Help me overcome my fear of flying

celebrity

Please help! I am over the moon that I am booked for Sept 2013 on the Equinox to Italy and the Greek Isles. This has been my dream trip and I'm finally taking the plunge. The one downer for me is flying. The idea of being stuck on a plane for so many hours is making me very anxious. The longest flight I've taken is 6 hours and that was rough. I don't have a fear of flying per se, I'm claustrophobic.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep calm on a flight from NY to Barcelona?

I don't like to fly and when we flew from Philly to Barcelona last Fall, I had a glass of wine with dinner on the plane (it was an overnight flight.). I wore comfy clothes. After dinner I put on a movie, put comfy slippers on, took a Nyqil (they now sell Zquil just for sleep), took out my pillow and before you know it I was asleep. Next thing I knew it was morning and they were serving breakfast.

Jo-Ann

One way to get around the long flight is to take the Queen Mary 2 trans Atlantic sailing from NY to Southampton and then do the same to get gack back. We have thought about doing that and then spending some time taking advantage of those cruise deals in Europe or just travel around the countries. I don't know if time is an issue for you or what the cost difference is instead of flying. I would rather sail than fly. There is no joy in flying anymore.

Then you could take a shorter flight or take a train to your destination.

My cousin was deathly afraid of flying. While raising their family, her husband fly all over the world for Pratt & Whitney, but she would never join him. Finally with the kids grown and both being retired, she decided to try flying. I think she tried hypnosis. Anyway, she loved it and they flew all over after she gave it a try.

My sister is another case. Had to go to Northwest Airlines to go to their fear of flying class. She did it, but never nick it, and still really doesn't fly. I think she misses allot out of life.

I may have missed it but did anyone suggest United's non-stop from Newark to Rome...they offer economy+ seating for a semi-reasonable upcharge and you do get a lot more leg room. Book an aisle in economy +, if it is offered on your flight and go and enjoy it. We made that trip in June of 2010 and it was THE best trip ever for us. PS, no I do not work for United, I am a long time Continental Elite FF who is very unhappy with the airline now post merger BUT, the E+ seats can be a blessing if you can't afford biz for FC.

Have had fear of flying and mild claustrophobia all my life but 30 years ago I tried hypnosis it helped and I now fly everywhere and long distances with a double whisky! Take no notice of the people who say dont drink on flightsu it really helps believe me! Obviously not if you intend to take pills tho'. If you possibly can afford it go bussiness as there is much more space around you,and a more relaxed atmosphere, we now have to add this into the cost of our vacations!

I'll echo many of the others and say speak to your physician about prescribing you some anti-anxiety pills. I like Ativan - you can get the ones that melt under your tongue..they act really quickly. I was prescribed 12 pills (no refills) during a rough time and they lasted forever (I think I still have a few left..years later..though expired)...because just knowing I had the OPTION of taking them relaxed me!

One way to get around the long flight is to take the Queen Mary 2 trans Atlantic sailing from NY to Southampton and then do the same to get gack back. We have thought about doing that and then spending some time taking advantage of those cruise deals in Europe or just travel around the countries. I don't know if time is an issue for you or what the cost difference is instead of flying. I would rather sail than fly. There is no joy in flying anymore.

Then you could take a shorter flight or take a train to your destination.

This is a great idea. I've done it. This would definitely make you less stressed about the trip. The QM2 was really nice (although food and service in the MDR was so-so). It's a huge ship and cuts through the waves like butter.

Ummm, I would be careful with Ambien. As a nurse, I have seen my share of bizarre behaviour with patients who have taken this med. Even my girlfriend, who suffers from insomnia, can report less than pleasant side effects. Fear of flying is a toughy. Add claustrophobia is a double whammy. A low dose sedative like Valium or Xanax may be a better choice to calm the nerves. Of course, flying first class, as expensive as it is, may be another option.

Amen to that! I'm an ICU nurse and I've had my share of taking care of patients who have "overly used" such sedatives/hynotics so I was blown away when the poster whom you responded to stated to take lots of it! Exactly what does he/she mean by "LOTS?" The maximum dose for Ambien on a nightly/daily basis right before sleep is 10mg. If you're not able to sleep after taking the maximum dose, then you're staying awake! Taking an additional dose will bring you one step closer to the emergency room!

Oh, and that same poster said that "you will feel numb and sleep through the night." Let me add to the list of other things that can happen: lethargy, incoherent speech and possible respiratory depression. Moral of the this post: if you are taking prescription narcotics, sedatives, hypnotics, etc., follow the darn instructions on the bottle or the drug information supplied by the pharmacy that comes with prescription.

I don't get nervous about flying, I just get anxious for all the messing around before the flight. I just take one aspirin about an hour before we travel anywhere and that seems to do the trick. I don't like car journeys either and take an aspirin before long car journeys too. They seem to calm me right down.

I don't get this at all! I don't understand how a non-narcotic pain medication with mild anti-clotting properties would decrease anxiety. If anything, the blood thinning properties would increase oxygen delivery to all the major organs and tissues so I don't see how this process would calm anyone's nerves. But hey, if that works for you then good for you!

