Alaska - HAL or Celebrity?

NYCcruiser86

Hi All,

After much debate my partner and I have decided that our next destination will be Alaska! We're very excited about this but overwhelmed by the choices! Given my work schedule we are limited to one of the 7 night round-trip inside passages cruises.

Neither of us have ever sailed on HAL before but we have multiple times on Celebrity. These two are by far our top choices for Alaska.

Given these choices:

Oosterdam

Celebrity Solstice

which would you all recommend. We've done the Solstice class before for Celebrity and loved it. Either one would be a regular balcony room and the itinerary's are virtually identical.

There is a good chance our extended families would be coming too and ages would range from 7 to 68 so the children's program would need to be pretty good. Also, given that its Alaska the indoor pool options on both ships are appealing but we're worried that the indoor pool on the Solstice being adults only would mean the kids had almost nothing to do on sea days.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :D

Princess and HAL have been in the Alaskan busniess far longer than Celebrity. So I would choose one of those 2 cruise lines.

As for itinerary -- I would choose one that does either Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay.

The Oosterdam does Tracy Arm and many times the ships can not get close to that glacier because of the ice flow. I know as we have taken several cruises that included Tracy Arm and we rarely made it close.

When people ask about Alaska, I always come back to one thing: HAL owns nearly every train and bus you see there for a reason. They simply own Alaska ipwhen it comes to experience, history and connectivity. On an excursion on another line? Very well could be owned by HAL.

The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship and sized nicer for Alaska IMO.

Alaska is all about ports, time in ports, and glacier viewing (Hubbard is my favorite, followed closely by Glacier Bay). While you say itinerary is virtually identical, does that mean the times in port are identical?? Be sure to check, because that is important. Longer time in port is always better. HAL goes to Sitka, which is one of my fav Alaska ports - very authentic Alaska, and non-touristy. HAL's kids club does an excellent job in Alaska, so please do not be put off by its (unfair) reputation as being a floating nursing home;). I've sailed to AK four times - all on HAL (twice on the Amsterdam and twice on the Oosterdam), and there have been numerous childen on each sailing, all enjoying themselves in Club HAL and having a ball with their families in port. This is one cruise where the ports and the beauty of the scenery and wildlife takes full precedence over the ship.

The scenery sailing roundtrip Vancouver is much better than roundtrip from Seattle where you must spend a full day and night in open ocean with literally no land in sight and often times, very rough seas in the Pacific. Note that you can still fly RT to Seattle and take the train or bus or rent a car to drive to Vancouver, so please don't rule out those sailings. RT Vancouver eliminates the need for the very short Victoria, BC port stop as well.

With those options, I would chose the Volendam's 7 day RT Vancouver sailing - simply because it is a smaller ship, and offers Wednesday sailing (versus Sat. or Sun.) which will result in less crowding in ports. Smaller ship is also very much preferable to me. The Solstice is one of Celebrity's largest class ships, is it not? One way sailings to and from Vancouver are also a great option if you have time for some land touring in Alaska either before or after your cruise.

Unfortunately, HAL won't be offering their amazing 14 day itinerary on the Amsterdam after tomorrow's last sailing :( - what a shame! THAT is the itinerary and the ship I would recommend above all others. I sailed that itinerary twice (2010 and 2011) and it is just the best out there. Sigh....maybe HAL will bring it back again one day, we can only hope!

While I'm sure Celebrity offers a fine product in the Alaska market, I would suggest either HAL or Princess, which has some terrific itineraries as well, including Glacier Bay. Keep in mind that Celebrity can't go to Glacier Bay.

Head over to the Ports of Call forums and click on "Alaska" - some excellent information from Alaska 'experts' over there that I've found invaluable over the years.

Good luck in your planning. I hope that you will enjoy Alaska as much as I and many others do - it truly gets under your skin and captures your soul, yes, even after one visit. Just can't get enough of the amazing scenery, stunning glaciers, beautiful mountain views, and magnificent wildlife - both in the sea and on land. Trust me, you'll go back;).

My suggestion would be HAL especially if goes to Glacier Bay.

Check the other sailings from Vancouver . Hal does 7 day round trip from Vancouver. If you are really set on Seattle departs keep in mind some Alaska

port time is lost because on the 4 - 6 hour stop in Victoria to keep the cruise

legal.

Compare port times between Vancouver & Seattle departures and the also for the cruise lines.

As someone said visiting Tracy Arm doesn't always work especially with

the larger ships .

It is a no brainer...ports. shcedules, activites, smaller ships, and experience, experience. experience and Experience !!!!

