Silly Question Department ??

SnoopyJS

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky, but it's been 40 years between cruises for us and I have a silly question ...

Can anyone tell me if the 'considerable wardrobe space' in staterooms on Rhapsody of the Seas translates into 'considerable coat hangers' to match? A pet peeve I'm afraid. We arrived on our honeymoon ship to find a decent sized wardrobe equiped with exactly ONE coat hanger. I really, really don't like to be forced to travel with hangers packed ... so am hoping that someone who knows the answer can help me. We are going on a 17 day cruise, and I'm hoping to be able to hang our clothes easily because there are no irons on board.

Also, if anyone can fill me in on whether the bathrooms in the staterooms have cupboard/drawer space or just bench tops I'd appreciate knowing. It's a very long cruise to have to live out of a toiletry kit.

I'm so looking forward to it, but like to be prepared with forward knowledge :)

Sorry if I'm being nitpicky, but it's been 40 years between cruises for us and I have a silly question ...

Can anyone tell me if the 'considerable wardrobe space' in staterooms on Rhapsody of the Seas translates into 'considerable coat hangers' to match? A pet peeve I'm afraid. We arrived on our honeymoon ship to find a decent sized wardrobe equiped with exactly ONE coat hanger. I really, really don't like to be forced to travel with hangers packed ... so am hoping that someone who knows the answer can help me. We are going on a 17 day cruise, and I'm hoping to be able to hang our clothes easily because there are no irons on board......

Not silly at all.

Just ask your stateroom attendant for as many hangers as you want. Often they will give you thin wire hangers (the kind you get from the dry cleaners) which take up less space in the closet than the thick wooden hangers.

In fact, if we have limited closet space, we routinely remove about half the wooden hangers and replace them with the thinner ones. That way we can hang each item of clothing on an individual hanger and never need to double anything up.

When you disembark, just leave the extra hangers behind in the closet and the stateroom attendant will put them back into the storage room to save for the next passengers who want them.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

There is no such thing as a silly question.

You will notice a lot of differences since you cruised 40 years ago.

We have never found that we were short hangers -- in fact many times we have had many left over.

Hopefully on the RCI board someone will have pictures of the cabin you have selected.

I get mugs/cups from the buffet- usually 3. Then they go on the shelf in the bathroom. Tooth brushes, tooth paste and any other dental stuff goes in one. My husbands razor & shaving cream (the small 'can' you can get in drug store or WalMart) in another. In the last one goes our combs, nailfile and my 24 hr. lipstick and what ever else. I leave anything that we don't use on a daily basis in the toiletry kit and leave that on a shelf in the closet.

A lot of the ships have a laundry for passengers and you will find an iron there. We use Downy's Wrinkle Out. You spray it on your shirt or pants, stretch the fabric and after a bit the wrinkels disapear.

Most ships have two hanging closets and the 3rd closet has shelves. There are maybe 5 drawers but they are not big at all and not deep. Cruising I always pack everything on their hangers as I hate the thick wooden ones. Metal hangers don't weight much and take up little space.

I pack many of our hanging clothes on metal dry cleaner hangers and though we can easily get all the hangers we need from cabin steward, it's fast unpacking and getting organized when lots of the clothes are already on the hanger. I usually leave most of them behind when we leave.

They weigh very little and the convenience is great.

We travel heavy - so we always need more hangers no matter how many they provide - and we' just ask our steward as soon as we arrive and bingo there they are.

If you go to your cruise line's board there may be photos of the bath rooms from different classes of cabins - the cabin class will determine how much storage space there is.

We usually travel in a balcony cabin - so not the smallest available - and we've always had cubby-holes and shelves other than the bathroom countertop - but as I said, we travel heavy. I bring a lot of stuff and like to be able to access it without having to dig through my toiletry bags. Here are two possible solutions:

1. Hanging toiletry bags or even a plastic "over door" shoe bag. Maybe people consider the shoe bag overkill, but on longer cruises I love it.

2. Sub-divide your medicines and toiletries into regular kitchen baggies. That way you can leave them "out" but they are not all loose and likely to roll away if things get rocky at all. AND you can see things. AND if you spring for freezer bags, they usually have an area where you can write what's in the bag (this is for DH who can't see that there are actually Nyquil pills in the bag but he can read "Colds and Allergy Stuff") on the bag.

ANd mostly have fun.

Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to reply to my questions. I really appreciate it very much.

I'm trying to have us travel fairly light, but with it being a 17 day cruise, I also like my stuff hung up and organised and not having to dig around in toiletry cases.

Thanks again for so much good advice. :D

I'm trying to have us travel fairly light, but with it being a 17 day cruise, I also like my stuff hung up and organised and not having to dig around in toiletry cases.

Then you might like a hanging cosmetic bag with clear plastic compartments where all your toiletries would be visible, perhaps something similar to this

hangingcosmeticbagg-periwinkle.png

Can anyone tell me if the 'considerable wardrobe space' in staterooms on Rhapsody of the Seas translates into 'considerable coat hangers' to match? A pet peeve I'm afraid. We arrived on our honeymoon ship to find a decent sized wardrobe equiped with exactly ONE coat hanger. I really, really don't like to be forced to travel with hangers packed ... so am hoping that someone who knows the answer can help me. We are going on a 17 day cruise, and I'm hoping to be able to hang our clothes easily because there are no irons on board.