Please help! I am over the moon that I am booked for Sept 2013 on the Equinox to Italy and the Greek Isles. This has been my dream trip and I'm finally taking the plunge. The one downer for me is flying. The idea of being stuck on a plane for so many hours is making me very anxious. The longest flight I've taken is 6 hours and that was rough. I don't have a fear of flying per se, I'm claustrophobic.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep calm on a flight from NY to Barcelona?

Since you have a year I would start a program of yoga and meditation. I would include some calming oils, and some calming music and I would bring those on the plane to assist in relaxation.....

I know it might sound a little crazy but in one year you can make a huge difference in your life......

Good luck........

I may have missed it but did anyone suggest United's non-stop from Newark to Rome...they offer economy+ seating for a semi-reasonable upcharge and you do get a lot more leg room. Book an aisle in economy +, if it is offered on your flight and go and enjoy it. We made that trip in June of 2010 and it was THE best trip ever for us. PS, no I do not work for United, I am a long time Continental Elite FF who is very unhappy with the airline now post merger BUT, the E+ seats can be a blessing if you can't afford biz for FC.

All the major airlines offer economy plus now. Also how much legroom depends on what model the jet is not the airline. Those double decker jets I think 747? that carry 500 plus PAX have little legroom/armroom or seat room-no matter what airline-we flew one on Air France in coach-hated it-hubby who used to work for an airline-so he has knowledge- said it was that particular model jet. It turned out we had flown on that model jet before but because we were employees flying standby that trip and business class was not sold out, we got business class so I had no idea how cramped coach was. thank goodness we got business class that trip or he would have never got me to fly to Europe again.

However on 767? (hopefully I do not have the jet model #s reversed- but the big jet that is not double decker and holds only about 350) I have flown in coach on both Delta and British airways-they give decent legroom/buttroom/armroom in coach.

I did notice on our last flight on British airways this past June that their economy plus seats and they gave great room. Their business class the seats were even better, they would actually lie down like a bed.

I requested to hubby that we go for economy plus next time we fly across the Atlantic/ Pacific or any flight over 5 hours. I would love one of those bed seats but I know we could not afford to go to Europe again if I had to have that.

Of course if your situation is debilitating or makes you very uncomfortable seeing your physician is the best answer. If you do get meds, very good advice to try them out beforehand to see how you react.

If you are talking milder problems, I can relate. I am mildly claustrophobic and find I do best in aisle seats. I also agree that the size of the plane can make a huge difference. I hate the long narrow bodied planes and avoid them where I can - certainly on long flights. The wider planes just seem so much more spacious, and there is more headroom usually as well. First or business class is best, but very expensive. I take original Dramamine which makes me very sleepy and allows me to nap on the plane. That helps me - may not work for all. I also load up my IPod with alot of my favorite songs, including a playlist of soothing music.

Last and not least, while you can't do this all throughout the flight, I bring things like Soduku that occupy my mind. I had a family crisis which resulted in some temporary severe anxiety issues for me and keeping the mind occupied was one of the helpful tips I learned from the psychologist I saw for awhile. Despite people's beliefs about multi-tasking, the brain can really only focus on one thing at a time. If you can successfully focus on something like that, the time can really fly by, so to speak. Good luck:)

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but I am in the same dilemma, I've been on airplanes before (like 13 times or so) but lately I just can't book my cruise which is off Miami port. I need to fly from Montreal to FLL but everytime I get to the point of booking I chicken out, I have a HUGE plane fobia :)

Hope you manged your fear and had an amazing trip (many even more since 2012)!

I know this thread is old but I am in the same dilemma, I've been on airplanes before (like 13 times or so) but lately I just can't book my cruise which is off Miami port. I need to fly from Montreal to FLL but everytime I get to the point of booking I chicken out, I have a HUGE plane fobia :)

Hope you manged your fear and had an amazing trip (many even more since 2012)!

Hi RONENLIN,

Totally understand a fear of flying... Mr Sloop has a fear of heights in general... So flying for him is a real challenge (although he does do it under much distress / anxiety when it is the only option for getting where we want to go

Lol if you can swing the time off... Drive

You'd then be joining the many Thousands of Canadians who do so annually. Montreal to Fort Lauderdale is approximately 24 to 27 Hours Driving time (depending on your routing) for about 2600 Kms

You can drive yourself, or car pool with someone else (very popular option)

We drive south often... And it isn't that bad. Less stressful than flying for Mr Sloop... And with today's flight prices a heck of a lot cheaper

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Several things that help me are ( in order of importance) a glass of wine, a really good book, or a movie to watch on my iPad. This helps me relax and focus my attention on something other than my fear of flying. As others have said, I recommend talking to your doctor if you are truly incapacitated by your fear of flying.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I fly long haul regularly - and have a huge claustrophobic problem

Someone else mentioned that urgent panic of "needing to get out" - I have had that especially on trains and I have literally walked through a glass door (have the scars to prove it) - so suffice to say - I empathise and understand.