Celeb is just starting. Holland has the dock.. Celeb will have to tender,

Places like Glacier Bay, Celeb is bared from even entering!!!:eek:

Like in real estate..location location, locatation.. Holland America has Alaska and cruises and tours all under contract and wired

.......The scenery sailing roundtrip Vancouver is much better than roundtrip from Seattle where you must spend a full day and night in open ocean with literally no land in sight and often times, very rough seas in the Pacific. Note that you can still fly RT to Seattle and take the train or bus or rent a car to drive to Vancouver, so please don't rule out those sailings. RT Vancouver eliminates the need for the very short Victoria, BC port stop as well.
I totally agree. The inside passage scenery cruising east of Vancouver Island in calm water definitely beats cruising around the west side out in open ocean.

Just because a company has done something longer does not necessarily mean that they will do it better. All that will matter to you is what kind of experience you have and the condition of the ship you are on, not what a company may have done previously or who owns the bus you are on or the hotel where you stay.

You can have a great cruise with either cruise line. We have enjoyed Alaska cruises with both HAL and Celebrity.

Decide where you want to go and what you want to see, then look at the route maps and pick by itinerary and price, not by the name of the company.

Also read recent reviews to find out about the condition of any ship you are considering.

When people ask about Alaska, I always come back to one thing: HAL owns nearly every train and bus you see there for a reason. They simply own Alaska ipwhen it comes to experience, history and connectivity. On an excursion on another line? Very well could be owned by HAL.

The Oosterdam is a beautiful ship and sized nicer for Alaska IMO.

When we did a DIY land tour in 2008 we saw very few HAL buses, but loads of Princess buses. I was surprised, because from all I had read about HAL and Alaska, I expected to see a larger presence on the roads with their buses.

We just sailed on the Oosterdam last week with our teens. Apparently there were a total of 97 kids on board (there were 200 kids the week before) - a little less than half were in the 13-17 yr old age group. About 12 kids joined the teen group in The Loft and they had a great time. My kids ate dinner and breakfast with us and did the ports with us. The rest of the time was spent with their new friends. My kids had only ever sailed on Carnival previously and they preferred HAL's group. They used the pool and it was warm enough that they had the roof open for most of the week. The aft pool was listed as being for adults only but I never saw anyone using it.

On this sailing, we were fortunate enough to get very close to the glacier in Tracy Arm.

We have sailed Celebrity in the Caribbean but not on the Solstice. Both lines are nice and I found that the age groups were similar. I found service levels very similar but in my opinion, the food on HAL was much better.

For me, it would come down to itinerary and I would probably choose HAL if they were the same.

Good advice to check time in ports. I suggest you first study the ports and glaciers and decide what appeals to you most. Eventually you will set some priorities and then that will make it easier to make a final decision.

I don't buy the argument that because a cruiseline has been in AK longer, they will deliver a better product. They will all get to the ports/glaciers they have listed on the itinerary. (barring any emergencies, weather, etc)

Non-smokers often report they prefer Celebrity, esp. if they are booking a balcony. Celebrity does not allow smoking on balconies, but HAL does. Neither allows smoking in their cabins.

I prefer Glacier Bay, others prefer Hubbard. Either way, you should have a great cruise. Tracy Arm is an awesome fjord, but as already mentioned, the cruiseships don't always make it to the glaciers at the end. Check if the cruise you are interested in offers the add-on small boat excursion into Tracy Arm. Usually it will get you much closer to at least one of the two glaciers at the end.

The Volendam, as already pointed out, is a very scenic cruise, especially if you add on Tracy Arm. The Volendam itself will not sail into Tracy Arm. It makes a "service call." It will drop off those who booked the add on excursion. Combining the transit into Tracy Arm along with a day in Glacier Bay, is quite an awesome cruise IF scenery is your interest. Definitely a great choice. Also, as mentioned, it gives that first full day of sailing to the east of Vancouver Island which is a true highlight. We spent the entire time out on deck that day except to eat.

Good luck with your decision. It is a tough one.

When we did a DIY land tour in 2008 we saw very few HAL buses, but loads of Princess buses. I was surprised, because from all I had read about HAL and Alaska, I expected to see a larger presence on the roads with their buses.

HAL owns Grayline Alaska. The buses, boats, train cars, planes, whatever, aren't branded HAL.

I wouldn't recommend the Volendam because you appear to like the larger ships. But the choice between the two should come down to itinerary. Given your desire to do the inside passage, though, a R/T out of Vancouver would be better. e.g., the Millenium or the Zuiderdam. And the Z would get my vote as it does Glacier Bay.