Also, if anyone can fill me in on whether the bathrooms in the staterooms have cupboard/drawer space or just bench tops I'd appreciate knowing. It's a very long cruise to have to live out of a toiletry kit.

I'm so looking forward to it, but like to be prepared with forward knowledge :)

You're going find things different after 40 years. It's been 50 years (started young) of cruising for me. The "Good Ole Days" will always be fondly remembered ... but some things really are better now!

There will be lots of hangers in your closet. More will be on the way from your cabin steward if needed. The bathroom has shelves for toiletries needed there. The dresser area has a couple of small drawers for make up items.

Have fun planning and a great time on your cruise! :)

LuLu

Then you might like a hanging cosmetic bag with clear plastic compartments where all your toiletries would be visible, perhaps something similar to this

hangingcosmeticbagg-periwinkle.png

Ahhhhh - You are on my wave length. I have found one just right on several websites, including Ebay, but I'm in Australia and they are all in the US. Every sight but one won't post to Australia, and the one that does wants more than the cost of the bag to post it to me :(

It seems strange that I can't find one in Australia, and not even in stores in Brisbane. We're not exactly the back of beyond, but it gets very frustrating.

Thanks for the advice :)

You're going find things different after 40 years. It's been 50 years (started young) of cruising for me. The "Good Ole Days" will always be fondly remembered ... but some things really are better now!

There will be lots of hangers in your closet. More will be on the way from your cabin steward if needed. The bathroom has shelves for toiletries needed there. The dresser area has a couple of small drawers for make up items.

Have fun planning and a great time on your cruise! :)

LuLu

Thanks LuLu - advice much appreciated :)

I'm guessing that they don't invite passengers to visit the bridge and steer the ship anymore :eek: One of my favourite honeymoon photos was of me doing just that :D

Ahhhhh - You are on my wave length. I have found one just right on several websites, including Ebay, but I'm in Australia and they are all in the US. Every sight but one won't post to Australia, and the one that does wants more than the cost of the bag to post it to me :(

It seems strange that I can't find one in Australia, and not even in stores in Brisbane. We're not exactly the back of beyond, but it gets very frustrating.

Try Howard's Storage World, they have a few to choose from. I got one with open pockets just from Coles supermarket.

Do you have a luggage store - they will carry assorted travel accessories? An Austrailian store may have a website where you can order online.

Try Howard's Storage World, they have a few to choose from. I got one with open pockets just from Coles supermarket.

I've tried our local Howards, but plan to keep an eye out there. At the moment they don't have much.

Do you have a luggage store - they will carry assorted travel accessories? An Austrailian store may have a website where you can order online.

It's really strange, because the travel stores I checked with don't have anything of the Travelon variety, and even the online stores seems to reconnect with US suppliers who won't post to Australia, either at all, or at enormous cost.

I've got time yet to keep looking, but it gets very frustrating. One of the staff I spoke to seemed to think that I was being really fussy - which I call discerning :D

]I get mugs/cups from the buffet- usually 3. Then they go on the shelf in the bathroom. Tooth brushes' date=' tooth paste and any other dental stuff goes in one[/b']. My husbands razor & shaving cream (the small 'can' you can get in drug store or WalMart) in another. In the last one goes our combs, nailfile and my 24 hr. lipstick and what ever else. I leave anything that we don't use on a daily basis in the toiletry kit and leave that on a shelf in the closet.....

Wow great idea!

I've never been to Australia so don't what stores are there. The military uses bags similar to these, not as pretty but just as functional. You might check into a military supply type store. Most of our military stores have online shopping as well, but not sure about the shipping to Australia. Ranger Joe's, Brigade Quartermaster and U.S. Cavalry are the ones we use. You also might try a regular luggage store, they usually have really neat packing aids.

We have a somewhat different but still compartmentalised hanging washbag from Kathmandu, which was bought for us in New Zealand, and it's only recently I've seen their stuff over here. They don't have exactly the same on the Australian site, but they do have a useful compartmentalised hanging wash bag - pity there aren't any pictures of the inside!

I've never been to Australia so don't what stores are there. The military uses bags similar to these, not as pretty but just as functional. You might check into a military supply type store. Most of our military stores have online shopping as well, but not sure about the shipping to Australia. Ranger Joe's, Brigade Quartermaster and U.S. Cavalry are the ones we use. You also might try a regular luggage store, they usually have really neat packing aids.

Thanks for the ideas. Our travel/luggage stores are good for luggage, but not real good as far as travel accessories is concerned .... but I hadn't thought about military stores. We do have a few of those around, so I will have to go investigate.

We have a somewhat different but still compartmentalised hanging washbag from Kathmandu, which was bought for us in New Zealand, and it's only recently I've seen their stuff over here. They don't have exactly the same on the Australian site, but they do have a useful compartmentalised hanging wash bag - pity there aren't any pictures of the inside!

I had also checked out the Khatmandu site and not seen anything, but it might be worth while driving to Brisbane for a look see. Many thanks :)

Archived