Help me overcome my fear of flying

celebrity

Please help! I am over the moon that I am booked for Sept 2013 on the Equinox to Italy and the Greek Isles. This has been my dream trip and I'm finally taking the plunge. The one downer for me is flying. The idea of being stuck on a plane for so many hours is making me very anxious. The longest flight I've taken is 6 hours and that was rough. I don't have a fear of flying per se, I'm claustrophobic.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep calm on a flight from NY to Barcelona?

If you can manage to book an overnight flight and can sleep most of the ride, that would definitely help pass the time. My very first flight ever I was actually sleeping on the runway before takeoff! It's a nice feeling to be waking up as we're descending as well!

At one time some of the airlines ran programs to combat fear of flying, you may want to see if any still do. Ambien..wonderful but if you are not used to them you may not wake up by the end of the flight. Maybe consider speaking to a psychologist or perhaps a hypnotherapist. Also fill up an iPad, Walkman or iPod with your favorite songs and take it on board with a set of headphones... Very calming. Ps Alcohol is NOT recommended!

I don't think it's a good idea to recommend prescription medications to any poster here. We don't know the OP's medical history nor any other pertinent information. To talk about Bonine is one thing, but things like Ambien or Xanax, meds that have serious side effects, is really not a good idea.

OP, speak to your personal physician. Don't take for prescription medication by posters on this board who don't know anything about you. We don't know your medical history nor anything else. The best thing to do is to see your physician and talk about your fear of flying. BTW, no one here can help you get rid of your fears.

The movies are in English....I flew to Rome in May and the movie

is on the screen on the back of the seat in front of you. There

are choices of languages so tap on "English" on the screen, put

your earphones in and watch/litsen to the movie that way.

I think it goes without saying that if the OP were to pursue medications such as xanax or ambien, they would HAVE to go through their doctor to get a prescription. I see no harm in suggesting it.

I used to have horrible anxiety about flying, talked to my doc and he prescribed xanax when I needed to fly. After about ten years of having to fly 4-5 times a year on our corporate jet, and then a few commercial flights a year, I no longer have the anxiety issues.

I have an employee that has huge flying issues, his doc prescribed valium for when he has to fly. The more he has flown, the less he has to use it.

i feel the OP's pain, and realize how it can cause you to really miss out on a lot of great life experiences. If it takes a bit of medication to get over the hump, it is well worth it. I can attest to the improved quality of my life as my wife and I take at least 5 "flying trips" a year now!

You might want to consider booking a business class seat. It is a much roomier cabin and this early out could be a decent option price wise. No, not coach prices but an option that offers much more room and space to abate the claustrophobia.

You need to discuss this with your physician before considering the drug options suggested. I was an international flight attendant for many years. There were so many times I saw people that took some sleeping aids, etc. and did not have good reactions on the airplane. If you take something, give it some test runs before the flight.

Finally, when booking your flight make sure you book a wide body aircraft. Avoid the Boeing 757 which some airlines are now using to fly to Europe. It is a narrow body(fuselage) jet. Great airplane as a crew member but not so good for long haul as a passenger.

I got a late start flying-not until college age--and did not have fun for about 10 years, walked all over airport, took valium, walked all thru plane in flight, still nervous, sweaty, etc.

My daughter won a trip to Tasmania in 1985, and we were facing 13 legs of flights there and back and going up to Great Barrier Reef on optional trips.

I was worried about getting over there and freezing up and not coming back. I went to a psychologist for 5 sessions of self hypnosis, and relaxation stuff.

At end of class he gave me 2 sided cassette-remember those-- of relaxing talk to take on the plane with me.

I did great in 1985 and have since, been to Europe twice, to Hawaii and all across USA.

Over the years, I converted it to CD and then to mp3, so it could go on a thumb drive or ipod.

I have given it to many people over the years.

Give me your email, and we will get your snail mail address offline, and I'll get you a copy.

Let's take a different approach. OP stated that they are apprehensive about flying. It is unlikely that soothing music in their ears or other remedies suggested will relieve their anxiety. It may well be that the assistance of a trained, licensed professional might be necessary.

OP might want to investigate short term assistance (counseling or other professional help) to assist in dealing with their concerns. If OP or spouse is employed by a company that has and Employee Assistance Program, or similar, they can provide some advice at no charge t the employee , and it could be worthwhile to pursue.

No offense Jim, but you have no idea if the suggestions made would work or not. A bunch of people with similar issues responded how they dealt with fight anxiety. They are all reasonable options.