I don't buy the argument that because a cruiseline has been in AK longer, they will deliver a better product. They will all get to the ports/glaciers they have listed on the itinerary. (barring any emergencies, weather, etc).

let my expand a bit in who I posted that:

HAL gets priority docking, their tours get priority port access in some cases, and Celebrity isn't allowed to sail Glaciar Bay National Park whatsoever (thans to their parent company). That was my point, shoud've mentioned that above.

I spent 14 days onthe O Dam to Hawaii in Jan.

She is a grand old lady

Depends on you expectations

I liked the dignity of Holland

Celeribiy strike me as Beer and pretzels and a younger crowd.

Holland was more like fine wine and canapés. But not stuffy or snobbish? Just good folks.

I am 69 yrs old and not to into the young set. I only saw two young children one one teeager on the Osterdam trip.

On the Celerbity trip we traveled as a family of 11 and had young children with us who hada great time.

Which ever you choose you and your family will have a great trip.

Our next cruise is to Alaska in 2013.

All this feedback is so great!! Thank you all. I'll re-tool to look for Glacier Bay routes (these appear to be more expensive) and the ships out of Vancouver.

I think I'm pretty sold on HAL over Celebrity. I love Celebrity but have only heard the best things about HAL and given their history in Alaska they seem the clear choice.

We have sailed on both ships. If the itineraries are similar, the Solstice is a much nicer ship. It is absolutely beautiful.

I do agree, however, that you should consider an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. That eliminates Celebrity. We just returned from our trip aboard the Westerdam and would recommend that you consider it. It is not the Solstice, but the itinerary is better.

I wouldn't recommend the Volendam because you appear to like the larger ships. But the choice between the two should come down to itinerary. Given your desire to do the inside passage, though, a R/T out of Vancouver would be better. e.g., the Millenium or the Zuiderdam. And the Z would get my vote as it does Glacier Bay.

The reason some of us prefer the Volendam over the Zuiderdam (same itinerary) is because of the Wednesday departure. Cruisers returning say they had fewer ships in ports. If that is not a concern, then the Zuiderdam would surely be another great option.

let my expand a bit in who I posted that:

HAL gets priority docking, their tours get priority port access in some cases, and Celebrity isn't allowed to sail Glaciar Bay National Park whatsoever (thans to their parent company). That was my point, shoud've mentioned that above.

I am not so sure it is an accurate statement that HAL gets priority docking. At one time I know this was considered true. Iin 2008 my HAL Ship was quite a long walk from town in Skagway. Princess definitely had a better dock than we did. This year I have been reading several reviews where returning HAL cruisers say they docked at the farthest dock in Juneau. So, what may have been true at one time, or may be true for some itineraries, is not necessarily true in all cases. The way HAL has been cost cutting so much, I am beginning to wonder if the less desirable docking spots cost less. Who knows, but it surely makes me wonder.

All this feedback is so great!! Thank you all. I'll re-tool to look for Glacier Bay routes (these appear to be more expensive) and the ships out of Vancouver.

Having done Alaska twice, once on Oosterdam out of Seattle and the other on Zuiderdam

out of Vancouver, I encourage you to re-look at leaving from Vancouver for your first cruise to Alaska.

Not only might you head for Glacier Bay but you will spend two days (one on the way north and one

coming back) cruising the inland waterway where you find yourself cruising so close to shore that you

might see not only sea life but land wildlife too.

It really is that close.:D

LOOKAHEAD_0641.jpg

Have a great time!

Having done Alaska twice, once on Oosterdam out of Seattle and the other on Zuiderdam

out of Vancouver, I encourage you to re-look at leaving from Vancouver for your first cruise to Alaska.

Not only might you head for Glacier Bay but you will spend two days (one on the way north and one

coming back) cruising the inland waterway where you find yourself cruising so close to shore that you

might see not only sea life but land wildlife too.

It really is that close.:D

Have a great time!

Great photo!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! Yes, Vancouver is the way to go if scenery is a priority.

We just returned from Alaska on the Volendam. The itinerary was great - not many ships were in ports and Glacier Bay was just magical. The Captain was the most enthusiastic I have ever seen. He was always on the PA giving info about the wildlife and when to spot whales, porpoises or bears.

The inside passage route we took from Vancouver went through some beautiful narrow channels - something we did not do on our last voyage out of Seattle on NCL.

We have recently sailed on the Oosterdam to Mexico and will be sailing on Celebrity Reflection in January. We really like the larger ships, too, but for this itinerary- go with a midsize ship. The ship is older- but well maintained. No complaints. You should check it out.

Princess is a pretty big presence in Alaska. They, like HAL, get priority on many things. They are are also considered one of the best cruise lines for Alaska. Not just HAL.

Archived