Royal Caribbean - The Nickel and Dime Cruise Line

This topic is really so played out.....if you want you can call just about everything in life nickle and dimming. Why are there different caliber restaurants around....why are there luxury apartments and low income apartments....why are there Mercedes and why are there Chevy's...why are there private lounges at clubs that cost $100/table when to sit at the bar is free...why does it cost more for a drink made with premium liquor ....it's life folks...and IT'S YOUR CHOICE...move on:)

Steve, that's too easy. ;)

You are all too right. I like RCCL a lot, but if you talk bad about ANYTHING the company does, you get blasted by its blind followers who refuse to look at the situations objectively. Just because it is your favorite cruise line does not make them the perfect company immune to any type of criticism

That is the worst part about this board. One criticism of RCCL and the cheerleaders come down hard on their high horses. It's a shame really.

I’ve seen the "Fresh Squeezed” OJ sold to people who obviously didn’t know they had to pay for it.

I’ve seen this a number of times.

It’s hard to believe that this sales tactic is accidental.

Switch items….

The DVDs that are advertised as “A video history of your cruise”, turn out to be lots of stock footage with a little video of the current cruise.

Is it just an accident that people have the impression that they will see themselves and their friends on the DVD?

That is the worst part about this board. One criticism of RCCL and the cheerleaders come down hard on their high horses. It's a shame really.

We sail different lines, so we check different boards and I find it interesting that these folks in general have not sailed a different line. Ironically criticing cruise lines and ships is basically how these forums came about.

Burt

A lot of folks seem to put these comparisons into the expense category and I can understand that, but a lot of what I want to know about nickel and diming is the interruption of my peaceful enjoyment of the cruise.

This. ^^^

As stated earlier, I don't mind paying extra for some of the things that I want. What I DO mind, however, is the constant pushing, pushing, pushing of these items.

I remember being shocked on my first cruise when I was in the MDR enjoying my dinner and a photographer just stepped up in my face and snapped a picture of me eating. I was like, "sheesh, how rude can one BE?" Then the photographer gives me a wink and says, "You can purchase your picture in the shop later on!"

Like I WANT anyone to have a picture of me chewing food. Give me a break! :rolleyes:

You know, I KNOW the extra items are there. That's fine. If I want something, I'll buy it, rest assured - I don't skimp on myself when I'm on vacation. But the more someone gets up in my face to buy things, the less likely I am to be inclined to purchase. If anything, I'm MORE likely to avoid the sales pitch altogether, because that's not what I want to hear while I'm away from a high-pressure job and on vacation where I'm trying to relax. I really, REALLY don't.

The tendency of the cruise lines to hard-sell these extras may end up backfiring on them eventually if they run into people who have the mindset that I do about it. If they scream "buy, buy, buy!" in my face constantly, they're going to leave empty-handed, because high pressure tactics don't work with me. I'm more likely to leave - or in the case of a cruise, write a rather strong letter of complaint to those in charge.

We sail different lines, so we check different boards and I find it interesting that these folks in general have not sailed a different line. Ironically criticing cruise lines and ships is basically how these forums came about.

Burt

I stay pretty "Loyal to Royal" but I still sail on Carnival and NCL on occation, I made the point earlier in the thread that the a la carte style cruising is not unique to RCCL, it's becoming a standard business model throughout the industry. I do think Royal has taken it further than the rest. It's not the Ryanair of the cruise line industry....yet...and I really hope it ever gets there but as long as people keep paying extra for things previously included then the companies will continue to charge for more and more.

*you* seem to miss the point of the OP that RCCL didn't always nickel and dime, hence my added point that they nickel and dime with individual drinks now, instead of letting you purchase a bottle, even at a mark up, to consume in your room. They used to let you buy a bottle at duty free for personal consumption, or order a bottle on ice to your room.

Yes, I understand they make a profit this way, hence the added point of a "money grab," as they didn't force you to go bar only for liquor.

Secondly, $5.50 for a 12oz light beer, not a microbrew, a light beer, is not reasonable. It's not reasonable at a club in a downtown district or on a cruise ship. $5.50 a beer is not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination

Don't know where you got that a light beer costs $5.50. It doesn't. They cost $4.25

I made the point earlier in the thread that the a la carte style cruising is not unique to RCCL, it's becoming a standard business model throughout the industry.

Maybe, but each line is still very unique in their policies and what they offer. Good stuff to know for comparison shopping.

Burt

Sorry if someone already asked, this thread is too long to read in its entirety.

OP: You did mention what ship, but since you posted on 8/26 that you got back "yesterday" to Bayonne, I assume you were on the Explorer 8/16-8/25 Bermuda/Caribbean cruise, same as me?

