Has a roll call ever caused you NOT to book?

constantcruiser

A roll call has given me pause to reconsider, but I would not allow anyone to ruin my cruise for me. When I have taken the time to select the ship, dates and itinerary that work best for us, that will be the cruise we take As others have said, it is a big ship and there is room for everyone. Cruise Critic is a great source of information and it is good to connect with friends; but in the end, I can thoroughly enjoy a cruise without CC. After all, the DH is the best company I could ask for!

Doris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a useful tool on this board that not everyone seems to be aware of. It's called the "Ignore List". If you click on User CP near the top left of this page and under the heading Settings and Options on the left hand side and "Edit ignore list" you can add members to it and their posts won't appear (unless someone quotes them). If you have an individual or small group that posts a lot of detail you would rather not see it disappears if you put them on the ignore list. I use it to good effect on Cruise Critic.

Phil

There is a useful tool on this board that not everyone seems to be aware of. It's called the "Ignore List". If you click on User CP near the top left of this page and under the heading Settings and Options on the left hand side and "Edit ignore list" you can add members to it and their posts won't appear (unless someone quotes them). If you have an individual or small group that posts a lot of detail you would rather not see it disappears if you put them on the ignore list. I use it to good effect on Cruise Critic.

Phil

You will, of course, not see this post :)

copied from CC FAQS re roll calls

ROLL CALLS are for people to get to know one another before their cruise;

therefore, there will be all kinds of discussion!

Excellent, this shouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

Phil

Phil -- that's a great option to remind folks about -- some people don't know about it. However, I can see a possible pitfall with using it on a roll-call. ;) Let's say you find that posters X,Y, and Z spend a lot of time chatting about things you have no interest in. So, you add them to your ignore-list, and viola (!) -- no more useless chatter. :cool: Later on, you have a very important question that you urgently need an answer to. No sooner have you posted it on your roll-call thread than you get a reply from another poster: "Gee, didn't you just see all the posts on that topic by X, Y, and Z :rolleyes:?" If you say "No, I was ignoring all of them :o" -- well, let's just say that things could get awkward at the Connections Party! :eek: ;)

DH & I are at the very early planning stages for an 18-nt. transpacific cruise in spring 2014, and we're considering several options with slightly different ports. I'm always curious why passengers choose a particular ship/itinerary, so I checked the roll call boards for our top 2 favorites.

Frankly I was surprised that both already have active roll calls...one that has been going for over a year and with 1000+ posts. The vast majority of posts are made by about 50 people who have obviously traveled together several times in the past. They have a website (with several tabs), a facebook page, and have already organized two exclusive CC parties on-board and several private excursions. I thought that was a bit much, but what really turned me off was when they requested a bio for each participant (they supplied the questions), a photo and a "special" screen name to be used only for this roll call. Their target is to get at least 500 people to attend the CC party! They also plan to "take over" at least one bar every evening.

Well, that narrowed down our options and we immediately crossed that cruise off our list. Has this ever happened to you?

Why would you care what other people do....there are still other 2000 people on board that do not participate in any of planned activities....

Why would you care what other people do....there are still other 2000 people on board that do not participate in any of planned activities....

We want to know the times & places where groups such as CC Roll Call, Meet and Greet, Elite Cocktail, etc. will be held so we can avoid areas with crowds. We also avoid the crowd at the Martini Bar. The Roll Call gives times and places plus information about planned tours.

It doesn't affect our booking but it affects our cruise plans. DH & I enjoy spending quiet time together. It's nice to meet passengers but not in a crowded area.

-Marisa

Phil

Love it! Of course now I'm totally wondering if you're "ignoring" anybody from our roll call... :p

Love it! Of course now I'm totally wondering if you're "ignoring" anybody from our roll call... :p

Not you and no-one from our roll call. I have to say I'm pretty selective.;) I have been around these boards for long enough and some of the same posters seem to say the same stuff in a very similar manner which I rarely agree with. To add balance there are many here I always agree with. Then there's the option to click on "View post" for those ignored for a bit of rubber-necking. They rarely disappoint! LOL

Phil

Last year was the first time I used cruisecritic. The best tour we had, in Turkey, was set up by a cc member and there were about 18 of us. It was half the price of the equivalent ship's tour and ours included things others did not get on the ships' tour. Now I am on one for the Oct. 11 Solstice and it is a HUGE group. I think that's great. We have a facebook page, but not much happens on it.

Obviously you can use it to find others interested in sharing cabs (we plan to do that two times during our cruise) or sharing cars etc, thus cutting down on the cost of the tours. You don't have to go beyond that. Six thousand posts seems crazy, but I guess people book really far out from sailing dates and many, like me, take nearly as much joy in researching a trip as in taking it.

Not you and no-one from our roll call. I have to say I'm pretty selective.;) I have been around these boards for long enough and some of the same posters seem to say the same stuff in a very similar manner which I rarely agree with. To add balance there are many here I always agree with. Then there's the option to click on "View post" for those ignored for a bit of rubber-necking. They rarely disappoint! LOL

Phil

Hi Phil:D....you know here in the states we have a saying and maybe

you do too.....SSDD.......Same s*** different day;):rolleyes:

Phil

Thank you Phil. Had not discovered that facility before. Will try it now.

The problem ignored here is that some people come to the roll call to find information, not to make friends, get to know people, etc.. If you are part of the group and have your tours set up, etc., then it's easy to say just don't participate in the roll call....or just don't read the posts that don't apply to you.....but if you want to find or form an excursion group, you want/need to use the roll call...and the social discussion hinders the ability of the new person to use the roll call for real cruise related stuff.

There are two sides to this....."if you don't like it, don't participate" is not a helpful position to take and ignores other Cruise Critic participants and fellow cruisers.

I agree with you on both counts. "Take it to email!" would be my motto, if I had one. It's sort of like "Get a room!" :)

Been involved with a lot of roll calls and know what you mean. I wouldn't skip any cruise because of the roll call but when you have a bunch that know each other before the cruise and take over you may as well skip the M+G since you'll be an outsider. The best ones are folks wanting to make new friends.

Phil

I had no idea there was this option,thank you Phil for pointing this out.

I had no idea there was this option,thank you Phil for pointing this out.

Don't put me on that list Kimberley :D

Actually, last year our TA roll call was enormous and a lot of fun, with all kinds of information and chatter.

We joined in with some but not that much of the organised activities.

We had a great cruise and met the best people, all from the roll call.

This year our roll call is more about organising trips and sharing information but everyone seems lovely and friendly.

I wouldn't use a roll call to decide on a cruise or not but it is so much nicer to 'get to know' some of your fellow travellers.

Adele :)

Don't put me on that list Kimberley :D

Actually, last year our TA roll call was enormous and a lot of fun, with all kinds of information and chatter.

We joined in with some but not that much of the organised activities.

We had a great cruise and met the best people, all from the roll call.

This year our roll call is more about organising trips and sharing information but everyone seems lovely and friendly.

I wouldn't use a roll call to decide on a cruise or not but it is so much nicer to 'get to know' some of your fellow travellers.

Adele :)

Adele,I would never put you in the ignore list,we had a great roll call,and this is where we met and made plans and talked about our likes,dislikes,family,tours etc.....if it wasn't for the roll call we may never have met on that big ship.Tell Mark hello,and we must plan another cruise together,let me know your cruise plans.

Kimberley

Archived