Walkie Talkies

We've booked a cruise on the Allure this Spring; and while it's not our first cruise, it's the first that my boys are old enough to roam around on their own. I want to bring walkie talkies because it's a very big ship. My husband says the signal won't go very far on the ship because it will get blocked by all the metal. I don't want to go to the expense of buying a set of walkie talkies if they are not going to work. Have you used them on a cruise successfully?

You'll probably get a more specific to that ship answer on the Royal Caribbean board, but I can tell you the people who had a cabana next to ours on a smaller HAL ship had walkie talkies and the first three days of the cruise all I could hear was "WHAT??? I can't hear you, say again." "Howard, I can't hear you, where are you?" "Howard, tell me when you get back here."

In other words - it was more frustration than help and after the third day the walkie talkies went back in the suitcase.

From my childless mind, it seems if you're not going to be comfortable with them being out on their own, the walkie talkie wont make you any more comfortable. All you need is ONE time when the signal isn't clear or they put it down while playing ping pong and didn't hear you, and you'll be more worried than if you just trusted they would be back at 2:00 when you told them to come back.

They do no not work well on a ship.

They DO annoy very well.

That sums things up pretty well.

OP, it would be a good idea to look around the board a little. This is a hot topic, and can generate not so nice comments. You can find some of the other threads quite easily.

You don't need walkie talkies. There are many other ways to kkep track of your kids, and not annoy others.

The other thing I remind parents of is to think about where the kids will put the walkie talkies while on the basketball court, in the pool, etc. I know my kids would probably leave them somewhere and they would not make it back to the cabin. Check out the family board for lots of suggestions on how to stay in touch. It is very doable without the walkie talkies, just make sure to set the rules and consequences with the kids before even getting on the ship.

Very annoying to have to be carrying around something like that all the time.

The best thing to do is make plans for the day...and if you or your kid's plans change, you'll know where to find each other, so you can tell them. It's best to do your "check-ins" in person....so you can physically SEE your child. Mealtimes are natural meeting times, but you can arrange for them to meet you to "check in" whenever you want.

Yes...it's a big ship, but the great majority of it is cabins....unless it's YOUR hallway, you have no need to be in those parts of the ship...that will reduce the size by about 3/4!

And, folks gravitate to the same places over and over...look in those areas 1st!

We tried using them when on a family cruise. Didn't work very well and everyone put them away after the first day.

As others have said, arrange for meet times. Also, if an emergency can always go to reception.

On our Summit cruise last month, a large family had them and never before did I want to take them from all the people and throw them overboard. They were constantly yelling into them, even in the quiet dining areas. All you heard was the infernal buzzing, beeping and people yelling "I can't hear you. Where are you? What? What?"

Just give the kids watches and set up a schedule for them to check in, maybe every hour or 90 minutes. Also set times to meet for meals and when they must be back in the cabin for changing clothes and curfew.

Have you used them on a cruise successfully?

We tried them on the Explorer, and they did not work.

On our last cruise on the Oasis, we went to carrier pigeons, they worked much better:

_DSC0336.jpg?t=1341254435

However, they drank a lot.

Do you let people rent them? LOL

They are usually available at the Customer Service desk, but you have to reserve them in advance. When you are done with them, bring them with you when you dine in a specialty restaurant and they will give you a discount on your meal - no questions asked.

They are usually available at the Customer Service desk, but you have to reserve them in advance. When you are done with them, bring them with you when you dine in a specialty restaurant and they will give you a discount on your meal - no questions asked.

Can't bring them home?

I will be different and tell you that we used them and they worked. Yes there were other people on the stations. Try to find a quiet one. Tell your kids to call you at a certain time and then hopefully they will call you on the walkie talkie.

On our last cruise on the Oasis, we went to carrier pigeons, they worked much better:

I'm just wondering if here are nest hogs in the cruise-pigeon community.

We have used walkie talkies. They work fine, in my opinion, and we're careful to excuse ourselves away for others and talk in a normal voice so as to not annoy others.

.....and we're careful to excuse ourselves away for others and talk in a normal voice so as to not annoy others.

My bet is that all walkie talkie users would claim the same consideration for others, regardless of how annoying they actually were towards everyone around them. It is so easy for someone to actually believe what they do when it benefits themselves the most.

.....and we're careful to excuse ourselves away for others and talk in a normal voice so as to not annoy others.

My bet is that all walkie talkie users would claim the same consideration for others, regardless of how annoying they actually were towards everyone around them.

For the record - I have never been around someone using their walkie talkie who actually showed consideration for those around them, so I have a less than accepting attitude towards them and their users.

Can I bring my own from home? If so, should I pack them in carry-on or checked luggage? :D

Archived