It's kind of like calling anyone with a differing opinion a cheer leader. I'm really not sure which is worse.

Burt

But there are exceptions though right Burt. I mean some people have no problem with RCI policy but actually cruise more than one line.

The only reason I have posted about only that topic is because its the only issue I have. Thank you for proving my point from your soap box!

No soap box. I'd love a bottle in my room but you might want to remove the 'buzz' from your argument. It's very juvenile.

I am so sorry you feel this way, maybe its because things are so costly now then they were 6 years ago with you. I think the nickle and dimed is on the alcohol not on the services, nor the food. The food is the same. Nothing changed we still use GS Foods for our lines, and we tried to get Sysco but they refused us. WHO knows, its a bid game for this, the one with the highest bidding wins...

I t hink that we do have the best entertainment, since Princess fell short the past three years and their food is not as good as ours... they fell short on help and as someone told me today they will never complain about RC again they said this is the best cruise they took in years.

Sadly talk to our managers write us a letter, we listen and read all remarks.

And I can tell you that a 12 oz Coors light (which is what I responded to) costs $4.25 plus tip. And that's up from $3.75 a yr ago

That's because they can't shrink the bottles like did they did with the cups for mixed drinks. I would rather they had increased the price of the drinks than serve them in the plastic dixie cups they used at the pool bar a couple weeks ago on the Majesty. :cool:

I have sailed both Royal and Holland several times. In fact our next trip we will do 7 days on Holland, get off and get on Independence for 6 days. Personally, I prefer Holland, but the two lines are pretty much the same.

Drink prices are the same, bad service has happened on both lines, GREAT service has happened on both lines. I think the quality of the food service, the entertainment and the overall service are comparable.

To be honest, Holland USED to be much better, but they have come down quite a bit. The only big difference to me, is the Holland ships are generally much smaller and so I get a more intimate experience.

You can stay with Holland or realistically lower your expectations. I mean I am a BIG guy, 3 pancakes 9 inches each, would be a paltry portion. I wouldn't complain, I would just ask for more. I have found almost every server will do whatever they can to make me happy on both lines.

You are all too right. I like RCCL a lot, but if you talk bad about ANYTHING the company does, you get blasted by its blind followers who refuse to look at the situations objectively. Just because it is your favorite cruise line does not make them the perfect company immune to any type of criticism

The cheerleaders are vicious here. They seem to love every cutback and extra charge more than the last.

But there are exceptions though right Burt. I mean some people have no problem with RCI policy but actually cruise more than one line.

Sure, but there is a difference between giving your opinion of the product, and telling the poster you don't like their opinion of the product.

Burt

A question about the OJ: if the paid one is freshly squeezed, whatnkindbos the free one? Bottled juice kind?

Seemed like the frozen concentrate to me. In my glass of OJ I have every morning, there was always a little bit of that concentrated sediment in the bottom. Tasted fine to me, though.

No soap box. I'd love a bottle in my room but you might want to remove the 'buzz' from your argument. It's very juvenile.

Right there. Calling an adjective juvenille is hopping on your "I'm more mature / better than you soap box."

People drink to get a "buzz," which would be less than drunk. Describe "buzz" anyway you like, but my argument stands and you merely attacked me personally.

It's kind of like calling anyone with a differing opinion a cheer leader. I'm really not sure which is worse.

Here is where you're explicitly wrong. People can have a different opinion than me. That's fine, and I will debate with them. That does not make them a cheer leader. But when you blindly agree with every move your favorite cruise line makes, every cut back and upcharge, and biligerently defend them, you have become a blind cheer leader.

Right there. Calling an adjective juvenille is hopping on your "I'm more mature / better than you soap box."

People drink to get a "buzz," which would be less than drunk. Describe "buzz" anyway you like, but my argument stands and you merely attacked me personally.

I'm sorry you feel that way but I was just trying to help. I've never considered myself really mature but you realize that the majority of CC readers are adults, right. Your use of the word 'buzz' probably doesn't resonate well with a lot of readers. Now a personal attack would be pointing out that the word 'buzz' as used above is in fact not an adjective but I don't want to launch personal attacks. :D

I'm sorry you feel that way but I was just trying to help. I've never considered myself really mature but you realize that the majority of CC readers are adults, right. Your use of the word 'buzz' probably doesn't resonate well with a lot of readers. Now a personal attack would be pointing out that the word 'buzz' as used above is in fact not an adjective but I don't want to launch personal attacks. :D

I *heart* Gregg. ;)

Archived