc

Our business class confirmation from Delta/KLM on AF is coded " Z Business". Do you know how ff miles will be calculated for this?

Our business class confirmation from Delta/KLM on AF is coded " Z Business". Do you know how ff miles will be calculated for this?

Here is the rules if you were flying Delta:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/earn-miles/earn-miles-with-special-fares.html

Here are the rules for Air France:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/earn-miles/earn-miles-with-partners/airlines/air-france.html

As you can see; you are going to earn 150% of total miles flown and 150% MQM.

I am interested if anyone is flying Delta on Regent Air.

I'm flying Delta/KLM from SFO>AMS>Istanbul in April. Regent initially offered us a Lufthansa connection through Frankfurt, with the over the pond flight on an Airbus A380 (the huge new plane). I prefer to wait until a plane has been in service for 3-4 years before flying on it (think Boeing 787). I requested the change to Delta/KLM (which uses a 747) and Regent obliged. Not sure how business class compares on these airlines but I'm hoping that, since KLM doesn't have a first class, their business class will be pretty good. We flew Air New Zealand to Auckland last year for a Regent cruise. They don't have first class, but the cabin configuration in business class was very similar to first class on mainy other airlines.

I'm flying Delta/KLM from SFO>AMS>Istanbul in April. Regent initially offered us a Lufthansa connection through Frankfurt, with the over the pond flight on an Airbus A380 (the huge new plane). I prefer to wait until a plane has been in service for 3-4 years before flying on it (think Boeing 787). I requested the change to Delta/KLM (which uses a 747) and Regent obliged. Not sure how business class compares on these airlines but I'm hoping that, since KLM doesn't have a first class, their business class will be pretty good. We flew Air New Zealand to Auckland last year for a Regent cruise. They don't have first class, but the cabin configuration in business class was very similar to first class on mainy other airlines.

The 747 is my favorite airplane of all.

If you are in business class and are seated upstairs, it's really great.

I'm not sure if they've converted to reclining seats or if they will, but we found them to be quite comfortable.

Here is the latest seat map I found...

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/KLM/KLM_Boeing_747-400_full.php

Thanks. We are on the upper deck and the reserved seats that have the most leg room. We really liked the private pods on Air New Zealand's business class that convert into a lie flat bed, but neither KLM nor Lufthansa seem to offer that. We're flying home on Lufthansa from Barcelona to Munich to SFO on an Airbus (but not the 380).

Archived