And, the common thread in all of them was that they started with a health care professional (MD, therapist, psychologist) that probably provided different options. You cannot get xanax, ambien or valium without consulting your doctor; I thought that went without saying.

So at the end of the day you just said that everything that was suggested was hooey, the OP should consult their doc. That is exactly what everyone that posted just said, in one way or another.

Just sayin.......;)

I think the suggestion of a business class seat is a good one, if you can afford it. Also, when you get to the airport you might inquire about a business class upgrade - sometimes airlines sell unsold business class seats for a few hundred dollars. If you can't fly business, I would pick a seat near the front of coach - sitting in the back might give you a visual that is not helpful; I would also sit by the window and not in the middle of the plane if possible. My mom finds a page turner book - she reads 50 pages or so before she leaves home to make sure. I load up my IPad with movies and tv shows and I have very good headphones. Of course, wearing comfortable clothes and having food that you love will make you physically more comfortable which might help relax you. Good luck to you.

(by the way, the OP asked for tips to help coping with claustrophobia, which has not prevented the OP from taking long flights in the past, or presumably, riding in a car, or doing other common acts in small places. I don't think urging him/her to get medical or psychological attention is all that helpful.)

Edited by JFontaine

I don't get anxious flying , but I am claustrophobic. I always book an aisle seat, and if traveling with DH, he books the aisle across from me. I need the freedom to be able to get up when needed and having that open space next to me helps. I don' t take prescription drugs on my flights, but if it was an international flight I would check with my MD and get some Xanax.

Flying is a necessary evil. No one really likes it. Get an aisle seat. You won't feel as claustrophobic. When I fly- I am so excited about getting to where ever I'm going that I don't really think about being confined. I was stuck in a window seat once and that sucked though. That is claustophobic.

Honestly- just focus on your destination.

I am claustrophobic as well and I feel I do best in a window seat. Constantly being able to look directly out. I prefer to be right in front of or a row or two back from the wing (just not directly over) to get the most expansive view. Then if I start to feel the choking, like I can't breathe feeling, then I turn on the vent above me for some air.

BTW, I also have an Rx for Xanax. Pop 2 of them when the plane pulls up to the gate from the arriving flight. By the time they get everyone off and it's time to board, I'm feeling better. Not like I'm cured, but more like I don't really care what happens :cool: .

You have to do what's right for you. I also have Ambien, but I wouldn't recommend that for a flight because it's long acting (8 hrs worth of total oblivion). And just in case you need to be awake in case of in an incident. Ambien would render you useless.

The best thing to do would be to discuss it with your Dr. My way works for me, but as some already said, it's not a one cure fix all for everyone. Best of luck! It gets better!!!

The movies are in English....I flew to Rome in May and the movie

is on the screen on the back of the seat in front of you. There

are choices of languages so tap on "English" on the screen, put

your earphones in and watch/litsen to the movie that way.

If you are lucky you'll get the individual tv's. Our flights in April and returning in May from Europehad only the monitors on the ceilings, and the movie system wasn't working on the flight out and our seats were positioned so that I couldn't see the screen in comfort on the way back.

After this I am making sure to check out what kind of entertainment systems the particular plane we are flying in has. We hadn't had that before. They were long flights with no movies to watch!

I love to fly, but I also get claustrophobic on flights beyond a certain length, and my ADHD doesn't help matters.

We go to Hawai'i every year, which for us is a six-hour flight. What helps me is creating a schedule of things I'm going to do during the flight, and then sticking to it. First I might read magazines for an hour or two (I always bring 3 or 4 with me). Then I might watch a movie on my iPad. After that I try to nap for a while. Grab the iPad again and play games for an hour. Etc. It might sound silly, but it really does help me if I know that I have scheduled "activities" for myself.

No offense Jim, but you have no idea if the suggestions made would work or not. A bunch of people with similar issues responded how they dealt with fight anxiety. They are all reasonable options.

And, the common thread in all of them was that they started with a health care professional (MD, therapist, psychologist) that probably provided different options. You cannot get xanax, ambien or valium without consulting your doctor; I thought that went without saying.

So at the end of the day you just said that everything that was suggested was hooey, the OP should consult their doc. That is exactly what everyone that posted just said, in one way or another.

Just sayin.......;)

Unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily go without saying. Hundreds of thousands of people purchase medications online, without benefit of a prescription. Not saying the OP will do this, but many people do, and it's a surprisingly high number.

Edited by kitty9

I don't get nervous about flying, I just get anxious for all the messing around before the flight. I just take one aspirin about an hour before we travel anywhere and that seems to do the trick. I don't like car journeys either and take an aspirin before long car journeys too. They seem to calm me right down.