Seeing your doctor for meds is of course good advise - if nothing else I personally find low doses of diazapam (prescribed) are enough just to take the edge off my anxiety.

I am far worse on night flights. I handle the transatlantic flight west bound no problem - but coming back on the night flight - I hate it.

If budget allows - upgrade on the night flight - for example when I am flying home from the caymans - I save my upgrade for coming home - its always British Airways - and their premium economy allows for extra room without breaking the bank.

Practical advise - pre booking your seats with extra legroom - and an aisle

these are factors which can help immensely.

Comfort - I carry flight sox and those ballerina fold up slippers - change my shoes as soon as I board - and make my feet feel free and not closed in. I hate tight around my feet - comfy is key, loose woollen sox - those things that make you feel comfy without being claustro. I also bring a cashmere to drape around me. Comfort zone - and if you are in an exit aisle - you get a freezin chill from the doors - so an extra wrap is paramount.

Seat Guru is great - If I am in economy I actually quite like the last three rows in the tail -although its a bit more bumpy - there is loads of room back there to get up and walk around.

Being near a galley which you can move around in helps.

Unfortunately to get from A to B - there is only one way -

Try to focus on the positive - break the journey down into sectors in your head - sector one for me is to get passed dinner - then its movie time - then couple of wines and a sleep - then before I know it - its breakfast/coffee - and coming into land - it passes - breathe - relax - breathe -

The audio channels now have soothing spa like music - these are good to drift off to and to ease the anxiety.

IF you get an attack - let the crew know - dont suffer in silence - I know if hit a bad one - my body shuts down and I faint. My husband counts with me - breathe 1,2,3,4,5, etc etc - he is great.

I have bad attacks on ship elevators - I always stand by the door facing the corner and dont care who comes in I aint shifting. Some look up - I need to be by the door and just stare at the corner. If I looked around me at the people closing in I know I will faint.

Good luck - if I can do it - and I do regularly - anyone can - I travel from scotland to London on one flight, and then have to do 2-3 world wide. Somehow I get there - as I say, if budget stretches - use the upgrade on whichever is the night flight - darkness always makes it harder.

Hope all goes well. x

Last time I flew was in 2009, the takeoffs is what kills me, as soon as I hear the engines go full blast I go nuts. I was on Ativan (I believe its similar to Gravol) but it did not really help much in terms of drug. Driving is about 3 days from what I've heard plus it mid winter so might not be a good idea...I am trying to find some info online to help me with my anxiety, maybe I'll be able to overcome it till then. If only they had the option of anesthesia on airplanes lol.

Last time I flew was in 2009, the takeoffs is what kills me, as soon as I hear the engines go full blast I go nuts. I was on Ativan (I believe its similar to Gravol) but it did not really help much in terms of drug. Driving is about 3 days from what I've heard plus it mid winter so might not be a good idea...I am trying to find some info online to help me with my anxiety, maybe I'll be able to overcome it till then. If only they had the option of anesthesia on airplanes lol.

I'm not a pharmacist but if I'm correct, Gravol is an anti-nausea medication, not an anxiety drug. It is NOT similar to diazepam (Ativan). Please talk to your physician. For me, Ativan was a miracle! I use it occasionally and situationally. My fear of flying was acute and paralyzingly. When it was first prescribed for me, over a decade ago, I'd need to take a .5 mg tablet the night before a flight, one the morning of, and a third when I boarded. Now, only one tab on the way to the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not a pharmacist but if I'm correct, Gravol is an anti-nausea medication, not an anxiety drug. It is NOT similar to diazepam (Ativan). Please talk to your physician. For me, Ativan was a miracle! I use it occasionally and situationally. My fear of flying was acute and paralyzingly. When it was first prescribed for me, over a decade ago, I'd need to take a .5 mg tablet the night before a flight, one the morning of, and a third when I boarded. Now, only one tab on the way to the airport.

Oops, sorry, cut myself off. Just wanted to add that I now enjoy flying again...even with the TSA and other hassles.

Diazapam = Valium

Lorazepam = Ativan

You're right, you're not a pharmacist.;):)

Diazapam = Valium

Lorazepam = Ativan

You're right, you're not a pharmacist.;):)

Right church, wrong pew, as they say.

Same family of drugs (benzodiazepine)...but thanks for the additional clarification. I only get the name brand and I forgot the generic name. ☺️

Hope this helps you out. Enjoy your cruise on the Equinox. She is an awesome ship. We did the same cruise in 2013 for 13 days and it was great. The link below has a section for the fear of flying that is really good.

http://www.airsafenews.com/

Regards

Ed

Upgrade to premium economy or business class - I feel claustrophobic in economy / coach transatlantic - also try a bulk head seat, I find it helps if I am not looking at the back of some one else's head. I also get medication from my doctor. I flew return london to USA this summer on my own, DH stayed home alone, followed the above and I can say it was a pleasantly surprising experience - even with the treat of a little upgrade to upper class Virgin on return ........