Price of Ipad in St Maarten

Maxine Richards

Not sure what the UK cost is, but when I was last there, I didn't see any deals on electronics compared to US/Canada prices. In fact, as an example, my brother in law had just bought a Nikon DSLR camera at a local camera shop here and I saw the exact camera and accessory kit in St Maarten for hundreds more.

Edited by DanJ

Be very careful. There's been reports of places selling iPads outside the US of not being real iPads or illegal ones. There's been a rash of stolen iPads that are taken outside the US and sold, but Apple has the ability to find these devices and there have also been reports of the devices being disabled.

I second the recommendation that if you want an iSomething you go two ways new ( pricey very little discounting anywhere, Apple is a different company ) or you try refurb'd on ebay or amazon. There is a healthy used market for "real" used ipads now that the new retina display one is out. IMHO the iPad2 is pretty good and a value used over the new iPad.

You may also run into usage issues, for instance you may not be able to use an I Tune card purchased in the UK for an IPad purchased out of the country. I know from personal experience that this is the case with IPods bought in the US and trying to load it with a card purchased in Canada.

You may also run into usage issues, for instance you may not be able to use an I Tune card purchased in the UK for an IPad purchased out of the country. I know from personal experience that this is the case with IPods bought in the US and trying to load it with a card purchased in Canada.

The easy work around on that is to simply not use an Itunes card. Just register a credit card on itunes, and you only get charged when you buy something, not giving Apple whatever amount upfront and gradually spending it down.

The easy work around on that is to simply not use an Itunes card. Just register a credit card on itunes, and you only get charged when you buy something, not giving Apple whatever amount upfront and gradually spending it down.

I have tried that but they would not accept my RBC Visa card and have always had to use my US B of A Visa. Interestingly when I changed by address for billing purposes they wouldn't accept my B of A card with the Canadian address and had to wait until I was in Seattle to by a US ITunes card. When I inquired about it at the Apple store in Fort Lauderdale, they smiled (as they hear about this from Canadians all the time) and said they are operated at two different companies.

I have tried that but they would not accept my RBC Visa card and have always had to use my US B of A Visa. Interestingly when I changed by address for billing purposes they wouldn't accept my B of A card with the Canadian address and had to wait until I was in Seattle to by a US ITunes card. When I inquired about it at the Apple store in Fort Lauderdale, they smiled (as they hear about this from Canadians all the time) and said they are operated at two different companies.

Interesting. My mom bought an ipad in Florida last winter. She brought it back to Canada in the spring, and I helped her set up itunes on her computer. She created an apple ID, we connected the ipad and "authorized" it. She entered her Canadian credit card into itunes, and away she goes. Hers is also a 3G ipad, and she bought the card from Rogers to go online when wifi not handy (like at her campground).

Interesting. My mom bought an ipad in Florida last winter. She brought it back to Canada in the spring, and I helped her set up itunes on her computer. She created an apple ID, we connected the ipad and "authorized" it. She entered her Canadian credit card into itunes, and away she goes. Hers is also a 3G ipad, and she bought the card from Rogers to go online when wifi not handy (like at her campground).

The difference may be that I live in AZ for 5.5 months a year and had set it up with a US identity and with a BofA credit card. I sometimes have a similar problem with our Kindles as they are set up in the US and sometimes I get a message that I can't purchase a book in Canada or visa versa and I have to out smart it....Apple I haven't been able to.

• 2 months later...

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise. One of the ladies I talked to on the ship said she bought an iPad3 with 64g for $400 at the iStore in St Maarten (authorized Apple dealer). Of course I found that out the evening we left the port.

She said she got the warranty.... do you think it is legit? The iStore shows as an authorized Apple dealer and is supposedly duty-free merchandise.

Anyway - I missed the deal, but I'd sure like one - esp at that price!

I just returned from a Caribbean cruise. One of the ladies I talked to on the ship said she bought an iPad3 with 64g for $400 at the iStore in St Maarten (authorized Apple dealer). Of course I found that out the evening we left the port.

She said she got the warranty.... do you think it is legit? The iStore shows as an authorized Apple dealer and is supposedly duty-free merchandise.

Anyway - I missed the deal, but I'd sure like one - esp at that price!

Sorry, don't believe this. An iPad3 cwith 64GB cost $699. Apple does not allow discounting. This "authorized" store is a bit controversial and is not listed on Apple's webpage:

http://www.todaysxm.com/2011/07/24/new-istore-raises-eye-brows/

https://locate.apple.com/country

Edited by 6rugrats

Sorry, don't believe this. An iPad3 cwith 64GB cost $699. Apple does not allow discounting. This "authorized" store is a bit controversial and is not listed on Apple's webpage:

http://www.todaysxm.com/2011/07/24/new-istore-raises-eye-brows/

https://locate.apple.com/country

There was an article in the local St. Maarten newspaper The Daily Herald on July 27, 2011 confirming that the i store in question was indeed confirmed to be an authorized Apple reseller/retailer in the Latin American division.

Edited by Karysa

There was an article in the local St. Maarten newspaper The Daily Herald on July 27, 2011 confirming that the i store in question was indeed confirmed to be an authorized Apple reseller/retailer in the Latin American division.

I saw that but Apple stores are not called "iStores", and Apple doesn't allow this discounting.

Edited by 6rugrats

I saw that but Apple stores are not called "iStores", and Apple doesn't allow this discounting.

We have bought the kids iPhones at Future Shop in the past. As long as it's from an authorized dealer of Apple products and the purchased product is protected under the Apple warranty why would the name of the store matter?

It may have also been an iPad 2, which is heavily reduced in price now. I obviously have no idea how much that person knows about iPads but I know lots of people who get the various models mixed up. Starting with the fact the iPad 3 isn't actually called that, and I've never seen any authorized Apple retailer call them that. I have a friend who just picked up an iPhone 4 because it was free on a contract. Then she's asking all her facebook friends why it doesn't do this and that, not at all aware that her phone is a couple generations behind the newest iPhone. To her, an iphone is an iphone. Same deal with many people an ipads.

We have bought the kids iPhones at Future Shop in the past. As long as it's from an authorized dealer of Apple products and the purchased product is protected under the Apple warranty why would the name of the store matter?

I thought that someone would have an answer to my question by now. Does that mean that it doesn't matter that the St. Maarten i-store isn't an Apple store since it is an authorized Apple Dealer?

I thought that someone would have an answer to my question by now. Does that mean that it doesn't matter that the St. Maarten i-store isn't an Apple store since it is an authorized Apple Dealer?

I would say it doesn't matter. As you say, Future Shop is an Apple dealer here in Canada. Many stores are authorized Apple dealers even though they aren't actual "Apple Stores". So it's entirely reasonable to think a store in another country called "iStore" could be an authorized Apple retailer.